Browns General Discussion

candyman93

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

AVP and Stump might both be guys who excel at the things we’ve done the last couple of years scheme wise and it’s evident that it’s not what Watson is best at and comfortable with.  Why not bring in guys who can incorporate more of those things successfully?  

I get you hate Watson, I do too, but he’s here for 2-3 more years regardless.  Their success is tied to his.  We need to run more spread, RPO, motion, etc as that’s what works for him. Hell that dude might just be on staff already in Musgrave.

It's Stefanski's offense. Nothing is changing without him doing it. 

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

idk, I guess I just don’t get the problem? I feel like dude has earned the right to tweak his staff after a season most would consider successful if he chooses, especially after last off season when they made two hires that are highly regarded around the league and were obvious improvements.  Why can’t that happen here?  

He can do whatever he wants with his staff, he held on to a DC that didn't fit his personnel for far too long. 

I am wondering if this is just a Watson thing. Maybe he just personally doesn't love AVP. He can and is holding us hostage so he can pretty much call whatever shots he wants. Stefanski better kiss his backside or he could be next.

"Jimmy, Kevie is being mean can we get a new daddy?"

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Don’t like his name or????  

Granted, I don’t know much about him but he’s an offensive line coach in Seattle. Maybe he’s an offensive genius that just hasn’t gotten the recognition yet. But man, if he’s a failure and not ready to take the leshaun offense to the next level then everybody is gone it’s that simple.

Just now, NateDawg said:

Granted, I don’t know much about him but he’s an offensive line coach in Seattle. Maybe he’s an offensive genius that just hasn’t gotten the recognition yet. But man, if he’s a failure and not ready to take the leshaun offense to the next level then everybody is gone it’s that simple.

To me he doesn’t really need to be some savant or whatever, he’s not running the whole offense. If he’s particularly capable at integrating ground concepts from pistol/gun he’ll be a good pairing with Musgrave id imagine as that’s his whole deal.

2 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Is Bill Callahan still on our staff? I was of the opinion that he was.

This is 100% pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if he’s really interviewing for an OC position or if this is due diligence if Callahan leaves to work on his son’s staff should he get a HC gig.

3 hours ago, NateDawg said:

I hate to rush to judgment but don’t really see this as the guy with experience tailoring an offense to a guy like leshaun. If we didn’t like AVP.

If the Browns wanted to have the best run game in the league, sign me up for him.

lets be realistic, its not about the run game, this is about maximizing watson. A move like this is extremely head-scratching to me because I dont see how he helps Watson. Just go grab the OC from the titans.

The issue is, the Browns will never get a legit OC because what OC would want to come here or what offensive coach would want to come here and take the role of "OC" when they dont get to call plays?

2 minutes ago, buno67 said:

The issue is, the Browns will never get a legit OC because what OC would want to come here or what offensive coach would want to come here and take the role of "OC" when they dont get to call plays?

yeah, that’s definitely been and issue for McVay, Shanny, Reid, etc 

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

yeah, that’s definitely been and issue for McVay, Shanny, Reid, etc 

So stef is now in the tier of McVay, Shanny, and Reid?

Reid's last two OCs were not so great with advancement. Nagy flopped hard in Chicago after his great first year and EB was stuck and had to leave elsewhere to be taken seriously as an OC or HC candidate.

Shanny can be to a point but a lot of his coaches that been hired away have been with him for a while. Like Mike McDaniel was here in Cleveland. Matt LaFleur had to leave the wings of Shanny and McVay and take on a playcalling position with titans to be taken seriously for an HC position. Even then LaFleur spent a lot of time coaching under Mcvay and Shanny. It seems like the guys getting poached from those staffs, had to leave to prove themselves or were there a long time.

Stef just fired a majority of his offensive staff. 

6 minutes ago, buno67 said:

So stef is now in the tier of McVay, Shanny, and Reid?

lol wut?  Is that what I said?  

Reid's last two OCs were not so great with advancement. Nagy flopped hard in Chicago after his great first year and EB was stuck and had to leave elsewhere to be taken seriously as an OC or HC candidate.

Shanny can be to a point but a lot of his coaches that been hired away have been with him for a while. Like Mike McDaniel was here in Cleveland. Matt LaFleur had to leave the wings of Shanny and McVay and take on a playcalling position with titans to be taken seriously for an HC position. Even then LaFleur spent a lot of time coaching under Mcvay and Shanny. It seems like the guys getting poached from those staffs, had to leave to prove themselves or were there a long time.

Who’s talking about how those coaches performed?  You said no one would want to be an OC here because they wouldn’t get to call plays, presumably because you think that limits their ability for advancements and better gigs, no?  

I’m not sure you’re getting the point my man. 

Stef just fired a majority of his offensive staff. 

He fired 3 of the 11 offensive coaches.  I haven’t taken a math course in a while but I’m pretty sure that’s not a majority. 

8 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

The Browns hiring an OC is inconsequential. I don't think Alex Van Pelt really did much, to be honest. Again, we don't know being outside the orgnaization, but let's be real: It's Stefanski's offense. Maybe he wants a different offensive brain to pick. 

Additionally if what AVP likes to do overlaps with Stefanski eventually there comes a point of redundancy. You don’t need people to tell you what you already know. 

And as much as people seem to love Stump for whatever reason, I was absolutely underwhelmed by our schemes on the ground the second half of the year.  Idk man, not saying he’s bad or whatever but I’m not seeing an irreplaceable dude. 

9 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

The Browns hiring an OC is inconsequential. I don't think Alex Van Pelt really did much, to be honest. Again, we don't know being outside the orgnaization, but let's be real: It's Stefanski's offense. Maybe he wants a different offensive brain to pick. 

Well AVP was also the QB coach as well. 

the issue at hand was this rumor of interviewing the Seattle OL coach to be OC, doesn’t make sense unless they think Callahan might leave to coach with his son and they are using it as an opportunity to interview him. they might want him to be OC/OL coach and they hire a Watson connected coach to be QB coach 

3 hours ago, buno67 said:

Well AVP was also the QB coach as well. 

the issue at hand was this rumor of interviewing the Seattle OL coach to be OC, doesn’t make sense unless they think Callahan might leave to coach with his son and they are using it as an opportunity to interview him. they might want him to be OC/OL coach and they hire a Watson connected coach to be QB coach 

If he wants Callahan then we should make them give us a 6th. I'm petty.