Official NHL Thread

roysmyboy31

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

They are playing this in a pretty interesting manner 

From what I’ve been told his first game in the AHL will be today so we’ll see how he does. Heavy minutes and will be given all the opportunities. 

2 weeks in the AHL lines up perfectly for a tournament starting here soon, the name of it is escaping me at the moment. So I can pretty much guarantee he will be lent for that. 

I still think there’s things for him to learn/gain from practicing and being around the NHL club even if he isn’t getting ice time. 

6 hours ago, Forge said:

They are playing this in a pretty interesting manner 

They don't have much of a choice. They can't just send him to the AHL because his age and coming from CHL they'd have to give him back to the CHL for the rest of the year.

He'll do this stint, then go to team Canada for world juniors, then they'll decide what to do.

Just now, mse326 said:

They don't have much of a choice. They can't just send him to the AHL because his age and coming from CHL they'd have to give him back to the CHL for the rest of the year.

He'll do this stint, then go to team Canada for world juniors, then they'll decide what to do.

Sure, but they could just give him back to the CHL team. He's not playing for week at a time and this coming after he didn't play at all in his D-1 year. Would think playing would be a pretty big deal at this stage. 

Just now, Forge said:

Sure, but they could just give him back to the CHL team. He's not playing for week at a time and this coming after he didn't play at all in his D-1 year. Would think playing would be a pretty big deal at this stage. 

He won't gain anything from playing in the CHL. He lit it up before and he would again. He should be playing in the AHL but NHL rules are stupid. Plus then they definitely don't have him this season if they do that.

I wouldnt mind seeing him sent back to the CHL if the Kraken have identified the areas of his game he needs to work on. Send him back and tell him "hey while youre there work on this, this and that and we will see ya in the offseason".

I also agree that the NHL/ CHL rules are dumb. Kinda surprising you cant buy out his contract or something.

Edited by mattyice0401

1 hour ago, mse326 said:

He won't gain anything from playing in the CHL. He lit it up before and he would again. He should be playing in the AHL but NHL rules are stupid. Plus then they definitely don't have him this season if they do that.

Honestly, I wouldn't call what he did last year as lighting it up.  And he's clearly not ready for the NHL, so not having access to him later in the season really shouldn't be that big of a deal. I'd rather just have him playing at this stage of his career given he hasn't been playing as much. 

Fortunately they are going to be getting him into some games here very shortly outside of the CHL. But this isn't a typical handling of a rookie by a team. Honestly, I think it's just because they want Kingston to trade him because kingston is bad.