College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

4 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Schwartz will make the roster. GMs don’t get rid of their guys and I guarantee their thought process is “Eh, he’s worth keeping as the 5th WR.” You may disagree, but it’s what’s going to happen.

His speed alone warrants a roster spot IMO. People can disagree with me there, and I personally thought at the time he was overdrafted, but you can’t coach speed. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

His speed alone warrants a roster spot IMO. People can disagree with me there, and I personally thought at the time he was overdrafted, but you can’t coach speed. 

The guy just needs time, what if he develops into a Will Fuller (who had a similar skillset). We forget that WR is one of the hardest to transition to the NFL for, plus its not like they had some elaborate passing game at AU, they just told him to go deep and thats it

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

The guy just needs time, what if he develops into a Will Fuller (who had a similar skillset)

No doubt. He can flame out or he could be the next Tyreke Hill, while likely landing in the “He is a fourth receiver who just runs 9 routes” like Devin Hester tier.

• Like 3

Just now, MWil23 said:

No doubt. He can flame out or he could be the next Tyreke Hill, while likely landing in the “He is a fourth receiver who just runs 9 routes” like Devin Hester tier.

Facts, honestly we dont really see but he really could have grown a lot as far as learning his route tree, blocking and the finer points of actually catching the ball. This year he could either grow tremendously or we will know he isnt anything more than what he is.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

The guy just needs time, what if he develops into a Will Fuller (who had a similar skillset). We forget that WR is one of the hardest to transition to the NFL for, plus its not like they had some elaborate passing game at AU, they just told him to go deep and thats it

I don’t disagree he needs time and the AU passing game is comical, but he looked really bad this past season.

If he improves and can show consistent ability to win over the top he’s absolutely gonna be fine, but he’s not there yet.

Overdrafted is looking like a best case scenario if he doesn’t come back exponentially better than last season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t disagree he needs time and the AU passing game is comical, but he looked really bad this past season.

If he improves and can show consistent ability to win over the top he’s absolutely gonna be fine, but he’s not there yet.

Overdrafted is looking like a best case scenario if he doesn’t come back exponentially better than last season.

My biggest problem was that Au used more of the route tree with Schwartz then we did.

That is the reason I wanted to get rid of are wr coach.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mtmmike said:

My biggest problem was that Au used more of the route tree with Schwartz then we did.

I agree. I watched Schwartz in college and he didn't seem as raw a folks are making him out to be.

1 hour ago, mtmmike said:

30 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

I agree. I watched Schwartz in college and he didn't seem as raw a folks are making him out to be.

Fair enough, but which routes did he look good on exactly?

All he needs to do is run past people to be useful and I didn’t see much of that.

You can’t literally just run past pro corners. You need to get them to bite or respect your ability to snap a route off and make a play to get them to bite so you can take the top off.  If you’re a simple one trick pony, you’re gonna have a bad time.

I just didn’t see it at all and his hands are questionable af imo.

I want the guy to succeed and realize he’s still a kid, but it’s hard to not be discouraged by this past season.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Fair enough, but which routes did he look good on exactly?

All he needs to do is run past people to be useful and I didn’t see much of that.

You can’t literally just run past pro corners. You need to get them to bite or respect your ability to snap a route off and make a play to get them to bite so you can take the top off.  If you’re a simple one trick pony, you’re gonna have a bad time.

I just didn’t see it at all and his hands are questionable af imo.

I want the guy to succeed and realize he’s still a kid, but it’s hard to not be discouraged by this past season.

He'll be 22 this season. I'm still not worried about him. If he doesn't look better by the end of this coming season then perhaps I'm concerned. As far as his routes, he looked like a Safeway Select Chris Olave at times in college, more fluid than sudden (like, say, a Garrett Wilson). I still have hopes that he carves out a spot. I think his hands looked better in college so will consider that rookie year stuff and hope he looks better this year.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 1:00 PM, MSURacerDT55 said:

I'm sorry but the word "evaluation" rubs me the wrong way. We should know what we have in a guy after 4 years, especially with the roster we have. 

Why is that cause he played for 3 different coaching staffs with the first two being absolute jokes. With the 2nd staff making baker regress with the horrible blocking and god awful offensive schemes. Stefanski comes in and after 6weeks he takes off and starts to play like a franchise.

last year was a wasted year.  Bakers Injury held him back and if he did anything positive the receivers for him were god awful. Even after 4 years we have no idea what baker is and in a true make or break year we want him to role with what, some middling WRs? Let’s get baker a true #1 WR. We just saw every team playing for their conference title Having a legit #1. Everyone says we need to be like the titans, they have a legit #1 in Brown.

im sorry greatly improving the WRs will do two things. Let use know what baker can do when he has legit weapons and not a bunch of late rd picks and a Jarvis being the pass catchers or we set up the next QB by allowing them to step in with some weapons 

On 2/1/2022 at 9:16 PM, bruceb said:

I fundamentally agree with this but I wonder: Is it more important to build a winning team, regardless of the QB or WRs, or to build to evaluate Mayfield?

Like others have said, the league has evolved into, you need a legit #1. We complain that baker isn’t clutch at all but who does  he have the ability to throw to that can make a big catch? Burrows has chase who was an absolute monster. Stafford had Kupp, Mahomes had Hill and Kelce, 9ers had Samuel and Kittles. browns had Jarvis and Njoku 🤮.

like we came to expecting for a pass to have a chance it had to be an absolute dime by baker and one we know baker can’t do that all the time and even if it was a dime the WRs weren’t making the catch. If they did make the catch, they were getting absolutely no yac yards afterwards. 

we need a legit WR, someone who makes a corner nervous