College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

21 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

It's almost like having Greg McElroy at QB instead of a #1 overall pick in Burrow could have something to do with the whole "pre-combine" thing that made him difficult to project athletically. 

I feel like scouts and GMs probably had him pegged as a top 10 guy much sooner than the general public.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

It's almost like having Greg McElroy at QB instead of a #1 overall pick in Burrow could have something to do with the whole "pre-combine" thing that made him difficult to project athletically. 

QB definitely played a role. But if it’s not on tape it’s not on tape. 

Coming out Julio didn’t show the route running and fluidity or top tier speed. I remember when he ran sub 4.4 everyone was surprised. 

But at the end of the day the Browns should’ve taken him at 6 🤣 

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I feel like scouts and GMs probably had him pegged as a top 10 guy much sooner than the general public.  

Yeah I mean I bet no team would have passed on him in that draft if he was available after 5

15 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

No Way Abandon Thread GIF

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

No Way Abandon Thread GIF

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/julio-jones/32004a4f-4e64-0315-6848-b53a911b9cd3

Flashes outstanding hands and ball skills, will make the highlight grabs and haul in passes well outside his frame, but also struggles with bouts of drops. Needs to shore up his hands and route-running to develop into a consistent chain-mover at the next level. Plays aggressively, will go over the middle and block. A foot injury hasn't hindered Jones' upside, and he is projected to be a mid first-round pick.

Mid first round pick like I said. I remember the 2011 draft, it might be the best one ever. Smh stupid Browns. 

our problem was each regime tried to pay for the sins of the past one instead of just drafting good players when they were there smh. 

8 minutes ago, brownie man said:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/julio-jones/32004a4f-4e64-0315-6848-b53a911b9cd3

Flashes outstanding hands and ball skills, will make the highlight grabs and haul in passes well outside his frame, but also struggles with bouts of drops. Needs to shore up his hands and route-running to develop into a consistent chain-mover at the next level. Plays aggressively, will go over the middle and block. A foot injury hasn't hindered Jones' upside, and he is projected to be a mid first-round pick.

Mid first round pick like I said. I remember the 2011 draft, it might be the best one ever. Smh stupid Browns. 

our problem was each regime tried to pay for the sins of the past one instead of just drafting good players when they were there smh. 

I can’t help it this schmuck missed on his evaluation lol 

5 hours ago, brownie man said:

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/608796-mock-draft-40-the-pre-combine-edition.amp.html

that’s a more in depth one. Remember when Cam wasn’t projected to go number 1 smh. I remember it wasn’t till like March that people started not being idiots about Cam. 

but yeah in this mock Julio was projected to go 14. That’s the range most were at 10-16 or so pre combine.  

Julio wasn’t Chase level coming out. Chase was a bonafide top 5 pick. 

Cam Newton was the greatest college football player I’ve ever seen. Him and Nick Fairley carried them by their play alone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

Are we for real arguing Julio’s hype and/or ability coming out? This is so dumb. Complete stud before, during, after the combine. I was livid when we traded down that year. I remember where I was at the time matter of fact.

Same 😂 

I was in my best friends living room. As soon as PP went 5 I’m like alright so we just go Julio here. Sit back and just put the card in and that’s it. Next thing I see TRADE ATLANTA. So stupid 😭 Tom Heckert man smh I liked him too. I pray Berry never pulls one of those.  

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Cam Newton was the greatest college football player I’ve ever seen. Him and Nick Fairley carried them by their play alone.

Same everybody in my generation is quick to put Reggie as the best they’ve seen, but to me it’s Cam. What he did in that one year at Auburn to come in as a transfer, win the heisman, and then the Natty. He was a man amongst boys. That come back vs Alabama down what 21 points?! Cmon man and people were literally mocking him mid first round pre combine. I’m like y’all crazy man 

8 hours ago, candyman93 said:

True story. Dude went wire to wire as unquestionably the best player in college that season.  And Fairly was almost as dominant.  

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, candyman93 said:

What’s crazy is that he was I believe the only player on that offense to get drafted/play in the NFL. Truly separated himself from everyone else.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I think they had an OT get drafted in the 7th, but you’re basically right

Thinking of other prospects that carried units/teams with nobody else in my lifetime, Suh was up there at Nebraska, Calvin Johnson with Reggie Ball throwing him the ball at GT, and a few others I'll have to think through later.