College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

13 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

We had Urban Meyer, im super down on Ryan Day. This is his last shot for me, he has to beat UGA and UM for me to get back on his bandwagon.

Yep

I've said it for 3 years now, Day has created a "finesse" team, which in my opinion, is a fancy way of saying SUPER SOFT and lacking in accountability.

Urban was a lot of things, but soft wasn't one of them. Yeah, he sucked at evaluating QBs, but he churned out some Front 7 dudes, OL, RB, and guys who loved perimeter blocking.

We don't have that mindset here. It's a bunch of soft ZBS with not allowing his QBs to run and not committing to any identity on either side of the ball. It's loathsome. 

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Yep

I've said it for 3 years now, Day has created a "finesse" team, which in my opinion, is a fancy way of saying SUPER SOFT and lacking in accountability.

Urban was a lot of things, but soft wasn't one of them. Yeah, he sucked at evaluating QBs, but he churned out some Front 7 dudes, OL, RB, and guys who loved perimeter blocking.

We don't have that mindset here. It's a bunch of soft ZBS with not allowing his QBs to run and not committing to any identity on either side of the ball. It's loathsome. 

The thing that gave us the opportunity to win that game as well was that we were at least even in the trenches and we were the more physical team. I don't see it with this team....

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Yep

The problem though, if you can’t pass the ball, you have zero chance against Saban and Smart. They adapted and eat non passing teams alive.

By passing I mean NFL caliber QB passing. Not Hendon Hooker / JJ McCarthy types. Georgia will murder McCarthy if there’s a rematch.

Edited by candyman93

5 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

The thing that gave us the opportunity to win that game as well was that we were at least even in the trenches and we were the more physical team. I don't see it with this team....

I'd love to have known what this team would have done if he actually committed to the running game after averaging 8+ YPC and almost 130 yards in the first half against UM with their 4th string RB/LB convert.

If they would have had that mentality and stuck to it all season and road graded teams like they should have, I'd be more optimistic.

If they had a running QB as another dimension, I'd be more optimistic.

If they had a defense that had a capable secondary (not even a great one, just an average one) I'd be more optimistic.

If they had a good in game coach capable of making adjustments (we have the opposite), I'd be optimistic.

...and even then, it's a coin flip.

2 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

The problem though, if you can’t pass the ball, you have zero chance against Saban and Smart. They adapted and eat non passing teams alive.

I'm not advocating reverting back to JT Barrett or Tressel ball, but having more balance and commitment to being physical is absolutely lacking. Ryan Day refuses to establish or commit to the run when it's working. He's an infuriating in game coach incapable of making adjustments at all or stick with what's working if it's not "his way" on offense.

2 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

By passing I mean NFL caliber QB passing. Not Hendon Hooker / JJ McCarthy types. Georgia will murder McCarthy if there’s a rematch.

Oh I agree, but like I said, there has to be some semblance of a running game or physical play style.

Justin Fields had another dynamic

Joe Burrow could run a bit to go with CEH

UGA in 2021 had a mauling running game

2020 Alabama had Najee

Previous Bama teams had Derrick Henry

Clemson had Watson and Etienne

Modern college football, despite all of those teams having legit 1st Round/Top pick type quarterbacks, need mauling OL with good to great running games, regardless of how that's manufactured.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Really like watching the Army vs Navy game every year. Army has an NFL prospect on their team too in Andre Carter.

I hope that Army let's him obtain a waiver. The kid is a legit late D1 to early D2 prospect capable of fitting in a 3-4 or 4-3 system as an EDGE.

On 12/6/2022 at 7:40 AM, candyman93 said:

Really like watching the Army vs Navy game every year. Army has an NFL prospect on their team too in Andre Carter.

Yes really like him draft him save clowney money.

Though I could see Baltimore drafting 

Him and have the best pass rush in the

Nfl for 10 years. 

• Like 1