2021 NFL Draft Prospects

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Trey Hill, C, #55

I like what I see from Hill. Light feet for a man of his size. His size is useful as it stops space eaters in their tracks while also stuffing pass rushing DTs. The more I look into these center prospects, the more I love what I see.

Josh Myers, C, #71

I see plenty of potential there with Myers. With a little bit of added strength I can see a jump to being an elite IOL at the collegiate level. He’s got great size and would be able to reunite him with Dobbins.

Edited by diamondbull424

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, DreamKid said:

I said it last draft season prior to him opting out, but DeVonta Smith is a perfect fit for what the Ravens need at WR... well, he’d be “perfect” if he had the same playing style, but weighed 225 lbs and was an imposing blocker, but hey I’ll sacrifice his blocking potential for everything else he would provide.

This makes it two seasons in a row, where he’s been the absolute go-to receiver for his QB. He was the go-to for Tua before he went down with injury and is now the go-to option for Jones as well. He did this while playing on a roster with other WR talents such as Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs, and now Jaylen Waddle.

I was hoping he would declare last season and we could acquire him for a 3rd round pick, however, its clear that he’s a likely 1st round pick this season barring something crazy. As a senior and at his rail thin size, I’m sure there’s a solid enough chance that he might fall within our range, similar to Calvin Ridley having done so. Smith reminds me of Chad Johnson. He plays with a ferocity and competitiveness. He’s got a limited frame, but catches everything in sight regardless of if its a contested catch scenario. He attacks the ball at its highest point. His wiry frame also pacts more strength in it than what its appearance would suggest. He’s got great strength pound for pound, but still it would be encouraging to have him bulk up as Hollywood did coming into this season. Hollywood added about 10 lbs to his collegiate weight, if Smith were to do the same it would put him exactly at that same size as Chad Johnson, the WR I think he most compares to.

He’s not a true burner, but his route releases are so advanced (makes sense as he was able to practice with Jerry Jeudy who was the best prospect I’ve ever seen in that regard), he’s got gazelle like quickness and fluidity in and out of his breaks, nice nuance, and his speed is still of mid 4.4 variety, thus allowing him to blow past defenders deep. Playing WR for Alabama also means you’re going to have to block, so even though his frame is less than ideal, he’s not someone that is a liability from a mentality standpoint. He’s got the ability to excel at all three levels of the field. He’s not going to provide much YAC in short passing situations but his quickness, like Hollywood’s allows him to be a threat on any level.

We need another receiver outside of Hollywood with such automatic hands that can be relied upon in big moments. Andrews is a stud, but has 2 or so games a season where he just seems to meltdown and in such games we need a legit difference maker. Smith is perfect as well because like Hollywood, he comes already insanely developed and mature. That means less ceiling, sure, but it means a guy very likely to reach a ridiculously high floor, like Calvin Ridley has been able to do to this point in his NFL career. We won’t have to rely on our coaches who have shown little ability to develop WR talents to this point. Smith can be relied upon against both man and zone coverage, contributing high level skills against each. Ideal fit for our squad.

• Like 1

Speaking of how DeVonta Smith reminds of Calvin Ridley and might be the perfect fit within our offense, I think the Jaylen Waddle injury could be of potential note. Prior to his injury it was thought that he might be a top 10-15 pick. With a high ankle sprain and a fracture, it’s possible that teams shy away from him at the top of the draft and he falls down the board in round one. At 5’10” 185 lbs and with his combination of speed and quickness there’s a lot of electricity to Waddle. Sort of reminds of another version of Hollywood in some respects. Having two Hollywood’s on offense would certainly present defenses with some challenging moments.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Bateman and Moore #2 & #3 respectively-

https://football.razzball.com/2020-devy-top-20-wr-rankings

Have to wonder what will become of Justyn Ross in the process. Could be a 2nd round WR gamble that pays off incredibly well for some team. Considering how our front office tends to avoid injury issues, would probably be surprising that we’d get involved in the fun.

• 2 weeks later...

With the recent talk going on about how to improve this team and how best to build the team moving forward.

With the competing questions being whether to add a 3rd TE because Greg Roman wouldn’t know how to use a WR.

With the contract questions surrounding whether the Ravens will have to choose between a PB level RT with possible PB LT ability, a fringe AP level TE talent, or the best WR we’ve ever drafted...

Also with the continuing ascension of DeVonta Smith from backend of round 1 to top 10 talent, it got me once again wondering what might be the Ravens best draft plan. Introducing:

Kyle Pitts and Pat Friermuth

Well to be fair I saw this video almost a year ago, but at the time I wasn’t thinking of adding another TE.

However we know the Ravens are a team that looks ahead when drafting. Nick Boyle will be a free agent after next season. Mark Andrews will also be a FA after next season. Thus we will both be negotiating with Andrews while also having to possibly endure the loss of Andrews. Adding either Kyle Pitts or Pat Friermuth (who played with McSorely) would provide an answer to all those concerns with a giant YES!

If we need to lower Andrews negotiating ability, we have Pitts/Kyle. If we have to move on from Andrews because he wants too much? We have Kyle/Pat waiting in the wings as the #1 TE. Roman can’t find a way to work a WR into the equation? Both of these guys have fantastic hands and route running ability (easily superior prospects to Hayden Hurst). We get a new offensive coordinator that knows how to build a competent receiving game? Both of these guys are excellent receivers to scheme around the same as we do Andrews.

Friermuth looks like a clone of Andrews, he’s arguably a better route runner but has inferior vertical jumping ability to high point footballs, he’s also a superior blocker, but probably a little less athletic; while Pitts looks more like Darren Waller at TE.

Pitts of the two probably has the better game breaking skillset, but Friermuth I feel would be an easier scheme fit and the superior connection with Jackson. He could operate in both Andrews and Boyle’s roles and produce, protecting for injury, while also being an impact #2/#3 TE regardless of if its 22 or 13 personnel. Defenses would be unable to double both Andrews and Friermuth and both could go off at any moment. Both are excellent redzone threats to boot. Both are zone busters that can’t be contained in man to man coverage.

Pitts on the other hand, made the best corner prospect (ever?) in Stingley Jr look lost when trying to cover him. Pitts is arguably Calvin Johnson playing the TE position.

Either option falling to the Ravens is probably our best bet at getting an elite receiver and taking our offense to the next level.

Edited by diamondbull424

The above being said, if both TEs are off the board along with DeVonta Smith at WR, the nonsexy pick, but player likely Raven could very well be Creed Humphrey.

I know I mentioned him on page one and there does seem to be some other strong IOL candidates, but the Oklahoma well is certainly tried and true. Unless C Jacob Myers (Ohio St) further ascends Humphrey will remain the C#1 on the board and has the school pedigree that worked out for the Ravens with Creed’s former teammate Orlando Brown Jr.

Ben Powers hasn’t provided the impact we had hoped but that also might be because he spent his college career playing alongside Creed Humphrey; life is much easier when you’re playing next to a stud. He’s not quite the best center prospect I’ve ever scouted because he’s not an elite athlete. But he’s got elite power in both his upper body and lower body, he’s cerebral, and he’s absolutely mean on the field- bully.

As mentioned in the video he reminds of the Titans Ben Jones, but he’s a better prospect. Better footwork and superior upper body strength. He’s a rich man’s Ben Jones. Travis Frederick is sort of a higher end comparison, but I don’t think he was quite as good as Frederick. It wouldn’t shock me if Humphrey hits that 40 bench press number, but it equally wouldn’t surprise me if he runs a 5.5 forty yd dash- like Frederick. I do think his 3-cone will show off higher end foot quickness however. His athleticism doesn’t limit him. He’s displayed great reach block ability and is a head hunter in space.