Jaguars trading S Ronnie Harrison to Cleveland

.Buzz

2 minutes ago, pwny said:

Trading a mediocre player who may have been a backup week 1 anyway, who is on the last year of his deal, for a 5th might be the first truly good decision they’ve made while acquiring picks so far. 

Nah, just another stone to toss on the "tank" pile...

Man people just see a player traded/cut and think they're purging of talent regardless of the players play. 

4 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Nah, just another stone to toss on the "tank" pile...

Man people just see a player traded/cut and think they're purging of talent regardless of the players play. 

I mean I get why if you just look at the players lost with no context. A superstar CB, two super star DEs, a huge name CB, a huge name RB, and a starting Safety.

All of that looks bad and looks like the team is trying to tank until you realize that all those players (sans Harrison) were disgruntled and/or the team was disgruntled with them, and Harrison was looking more like a backup in camp than the presumed starter. And then if you actually look and see how long Dave Caldwell has been around, he really doesn’t have the wiggle room to lead a tank and not get fired, and neither does Marrone.

They’re probably going to be bad, and #1 pick bad is certainly in the cards. But it’s not because they’re trying to be bad, it’s just simply that this is the culmination of bad roster and player personality management for 7 years all coming to a head. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

You'd say the Jags haven't been purging talent?

Sure. But moving a mediocre player isn’t a part of that, nor has all the purging been a part of some plan to line themselves up for a tank.

10 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

You'd say the Jags haven't been purging talent?

They have.

But Fournette and Harrison aren't those guys. From reports it sounds like Harrison got beat out in camp by Josh Jones. I've already said plenty about what I've seen/the advanced metrics say about Fournette. 

The older expensive guys were out regardless. We weren't paying Campbell/Bouye those cap hits given their play last year. 

The only one that clearly was an indictment on the organization/a BS ordeal was Yan. He is and should have been a building block for this team for the next several years.

16 minutes ago, pwny said:

Trading a mediocre player who may have been a backup week 1 anyway, who is on the last year of his deal, for a 5th might be the first truly good decision they’ve made while acquiring picks so far. 

Doesn't Harrison have two years remaining?

5 minutes ago, pwny said:

I mean I get why if you just look at the players lost with no context. A superstar CB, two super star DEs, a huge name CB, a huge name RB, and a starting Safety.

All of that looks bad and looks like the team is trying to tank until you realize that all those players (sans Harrison) were disgruntled and/or the team was disgruntled with them, and Harrison was looking more like a backup in camp than the presumed starter. And then if you actually look and see how long Dave Caldwell has been around, he really doesn’t have the wiggle room to lead a tank and not get fired, and neither does Marrone.

They’re probably going to be bad, and #1 pick bad is certainly in the cards. But it’s not because they’re trying to be bad, it’s just simply that this is the culmination of bad roster and player personality management for 7 years all coming to a head. 

This is probably the best rundown of the situation as a whole.

8 minutes ago, pwny said:

Yeah, you're right that the coach and GM can't survive it. I guess the bigger issue is that the staff blew up all those relationships. I just don't get the Jags. They had the talent. But they couldn't get out of their own damn way.

9 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Yeah, you're right that the coach and GM can't survive it. I guess the bigger issue is that the staff blew up all those relationships. I just don't get the Jags. They had the talent. But they couldn't get out of their own damn way.

Seems like what happened is they went into drafts and took players based on tape but didn't look into their personalities/how they would fit in their locker room. That's the conclusion I've come to.

But the main thing is the QB play. 2017 we were loud and full of "alphas" and it was fine because we we're winning. 2018 went poorly and divided the locker room and we didn't have leadership in place to keep it from getting out of hand. On top of that, you saw us go and spend on guys like Julius Thomas, Jared Odrick, etc. who didn't live up to contracts but took our sweet time paying guys in house. That pisses players off. But when you don't win and there's issues like that in the building, it's just a nuke waiting to happen.

Had Bortles worked out/we drafted a guy and kept winning/being a solid team it's obvious the locker room doesn't get to where it did and we're probably not in this situation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

If it wasn't the Jaguars, and instead some other team, I would expect a book written about this.

Between the front office:

• Drafting players because they loved their fiery big personalities and then Coughlin trying to silence those same players
  • Giving Foles an extra $3M a year so the team would *respect him as a viable starter*, only to see it backfire and destroy relationships with the team's two biggest drafted stars when you tell them there isn't money available to give them the extensions they deserve
  • Keeping a coordinator around that has poor relationships with several players
  • Intentionally seeding lies to the media in order to sway fan opinion, only to see it cause distrust among those in the locker room

And just a billion other things, it's been a master class on how to mismanage a team.

But that's not to solely place the blame on the front office; Fournette was reportedly not doing anything you'd expect of a player in his position, and there were some other large player vs player issues (but admittedly those maybe don't get out of hand if management was behaving correctly).

• Like 1