Official Cut ✂️ Thread

Humble_Beast

6 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Thank you.... and yes Jacobs would still be getting a ton of carries... even play more as a receiver out the backfield.  I see it as a “pick your battles” type of situation.  You can ram Jacobs all day but there’s a breaking point, short term and long term.  So supplement him with Richard + Bowden in favorable situations and also a power RB in situations favorable to that.  Like you said were only taking about taking a few touches away each game.... going from 19 carries to 15 (these are semi-loose numbers) while adding 1-2 passing targets.

At his current pace.... it’s likely Jacobs will, like so many RBs before him, either not be worth giving a second contract or as soon as he gets the second contract his play slips. We want to avoid that and have him producing like a top 3-5 RB for 8 years or more.

I think its also very important as in college he played pretty sparingly and part if a strong rotation, it was a double edged sword really in that he didn't have a lot of wear and tear compared to some rookie RBs which people saw as a positive but also he never showed he could handle a full workload and of course not only is he increasing his work load he is increasing the size of hits, increasing his body mass probably and increasing the amount of games going from college to pros. It was really the only potential negative or worry I had on him in the draft.

21 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I think its also very important as in college he played pretty sparingly and part if a strong rotation.... (condensed for space).... It was really the only potential negative or worry I had on him in the draft.

It definitely was a big positive when drafting him that he didn’t have much wear and tear and I think it was actually ballsy by Mayock, as he was proven in skill set but not his ability to be a RB1 and carry a load for a team.

The lack of wear and tear in college will absolutely help him play longer in the NFL, no doubt about it.  My issue is we have a RB whose got little wear on him and has top 3 RB potential after his rookie year..... so we should have a plan to use him but also conserve him.  He’s the ideal RB to give a second contract too.  You don’t have to baby him just don’t ruin a good long term thing by abusing him.  If done right be could be the very rare workhorse back that’s worth extending and plays up to that contract.

And all it would take is just having a decent power back to take a few carries from him here and there.  And the of getting a RB like that is so small.... we’re talking drafting a RB in rounds 3-5 (whom you’d have on a rookie deal for 4 years) or signing a FA for anywhere from the vet minimum to 2.5-3M or trading a 6/7th for a RB on a rookie deal.  That’s a pretty low cost no matter what option you pick.

3 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

It definitely was a big positive when drafting him that he didn’t have much wear and tear and I think it was actually ballsy by Mayock, as he was proven in skill set but not his ability to be a RB1 and carry a load for a team.

The lack of wear and tear in college will absolutely help him play longer in the NFL, no doubt about it.  My issue is we have a RB whose got little wear on him and has top 3 RB potential after his rookie year..... so we should have a plan to use him but also conserve him.  He’s the ideal RB to give a second contract too.  You don’t have to baby him just don’t ruin a good long term thing by abusing him.  If done right be could be the very rare workhorse back that’s worth extending and plays up to that contract.

And all it would take is just having a decent power back to take a few carries from him here and there.  And the of getting a RB like that is so small.... we’re talking drafting a RB in rounds 3-5 (whom you’d have on a rookie deal for 4 years) or signing a FA for anywhere from the vet minimum to 2.5-3M or trading a 6/7th for a RB on a rookie deal.  That’s a pretty low cost no matter what option you pick.

My only real concern for Jacobs was that after having such comparatively low usage in college how he'd cope with the extra games and bigger hits injury wise, I was a little concerned he might wear down by seasons end and pick up nagging injuries so it's doubly important we look after him as that seemed to happen a bit last year. Like you say, its relatively cheap in either draft capital or cap space to get a good complimentary back in so would make total sense. You never know, hopefully Bowden surprises us but I'm sceptical so far.

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

My only real concern for Jacobs was that after having such comparatively low usage in college how he'd cope with the extra games and bigger hits injury wise, I was a little concerned he might wear down by seasons end and pick up nagging injuries so it's doubly important we look after him as that seemed to happen a bit last year. Like you say, its relatively cheap in either draft capital or cap space to get a good complimentary back in so would make total sense. You never know, hopefully Bowden surprises us but I'm sceptical so far.

Yes, Bowden could be a pleasant surprise.... and while he won’t be that power back we’ve all clamored for If we can run Richard and Bowden effectively enough to get the same workload distribution in the end it has the same effect on Jacobs durability.

8 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Last year, I can not remember who everyone was and you may have been one of them, there was a group of posters here that had these same concerns after Crowell went down last year.  I do not know why they did not make it a priority to sign a similar back this year unless they believed Jacobs only needed one year of help.

• 4 weeks later...