College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

13 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Or you load up the roster for the next guy who takes over since you likely won't have any draft capital whatsoever when you either trade for a franchise QB or trade for an elite prospect.

If you have all of the pieces on offense in place except for the QB, you have setup that next guy for success and can turn into an instant contender.

yeah it has nothing to do with Baker, it’s about fixing a roster deficiency.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

the kid from PSU and Alabama as well as R2 prospects. If we get Dean so be it, but I want a WR with some elite athleticism after R1.

I like those guys too, but I think Dean would be the heart of this defense for 10+ years. He’s got HOF talent to me.

I’ve even come off of wanting Demarvin Leal. That’s how bad our offense is to me.

It’s Dean or WR in round 1.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, candyman93 said:

I like those guys too, but I think Dean would be the heart of this defense for 10+ years.

I’ve even come off of wanting Demarvin Leal. That’s how bad our offense is to me.

It’s Dean or WR in round 1.

I still think you can’t put all of our hopes in fixing the offense on one pick. Get the best player at a position of need.  The biggest difference maker.

I won’t be mad at a WR, DT, DE or LB personally. Hell even an OT if Conklin is done, Hudson and Hance ain’t it.

Bottom line is we can draft a number of different positions if the player is good. Reaching for a need and whiffing is not a winning philosophy.

Let’s just hope Wilson is there and we can marry need and talent lol.

What Ja’Marr Chase has added to Cincinnati, would love to see that added to Cleveland. I don’t care who it is. Wilson, Burks, Jameson all look solid. I’m not of the mindset that because it’s a deep class at WR you wait to take the position. Take the gamebreaker if he’s there.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

What Ja’Marr Chase has added to Cincinnati, would love to see that added to Cleveland. I don’t care who it is. Wilson, Burks, Jameson all look solid. I’m not of the mindset that because it’s a deep class at WR you wait to take the position. Take the gamebreaker if he’s there.

Agreed. And maybe I'll feel differently as I get to know the class more, but with what I've seen so far, I don't think I'd call this a DEEP WR class. It has a fantastic first tier (Wilson, Burk, Jameson, London). But after that? Olave is a great route runner and solid deep threat but he gets murdered by press coverage and doesn't break tackles. Dotson is very good but also very small. Bell looks like a solid #2 but doesn't look like he has #1 upside athletically. Pickens is a huge gamble, tons of upside, but little proof due to injury.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, FGK said:

Agreed. And maybe I'll feel differently as I get to know the class more, but with what I've seen so far, I don't think I'd call this a DEEP WR class. It has a fantastic first tier (Wilson, Burk, Jameson, London). But after that? Olave is a great route runner and solid deep threat but he gets murdered by press coverage and doesn't break tackles. Dotson is very good but also very small. Bell looks like a solid #2 but doesn't look like he has #1 upside athletically. Pickens is a huge gamble, tons of upside, but little proof due to injury.

I agree with you 100%.

Fantastic top tier all 4 of those guys are worth a mid first at least. If we can trade down and pick up a 2023 first rounder I'd take that and go for Olave or Dotson. 

After that I agree with your takes on Bell and Pickens as well.

This year I would advise fans don't fall in love with players at different positions. We have to go receiver first round this year.

Too much  of a drop off we cant risk it. We actually need to combine our first rounder with at least one more mid round pick. Maybe 2! I would not be surprised to come out of this draft with 3 receivers one being a first rounder.  

Edited by brownie man

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Eh, they have a number of guys with rings and a much more established culture too.

And let’s be honest, I don’t think we need to worry about throwing this game lol.  We’ll lose it honestly.

I very much agree, but Cinci is going through their own COVID issues, so let's hope this doesn't happen.

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I very much agree, but Cinci is going through their own COVID issues, so let's hope this doesn't happen.

I think we can do our part by sitting guys like Myles, Clowney, Chubb, Ward, etc.

I don’t even consider that tanking the game so much as protecting assets who are core pieces for next year.  No point in risking a huge injury in an absolutely meaningless game.

If doing so assures a better pick, all the better.  It also lets some younger/depth guys get a little experience and gives them a chance to show the coaches something.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Eh, they have a number of guys with rings and a much more established culture too.

And let’s be honest, I don’t think we need to worry about throwing this game lol.  We’ll lose it honestly.

The Eagles “culture” is having an elite offensive line and defensive line. They’re who we should be copying (we might be).

18 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think we can do our part by sitting guys like Myles, Clowney, Chubb, Ward, etc.

I don’t even consider that tanking the game so much as protecting assets who are core pieces for next year.  No point in risking a huge injury in an absolutely meaningless game.

If doing so assures a better pick, all the better.  It also lets some younger/depth guys get a little experience and gives them a chance to show the coaches something.

If Myles is still working through that groin issue, sit him.

If Chubb is battling those rib issues, play D'Ernest or whoever else you want.

Play Keenum and/or Mullins.

Anyone else on the "dinged up" list gets sat (JJ3, Greedy, Hill, whoever else that I don't know right now).

Anyone else you need to see more of going into the 2022 plans, play them (Schwartz, Phillips, Hudson, Felton, Togiai, whoever else that other DT from Missouri is who I don't think is very good and forget his name, Harrison Bryant, Njoku)

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

The Eagles “culture” is having an elite offensive line and defensive line. They’re who we should be copying (we might be).

That’s not culture, that’s their philosophy for structuring a team/roster

Culture is going to be things like attitudes, practice habits, expectations for success and preparation, etc.

A veteran team with lots of playoff experience who knows what it takes to win in the NFL is likely going to be able to deal with more adversity that a young team still trying to figure things out.

When people talk of a team having a good culture, they mean they are professionals who are prepared mentally, practice with purpose, always compete and play with consistent effort, play reasonably disciplined football, keep issues in house, have a top down vision and plan that is executed and hold one another accountable.

We’ve improved on a lot of that from a few years ago, but we still struggle with a lot of it.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

That’s not culture, that’s their philosophy for structuring a team/roster

Culture is going to be things like attitudes, practice habits, expectations for success and preparation, etc.

A veteran team with lots of playoff experience who knows what it takes to win in the NFL is likely going to be able to deal with more adversity that a young team still trying to figure things out.

When people talk of a team having a good culture, they mean they are professionals who are prepared mentally, practice with purpose, always compete and play with consistent effort, play reasonably disciplined football, keep issues in house, have a top down vision and plan that is executed and hold one another accountable.

We’ve improved on a lot of that from a few years ago, but we still struggle with a lot of it.

To add to this, I think we HAVE built a culture.

This team plays HARD for Stefanski and they show resiliency (see: all the Covid and injury issues and us being within 1 possession in those games)...which is why Monday night on offense was so disappointing.

This team is PHYSICAL on both sides of the ball (mauling run game, heavy TE usage, and we TACKLE WELL everywhere).

That's a first since Bill Belichick that either of those have been true, let alone both.

I think accountability could improve (the penalties are BAD).

The game planning could be better (Hats off to Joe Woods down the stretch, the dude balled out and seemed to have figured it out, I couldn't have been more wrong on him)

• Like 1