Trade Duane Brown?

OzzyTexan

2 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sea.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Seattle-Seahawks-have-inquired-about-LT-Duane-Brown-108686147/Amp

Interesting development, to say the least.

EDIT: Compensation mentioned have been all over the place. 1st round pick, or TE Jimmy Graham, or CB Jermey Lane, or DE Michael Bennett.

I say an emphatic YES to any of those options.

Seattle isnt giving us a 1st for Brown, but I would take any of those players

Trading Brown at this stage would be stupid, ESPECIALLY to the Seahawks.  We have 1 more game to play before Brown has to suit up or he essentially is retired and its vs. the Seahawks in week 8.  Certainly would be nice if Rick Smith would throw him some sort of a bone during the bye week to get him back for that game, especially if Clark is hurt, but babyface suits up for Colts game in week 9 or his deal extends to 2019.  Brown has played his hand and the Texans offense survived without him.  If he still wants to play football, its for the Texans in week 9, period.

3 hours ago, Apollo Stallion said:

Trading Brown at this stage would be stupid, ESPECIALLY to the Seahawks.  We have 1 more game to play before Brown has to suit up or he essentially is retired and its vs. the Seahawks in week 8.  Certainly would be nice if Rick Smith would throw him some sort of a bone during the bye week to get him back for that game, especially if Clark is hurt, but babyface suits up for Colts game in week 9 or his deal extends to 2019.  Brown has played his hand and the Texans offense survived without him.  If he still wants to play football, its for the Texans in week 9, period.

I disagree.  We are 3-3 right now and have both Watt and Mercilus out for the season.  I dont think a returning Duane Brown who needs time to get in shape and game speed will make a big difference and improve our team.  Id a team liek Seattle offers us a 1st or even a 2nd for him I would take it. 

Let's hold our horses for a hot minute.. Brown is an elite level LT. He is valuable, and we should settle for no less than a 2nd round pick, even if he continues to hold out giving up his game checks. Browns a 1st off the Colts for Trent Richardson. Brown is actually good. I think if the team would accept him back in the locker room after all that and he can play at his usual level it may be a good idea to just hold on to him until his contract expires. I'm cool playing this same game next year as long as we can keep our heads above water until he comes back, and then he's free to sign wherever he wants, but if I'm Rick Smith talking to one of these teams interested in Brown I'm like "Here's the deal, we've got your franchise LT. He's right over here waiting for whoever, and we can hook you up, but you gotta take care of me you naam sayn? I'm not GIVING you Duane Brown fuq outta here with that."

If the move is to trade Duane Brown for a pick (1st or 2nd), there are a few teams with the cap room to absorb his $9.4M salary

I included some of the team's cap space and current LT (if player would not likely be moved from LT)

49ers $62,658,918 (Joe Staley)

Browns  $62,622,426 (Joe Thomas)

Jaguars $37,834,718 (conference rival + Cam Robinson)

Titans $30,175,554 (conference rival + Taylor Lewan)

Colts $20,015,836 (conference rival)

Jets$18,886,888 (Kelvin Beachum)

Buccaneers$18,091,053 (Donovan Smith)

Bengals$12,495,471 (possibly)

Packers $12,388,384 (David Bakhtiari)

Bears $11,910,044 (Charles Leno Jr. - possibly)

Vikings $11,440,68569 (could shift Riley Reiff to right side - possibly)

Cowboys $11,226,737 (Tyron Smith)

Broncos $10,927,55169 (Garrett Bolles)

Chargers $9,815,606 (Russell Okung)

I think a deal with Bengals makes the most sense (I would then hate to face them in playoffs tho ;) ).

Duane Brown + a 2018 3rd round pick to Bengals for their 2018 1st + OLB / DE Chris Smith

Our offense has been 10x better this season than last. Brown has no leverage. We also aren't getting a pick in the first 3 rounds for him. I say we should get a 5th or 6th from him and move on. Save that money and move forward into this off season where our Priority has to be finding a LT and LG. I think Davenport will settle into the RT spot for the future. I also think Martin and Mancz should be starting at C/RG 

we can have a ton of cap space next off season if we clean house of some of these older guys.

We can get rid of brown and save 9 million

Cushing can either take a massive pay cut and playing cut or we cut him and save 8.5 million

Kareem Jackson needs to restructure his deal and move to safety. I think he would do well playing next to Hal, but we can cut him and save 6.75 million

Jeff Allen can be cut and save us 5 million, but he might be worth that much to keep. 

We were already going to have 30 million in cap space. We can basically get to 50 million without losing any talent that is currently helping the team and we can get to 60 million if we need to. 

We also could legit let every one of our free agents walk this off season. We have several starters that will be free agents, but we can do without any of them.

Jonathan Joseph

Chris Clark

Breno Giacomini

Su'a-Filo

Bruce Ellington

Tom Savage

Shane lechler 

I mean we could bring some of those guys back, but it would have to be on cheap deals. Jospeh can still play some ball, so I might bring him back to be our 3rd CB. 

Ellington has been a solid 3rd WR and Clark has been a solid swing tackle. 

53 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

Finally got to much on his pocket book

I think this was the week where he'd lose a year and his contact would toll; Coming in now and playing 10 games is the only way he'd get credit for the season.

Hope they don't rescind any fines or fees...

Clark is hurt apparently...

Duane waiting until last minute to report 

Texans LT Duane Brown ended his holdout and has rejoined the team.

Brown had to report this week to prevent his contract from tolling. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Brown is physically ready to practice, but it remains to be seen if the Texans will welcome him back with open arms. Pro Football Talk reported Sunday the Texans are open to trading the left tackle.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Texans OT Chris Clark will miss one-to-two weeks with a calf injury.

Clark had been filling in at left tackle, but Duane Brown should take over there after ending his holdout on Monday. Once healthy, Clark could replace Breno Giacomini on the right side.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Texans LT Duane Brown will not be traded.

Brown ended his holdout by reporting to the team on Monday. It is good timing for the Texans with fill-in LT Chris Clark expected to miss some time with a calf injury, although it remains to be seen if Brown will be ready to play this week. When he does get back on the field, Brown will be a big upgrade for an offense which is already trending the right way with rookie Deshaun Watson at quarterback.

Archived