NFL General Discussion

candyman93

On 11/8/2022 at 4:00 PM, big poppa pump said:

Is it worth it to put in a waiver claim for this guy?  Is he worse than Delpit?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/11/08/raiders-to-release-johnathan-abram/

He is horrific in coverage , besides the packers claimed him

Edited by Dawgpoun8017

17 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

This is why you compete to the last whistle

They couldn't do it due to time and football math to put it within 2 and a FG loss for those reasons, but the above is why teams take safeties on their own 1. If it's 29+ there, take the safety.

It pisses me off seeing how the Titans compete extremely hard despite their lack of talent when compared to the Browns. Just a complete 180 in culture among their players and ours.

We need to fire Woods and hire a ball buster on defense. Being friendly with these guys clearly doesn’t work.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, candyman93 said:

It pisses me off seeing how the Titans compete extremely hard despite their lack of talent when compared to the Browns. Just a complete 180 in culture among their players and ours.

We need to fire Woods and hire a ball buster on defense. Being friendly with these guys clearly doesn’t work.

A ball buster who understands the value of DTs and LBers.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Mike Vrabel is a perfect fit for that team. They have very marginal talent, but they're a stout Front 7. They have a comparable offensive philosophy to us, but defensively they actually value stopping the run and investing in the Front 7, which this FO doesn't value at all. They have built a defense to be one ala the 2000s Colts where you expect to be ahead by 2+ possessions early, so rushing the passer and being stout in the secondary is a premium, whereas your LB and DT suck and even your EDGE guys can be run on to a degree.

When you put a high emphasis on DT, LB, and S play (Byard is a stud) to go with a ground and pound running game, you win a lot more games then the talking heads want to admit in the "preseason power rankings/projections" shows.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Mike Vrabel is a perfect fit for that team. They have very marginal talent, but they're a stout Front 7. They have a comparable offensive philosophy to us, but defensively they actually value stopping the run and investing in the Front 7, which this FO doesn't value at all. They have built a defense to be one ala the 2000s Colts where you expect to be ahead by 2+ possessions early, so rushing the passer and being stout in the secondary is a premium, whereas your LB and DT suck and even your EDGE guys can be run on to a degree.

When you put a high emphasis on DT, LB, and S play (Byard is a stud) to go with a ground and pound running game, you win a lot more games then the talking heads want to admit in the "preseason power rankings/projections" shows.

I agree we’ve built the defense for track meets, which is fine, but you still need to be capable of defending the run.  At least be ok at it.  We’re historically bad.

And while more significant investments in DT and LB would help, this defense isn’t remotely close to being this bad talent wise.  This is primarily a scheme issue imo.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I agree we’ve built the defense for track meets, which is fine, but you still need to be capable of defending the run.  At least be ok at it.  We’re historically bad.

And while more significant investments in DT and LB would help, this defense isn’t remotely close to being this bad talent wise.  This is primarily a scheme issue imo.

I totally blame Woods as well, but I'm just saying that there's a disconnect between the FO and coaching staff.

If we were in the teens or twenties against the run, I'd say "Yeah guys this is a personnel issue".

I think it's both, 90% being on Woods.

11 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I totally blame Woods as well, but I'm just saying that there's a disconnect between the FO and coaching staff.

If we were in the teens or twenties against the run, I'd say "Yeah guys this is a personnel issue".

I think it's both, 90% being on Woods.

Is there a disconnect?  Or is the FO providing him exactly what he wants?  

Maybe the FO should be stepping in and insisting on different players, but ideally they’re finding guys that meet exact specs of coaches.  

Woods has talked at length about wanting to run some version of a 4-2-5, lots of speed, etc. and that’s exactly what he’s been given.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Is there a disconnect?  Or is the FO providing him exactly what he wants?  

Who exactly? Woods? Stefanski?

Maybe the FO should be stepping in and insisting on different players, but ideally they’re finding guys that meet exact specs of coaches.

I'd love to see job descriptions and who answers to whom here. Why hasn't Woods been fired? Is it a Stef thing or a Barry thing? Or a DePo thing?

Woods has talked at length about wanting to run some version of a 4-2-5, lots of speed, etc. and that’s exactly what he’s been given.

Like I said, I'm not going to be a Woods apologist. I've been outspoken as to why I'm so critical of him. That said, you can't give him zero DT or LB help in the middle and expect him to do much...albeit obviously it can't be this bad.

28 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Who exactly? Woods? Stefanski?

I meant between Woods and the FO

I'd love to see job descriptions and who answers to whom here. Why hasn't Woods been fired? Is it a Stef thing or a Barry thing? Or a DePo thing?

I’d imagine it’s an everyone thing now.  I’m guessing they want to see how things look with the rapist, if they can jump out to more leads/force team to throw more and if the defense can work as designed.  There also isn’t a clear cut replacement on staff.

Like I said, I'm not going to be a Woods apologist. I've been outspoken as to why I'm so critical of him. That said, you can't give him zero DT or LB help in the middle and expect him to do much...albeit obviously it can't be this bad.

I know we’ve discussed this before, but I don’t agree that he’s been given nothing.

we have a 3rd round DT in his 3rd year, two 4th rounders and a former 1st who while being a “bust” is still a guy who’s played 4 years in the league.

Walker is a guy they clearly like.  Jones is a former pro bowler (albeit a long time ago).  JOK was a 2, Phillips and Takitaki were 3rds, Fields was 5th.  All with at least a year in the system save Jones.

We’ve fielded teams with less invested at those positions plenty of times and never been this bad against the run.

That list isn’t an embarrassment of riches by any means, but unless Berry has somehow managed to whiff on literally every pick (which no GM does), Woods isn’t putting them in a position to succeed.

Look at successful franchises, they consistently start mid round picks and get effective play from them. We can’t expect a first rounder at every position.