Chargers Extend Keenan Allen

HTTRDynasty

On 9/5/2020 at 12:40 PM, Deadpulse said:

I believe he could have become more than he is today if injuries hadn't derailed him early in his career. He was on course to be top 5 IMO

One can make an argument he is a top 5 WR. It's just that he lacks the explosiveness of some of the bigger receivers. His play style is precision route running. Daniel Popper, the beat writer for the Chargers, summed it up perfectly.

https://theathletic.com/1963369/2020/07/30/why-the-chargers-keenan-allen-is-one-of-the-most-underrated-players-in-the-nfl/

My main takeaway here: Thomas, Hopkins and Jones are the clear-cut best three receivers in the league — and I don’t think that’s arguable — but after them, it really is very debatable. Allen should unquestionably be in the conversation for that spot. He’s not as explosive as Hill, Diggs, Cooper, Evans, Godwin, Beckham or Adams, but he does certain things, such as converting difficult third downs, at a much higher level. Allen is not a fast receiver by NFL standards. His production comes from the best route-running in football, otherworldly anticipation and a unique feel for the leverages of opposing defenders. And his availability, as he hasn’t missed a game in that last three seasons. He has made himself into one of the game’s best receivers through his work ethic and his devotion to technique, without upper-echelon athletic ability.

Edited by Xenos

On 9/5/2020 at 8:07 PM, Deadpulse said:

If his injury history didnt exist, he might be worth this

He's well worth it to us. 

I have zero issues with this deal, and the only thing that could make me reavaluate this in 3 or 4 years, is if we fail to find him a QB. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kramxel said:

And BTW my overal feeling with Keenan is we've underused him a ton, especially in key moments/games. 

I don’t know if we underused him so much as he was the only viable and consistent weapon we had, which meant the defense was going to try to take him away.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Xenos said:

I don’t know if we underused him so much as he was the only viable and consistent weapon we had, which meant the defense was going to try to take him away.

That's a very fair point. I love KA13 and feel he is a top 5 WR in the league. He hasn't had a whole lot of supporting talent on offense in recent years, especially after injuries. I'm really interested to see how this contract plays out. He is once again the Chargers only legitimate weapon but they will be looking to be more run heavy. Will that open things up for Keenan a WR with a quick release, impeccable route running and a threat with the ball after the catch? If play action actually gives defenders pause, KA13 is built to take advantage of it. Thats all predicated of course on the Chargers being able to run the ball and a QB being able to hit KA13.

• Like 1