Official Notre Dame Thread

roysmyboy31

I agree that the Camping World Bowl is not a great bowl. I would have preferred ND sit out bowl season entirely to protest the fact that they can't represent the ACC in the Orange Bowl unlike other ACC bowls. We actually beat the Orange Bowl's ACC rep Virginia this year. ND would have only been the second team to miss bowl season a year after making the playoff (2016 Michigan State who beat a down ND team that year)

Also consider that Virginia barely beat four of their ACC opponents. ND cruised against all of theirs except VT..

Edited by pf9

48 minutes ago, pf9 said:

I agree that the Camping World Bowl is not a great bowl. I would have preferred ND sit out bowl season entirely to protest the fact that they can't represent the ACC in the Orange Bowl unlike other ACC bowls. We actually beat the Orange Bowl's ACC rep Virginia this year. ND would have only been the second team to miss bowl season a year after making the playoff (2016 Michigan State who beat a down ND team that year)

Also consider that Virginia barely beat four of their ACC opponents. ND cruised against all of theirs except VT..

If Notre Dame actually joined the ACC, they'd be the representative. Since they aren't actually in the ACC and just have an agreement to pad their schedule with ACC teams, they don't get to represent the ACC. Pretty simple.

1 hour ago, pf9 said:

ND is not in the ACC they don't deserve anything therefore.

Yep, I feel absolutely no sympathy for ND here.  I was a Navy fan and experienced the same independant stuff they did, and originally was not a fan of the move to the AAC.  But its been a benefit in the end, and Notre Dame agreed to what they agreed to in order to keep themselves as an independent.  It's on their leadership who made that decision, not the ACC and not the CFP committee.  

What we as ND fans need to do is pray that somehow someway Clemson has to vacate its entire 2018 and 2019 seasons including the national title for the former. That would probably keep Clemson out of bowls for 5 years.

Edited by pf9

If ND is counted as its own conference, it has the longest collective national title drought among all the Power conferences at 31 years.

The next-longest drought, the Pac-12, is only 15 years.

If ND is to pass the title on to the Pac-12, they need to recognize that they will never win a title let alone a major bowl under Brian Kelly and fire him.

Then they need to hire Urban Meyer, a coach who has experience both winning major bowls and national titles. He won the former at three different schools and the latter at two of the same schools.

Took care of Iowa State pretty easily in the Camping World Bowl.  Motivation can sometimes be an issue in non-NY6 bowl games, but I had no doubt that we would win if we decided to show up.  Defense set the tone with two early forced fumbles that allowed us to get a jump on them early.  Claypool had a great game and should be a good receiver in the NFL starting next year.  Running game was on point as well.

Second straight 11+ win season and we had already had our 3rd straight 10+ win season heading into today (and 4th in the last 5 years).  Have a nice recruiting class coming in.  Pretty good time to be a ND fan.

• 1 month later...

Let's put this in perspective. Before Rudy was released (and even through 1996), Notre Dame had only appeared in 3 non-major bowls.

Since Rudy came out, we've appeared in 11 in 23 seasons alone and have not yet won a major bowl in this span.

As much as I love this team Rudy should have never been made. Without that movie in existence we might have won like 5 more national titles in the last 25 years. And the 1994 Cotton Bowl wouldn't be our last major bowl win, even when discounting NCG appearances.

• 7 months later...

Alright as you may be aware, ND football is in the ACC for 2020 due to the pandemic.

This means that ND can qualify for the ACC spot in the Orange Bowl, but I'd much rather see them in the Playoff.

Once the pandemic is over, ND will be independent again in football, but I feel that ND being able to represent the ACC should be permanent, in the wake of last year's fiasco where ND was better and higher ranked than Virginia (who we also beat last year) yet they got the Orange Bowl slot due to a technicality.

I feel if ND can't represent the ACC in the Orange Bowl, then they shouldn't be willing to represent the ACC in any other bowl. It should be all of them, or none of them.

Many other bad things have come as a result of compromises. For instance, it is because of a compromise that the Cleveland Browns have not been to the NFL playoffs since 2002, while the Baltimore Ravens have made multiple playoff appearances in their history, including two Super Bowl wins, and don't show any signs of slowing down (ironically ND was able to beat a Louisville team led by current Ravens QB Lamar Jackson).

Edited by pf9

• 3 months later...

OK, the Rudy curse lives on for another season.

But I still feel we are getting closer and closer to breaking it. We just need to replace Brian Kelly with Urban Meyer. Here's hoping Kelly defects to the NFL. He could really rejuvenate the Lions, the team in the NFL with the longest drought without a home playoff game (last such game was in 1993, and the game wasn't even sold out, banning its broadcast on WXYZ in Detroit, WJRT in Flint, now-NBC affiliate WNWO in Toledo, and WLAJ in Lansing - every other ABC station in the country carried this Packers win over the Lions). The one time Ford Field did host an NFL playoff game, it was a black eye to the NFL (and it ruined the end of regular NFL telecasts on, ironically enough, ABC), ironically the game allowed ND alum Jerome Bettis to retire a champion.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Game ended up being too close for comfort in the end.  Had an eighteen point lead and needed to sweat it out in the end.  Glad to get the win, but it should not have come to that.  After we got up 38-20, our offense went into a shell.  Lesson for future games:  Don't let up.  Defense needs a lot of work too.

Jack Coan looked nice though.  Plenty of skill players around him too.

On 9/5/2021 at 10:41 PM, roysmyboy31 said:

Game ended up being too close for comfort in the end.  Had an eighteen point lead and needed to sweat it out in the end.  Glad to get the win, but it should not have come to that.  After we got up 38-20, our offense went into a shell.  Lesson for future games:  Don't let up.  Defense needs a lot of work too.

Jack Coan looked nice though.  Plenty of skill players around him too.

Coan looked much better in the second half. First half was pretty average but some nice throws in the second. It was nice to see Kevin Austin finally get his chance. Mayer is stud but just had a couple lapses in concentration which led to drops. Defense was great in the first half minus about three plays. The second half I am not sure if they got figured out or got tired but it was ugly. Tackling was poor and contain on the edge was poor. Even if they are able to just grab the ball carrier a little there were many plays in the backfield to be made but they end up going for 2, 3, or 4 yard gain instead of a loss. If half those tackles are made the game doesn't go into OT. In the end run a win is a win. And in my mind its the best kind of win since it isn't one that will breed complacency. Build on it and get better. I assume the defense will improve as the get comfortable with Freeman's scheme.