ACC sets conference-only schedule; Notre Dame competing

ttitansfan4life

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

In the times of the rona, if they are essentially joining the ACC, I have no problem with this.  I imagine the other independants will need to find conferences as well. 

So it’s ok to join a conference when it’s convenient for them just so they can get to a full schedule? Plus potentially play in the ACC Championship game?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

So it’s ok to join a conference when it’s convenient for them just so they can get to a full schedule? Plus potentially play in the ACC Championship game?

Make them formally join the ACC in a live press conference first.  

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, JammerHammer21 said:

smh the bailout

They require they are special this whole time....and then when it becomes a complete negative...they get a bailout they do not deserve.

ACC needs to hold their feet to the fire...if they want in, they should be forced to commit fully to that conference. 

the entitlement they continue to show.......no one should be willing to just bend over for them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

So if this was Army or UMass, would you have the same opinion, or is this because this is Notre Dame?  

We are in a pandemic, if putting Notre Dame into a conference helps get games played, and does it safely, I am all for it.  Personally, I would do away with conferences this year and have teams play regionally and expand the playoffs to cover more teams, but the conferences won't give up that kind of control.  

5 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Yes.  When you're the cash cow that Notre Dame is, this will always happen.

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

So if this was Army or UMass, would you have the same opinion, or is this because this is Notre Dame?  

Of course not.  Notre Dame is going to draw in considerably more money than UMass or Army would ever dream of.  Plus, the ACC has been foaming at the mouth of the idea of adding Notre Dame to the ACC.

The ACC largely being weak last year was a huge reason why I was not happy about

1. Clemson beating OSU in the playoff last year

and

2. Notre Dame being passed over for the ACC's Orange Bowl bid last year in favor of Virginia (who ND beat) even though ND had a better record and higher ranking but was technically not part of ACC football

I'd be fine with ND being a football member of the ACC for just one year given the circumstances

but in future years when things are normal again, ND should have a chance to take the ACC bid to the Orange Bowl (when it is not a semifinal) if it doesn't qualify through the spot that usually goes to the Big Ten or SEC

While ND's football membership in the ACC is temporary, its ability to qualify for the ACC spot in the Orange Bowl (if it doesn't qualify for the B1G/SEC/ND spot) should be permanent, after the debacle of last year, in which Clemson was the only truly good ACC football team, yet ND didn't qualify for the Orange Bowl despite beating, having a better record, and higher ranking than Virginia because they weren't technically in ACC football. Clemson's weak schedule last year is also why OSU losing to them in the playoff was a huge sore point with me. If it weren't for the South Carolina law that specifically states Clemson and South Carolina have to play each year (a consequence of the Southern Conference sanctioning Clemson and Maryland for violating that league's postseason ban in the early 1950s, a ban which led those two, South Carolina, and the Tobacco Road 4 to withdraw from the SoCon and form the ACC in 1953, ultimately resulting in the dissatisfaction of the two remaining big state schools, Virginia Tech and West Virginia - both of whom left the SoCon in the 1960s - at the lack of competition in the SoCon, which is now an FCS conference), I would say Clemson have a rematch with LSU as their lone non-conference game.