Official NHL Thread

roysmyboy31

And so imagine this: I’m told the Kraken last week informed the Canadiens the price to lay off Jake Allen if he was left unprotected in expansion would be two picks and a prospect. It was a high price, which is why the Habs were talking to at least two teams about potentially trading him last week. The price to lay off Carey Price, who was stunningly left unprotected instead? Well, there was none. Many of us expected the Kraken at the 11th hour to communicate an asset price to Montreal in exchange for not taking their legendary netminder. That call, somewhat surprisingly, never came, I’m told. And maybe it’s because the Kraken figured if the Habs were willing to leave Price unprotected, they were willing to live with the consequences. Habs GM Marc Bergevin has swung for the fences over the past year, going back to his busy 2020 offseason, and his bluff with the Kraken on Price was quite a move.

lol what in the actual hell kind of GMing is this?

Just now, Canadian Saint said:

God it sounds like a GM who's trying to be the smartest guy in the room. WTF was Francis thinking.

When asked about picking Jared McCann, he answered "I was a Soo Greyhound so maybe that helped." So...maybe he isn't thinking.

• Like 1

• I’m told the Kraken last week informed the Canadiens the price to lay off Jake Allen if he was left unprotected in expansion would be two picks and a prospect. It was a high price, which is why the Habs were talking to at least two teams about potentially trading him last week.
  •  
  • It’s heart-crushing for the Flames and their fans to see Mark Giordano leave for Seattle but I think it won’t be long before everyone looks back and credits GM Brad Treliving for not blinking. I’m told the price quoted by Seattle for laying off Giordano was a first- and a third-round pick. I mean, you just can’t pay those assets for a player, as special as he is the franchise, who turns 38 in October and has one year left on his deal.

Francis overplayed his hand, I think. That's an obscene cost for a really good back up goalie and a first and third is steep for Gio. 

It’s interesting that the Kraken didn’t take more advantage of having an exclusive shot at signing some of the top UFAs such as Gabriel Landeskog, Dougie Hamilton and Jaden Schwartz. Sources confirm the Kraken had dialogue with all three camps, but in the end, none of them were signed and therefore not selected as part of the expansion draft. But it doesn’t mean Seattle can’t circle back. Of the three UFAs, my sense is the Kraken went deepest down the road with Schwartz; contract frameworks were at least discussed. It wouldn’t surprise me if Seattle went back to Schwartz’s camp come July 28. When it comes to Landeskog and Hamilton, the top two names on the UFA market this year, I think it’s clearly a situation where the Kraken don’t want to get into the $8 million-plus salaries each player is currently looking to command. Seattle, I believe, is looking to preserve some solid cap room in this flat cap environment in order to also have leverage come the trade deadline next season as well as free agency next summer. It’s probably the way to go.

They aren't even going to be in on Dougie @Forge