FFMD Season 2021: What would you like to see?

EaglesPeteC

The only think I think a pitch should have that might realistically change an outcome is the role that team envisions for him.

If two teams are offering similar money and one is offering him a chance to start and the other as a true backup, that makes a difference. Other than that, I don’t see what a pitch would truly add but work 

2 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

The only think I think a pitch should have that might realistically change an outcome is the role that team envisions for him.

If two teams are offering similar money and one is offering him a chance to start and the other as a true backup, that makes a difference. Other than that, I don’t see what a pitch would truly add but work 

Agreed.  Which could be resolved by including a check box in the offer (Starter/Depth) but even then it would require one of us to verify that he remains a starter on the depth chart and to verify that a starter role isn't applied again.

6 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

So maybe have pitches only be available in certain circumstances? Like #1 WR slot open - pitch available. Starting QB slot open - pitch available. Defensive captain needed, etc etc. 

All of the previous arguments in the past ffmd was due to teams not being awarded the player even when the money being offered was higher than everyone else.  I do think that there should be some formula applied to if the team is offering him a starter role, even if the money is a little bit less that it should play a role.  Whether it's a checkbox or some type of pitch.  I think either way would work, but Pete's right the only real meat of the pitch is where the player lands on the roster.

2 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Pete's right the only real meat of the pitch is where the player lands on the roster.

The only other thing I can think of is market and contender. However, if we including things like that I would make it very small in terms of factor. Like 2% contender for veterans in the league 8+ years for 1 FA per round. 

7 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

The only other thing I can think of is market and contender. However, if we including things like that I would make it very small in terms of factor. Like 2% contender for veterans in the league 8+ years for 1 FA per round. 

2% would be a better number.  Especially if being applied to the higher price tag players.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scar988 said:

We could also just put a character limit on a pitch. Say, 500 characters. We could use Google docs to regulate this. 

What's the pitch worth?  How is the pitch graded?  Does a well written pitch carry more weight than a not so well written pitch?  All I'm trying to say here is that once we start putting weight on how well or poorly a pitch is written if the team offering more money isn't awarded the player it's going to piss some people off.

And if the pitch isn't valued at how good or bad it is written then I could copy and paste an article on how long a grub worm lives and still be awarded the added points.  It's a cool concept but I'm not sold on offers being undervalued because someone didn't have the time to write up a pitch yet managed to offer more value via the contract.

1 hour ago, EaglesPeteC said:

I think Webby and etc really would not encourage that. The point is to bring more traffic and conversation to the forum not to that it to a different location. In the Eagles forum we just talked openly. The point is to bring in debate and conversation not to be secretive per se.

If the choice is no outside chat options that has a limited overall discussion for FFMD 

VS

allowing outside chat options that enhances the overall discussion in the FFMD threads

Comes down to a net some of increased posting overall.   As it stands right now, FFMD has been gone from the site for the last few years.  So dismissing an idea that would allow it to come back in some capacity seems like a potential sacrifice of principles for the greater good overall.

9 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

What's the pitch worth?  How is the pitch graded?  Does a well written pitch carry more weight than a not so well written pitch?  All I'm trying to say here is that once we start putting weight on how well or poorly a pitch is written if the team offering more money isn't awarded the player it's going to piss some people off.

And if the pitch isn't valued at how good or bad it is written then I could copy and paste an article on how long a grub worm lives and still be awarded the added points.  It's a cool concept but I'm not sold on offers being undervalued because someone didn't have the time to write up a pitch yet managed to offer more value via the contract.

The pitch is just 10-20% of the overall offer. The contract/Structure/Guaranteed is the biggest part. But if I have two identical offers, and one pitch promises playing in a 4-3 defense for my 6'5" 265 lb 4-3 defensive end and the other is promising a rotational role as an OLB in a 3-4, I'm going with the primary offer because the pitch was better.

1 minute ago, scar988 said:

The pitch is just 10-20% of the overall offer. The contract/Structure/Guaranteed is the biggest part. But if I have two identical offers, and one pitch promises playing in a 4-3 defense for my 6'5" 265 lb 4-3 defensive end and the other is promising a rotational role as an OLB in a 3-4, I'm going with the primary offer because the pitch was better.

I think that all makes great sense in a real world process.  How is any team or GM going to be held accountable for making a pitch to a player that they will be a starter and then they go a draft another player in the 1st round for the same position, or sign another player in FA to the same position?  

Just now, squire12 said:

I think that all makes great sense in a real world process.  How is any team or GM going to be held accountable for making a pitch to a player that they will be a starter and then they go a draft another player in the 1st round for the same position, or sign another player in FA to the same position?  

Bingo. Unless it's a situation where say, the player is J.J. Watt. The team comes in and says, starting role at DE with nickel role at DT. He signs. They draft a guy to compete for a nickel role at DE in the first round and long-term is the replacement for a guy like Watt. The player would then understand, "hey, I'm a mentor, and a guy who's eventually moving to 3-tech long-term. But i'll still be starting, just not on the end."

23 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Bingo. Unless it's a situation where say, the player is J.J. Watt. The team comes in and says, starting role at DE with nickel role at DT. He signs. They draft a guy to compete for a nickel role at DE in the first round and long-term is the replacement for a guy like Watt. The player would then understand, "hey, I'm a mentor, and a guy who's eventually moving to 3-tech long-term. But i'll still be starting, just not on the end."

So every GM says we are signing you to be a starter.  Who is fact checking that ?

It is just words that carry no realistic meaning or weight.

28 minutes ago, scar988 said:

All of this pitch talk is just turning into forcing an agent into determining where a player lands.  Becomes too opinionated for my taste.  10-20% of the overall offer is huge considering these contract offers are going to be coming in at around the 15-20 million range or more.  You're also talking about which players you feel would be best suited for the scheme.  I personally think this path is just going to kill it, reverting back to methods that have failed in the past.  I know you haven't ever participated in tcmd but the system we use works pretty damn well without all the confusion of the pitch or an agent dictating the outcome of a bid.  

4 minutes ago, squire12 said:

So every GM says we are signing you to be a starter.  Who is fact checking that ?

It is just words that carry no realistic meaning or weight.

I love the pitch, but I also like writing.  But I was burned by agents in the past playing favorites so I'm not a fan of using the pitch.  As fun as it may sound it's really never worked out in a mock, where they offer a solid contract but lose out because their pitch wasn't convincing enough to sway the agent in charge of where a player lands.

Not opposed to applying some smaller percentage changes for contenders and starter roles but not in the form of a pitch.  The pitch requires an agent and we've all seen the complaining that it creates.