College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

35 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

Winning 80% of your games isn't good enough anymore. 

20 years ago there was far more parity in CFB than here is today. Now its a few dominant programs that need dominant recruiting classes every single year. You aren't allowed off years. You aren't allowed any slip ups. Ryan Day would be fired already if we were getting blownout week-1 by USC in a game everyone knew we'd get murdered in because the offense blows and there's no creativity. Pete Carroll literally said after the game he knew what we were going to do every play because we were predictable. For gods sake some of the best programs in the early 2000s were WV and Pittsburgh and BSU. Now its only the blue bloods winning.

Coaches like Tressel who were uber conservative have been completely phased out because its a mathematically fact that opting for the punts and field goals whenever they are presented leaves points on the board. Running safe, low risk plays over and over leaves points on the board. You have to score, and score a ton of points. You have to be dynamic and attack all over the field. You have to make things easier for your team by relying on schemes to score points, rather than overpowering the opposition like Tressell did. Kirk Ferentz is obiously nowhere near as good as Tressell, but is also a dinosaur with an outdated approach to  football and we see where its gone. 

Tressel was great for his time. But theres a reason why Urban was so next level. Urban was an actual visionary. He saw the future and made it a reality. He was ahead of his time, and basically had a market inefficiency that allowed him to kill competition until the world caught up. Tresell was a great coach, who's system was archaic and it always would limit the potential of the team. 

It depends on whether or not he evolves. You just described Nick Saban’s entire approach up through 2015 or even until he put Tua in for Hurts three years later.

If Tressel hires Ryan Day OC and does the same OC stuff it’s absolutely the same.

If not, yeah probably fair to a degree.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, roger murdock said:

Coaches like Tressel who were uber conservative have been completely phased out because its a mathematically fact that opting for the punts and field goals whenever they are presented leaves points on the board

In ‘10 when Pryor finally a jump as a passer we saw OSU basically avg 39pts a game which was 11th in the nation. 

2006 they were 8th in the nation in scoring. 

he was conservative but when he had the offense and the QB he opened up the play book but he was never going to put the defense in a bad spot. look at tress, his two worst defenses he had during his tenure was 20th and 16th the rest were all top10. 

also right around the time tress got fired is when the offense game started To explode.

also you wanna talk about conservative offensive, urban would get very conservative, he relied way too much on the QB run.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, buno67 said:

In ‘10 when Pryor finally a jump as a passer we saw OSU basically avg 39pts a game which was 11th in the nation. 

2006 they were 8th in the nation in scoring. 

he was conservative but when he had the offense and the QB he opened up the play book but he was never going to put the defense in a bad spot. look at tress, his two worst defenses he had during his tenure was 20th and 16th the rest were all top10. 

also right around the time tress got fired is when the offense game started To explode.

also you wanna talk about conservative offensive, urban would get very conservative, he relied way too much on the QB run.

Yeah Smith won the Heisman under Tressel, the offenses weren’t that anemic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I could see Berry drafting offensive line and WR help.

I think the defense is set (franchise Delpit). However, the offense needs help at several places unfortunately.

I hope we reach some injury settlements and restructure some dudes like Conklin, Amari, etc.

The receivers are horrible and have been for a long time outside of Cooper.

The OL is toeing the line between veteran and old with Bitonio, Teller, and Pokic.

Chubb is an unknown coming off of this devastating injury.

We need to pay/lock up Delpit and even though we have Jed for a 5th year, we need to find a LTOTF or RTOTF if DeWand kicks to LT.

It is a concern even though he’s a rookie that Tillman can’t be active or even on the field.

There is virtually no deep threat on this roster because Goodwin ain’t it.

We need a #2 or even a #1 with Amari being a 2.

We need at least one receiver high. 

2nd round pick should probably be receiver or traded for Davante. 

Either Conklin or Wills has to be a trade chip this offseason because there damn sure aint no way you can keep Dawand Jones off the field at this point. 

He might be our best tackle honestly, and Wills and Conklin are too good to not be projected starters. Gotta trade one. 

1 minute ago, candyman93 said:

Any 6’4+ 265+ DE’s that look intriguing?

It’s a bad DE class. If Sawyer unlikely declares, he is intriguing. Otherwise, the class just sucks. I think this is a weak draft in general aside from the QB’s and the top WR/S guys (rounds 1 & 2).

We won’t likely be finding starters in the draft IMO. 

First Mock of the Year:

2nd: Ja'Tavion Sanders TE Texas
-Freaky athlete who was the BPA and BPA pass catcher on the board.

3rd: Devontez Walker WR North Carolina
-Has some legitimate #1 WR traits. Love his upside and ability as a deep threat.

5th: Will Rogers QB Mississippi State
-Supremely underrated QB. Poised and accurate. Has a good enough arm and good enough mobility. Smart.

5th: Ainias Smith WR/RB/RET Texas A&M
-Swiss army knife that provides quickness and long speed. Kick returning phenom too.

6th: Tony Grimes CB Texas A&M
-Very good athlete who is buried behind some talented players at TAMU. Grimes is gonna climb boards.

6th: Jestin Jacobs MLB Oregon
-Speed and athleticism are elite for a LB. Has some problems diagnosing, but upside is immense. Could play all 3 LB spots.

7th: Jalen Catalon FS Texas
-Truly special centerfielder who has had some major injury concerns. Great instincts and ball skills...just can't stay healthy.

I think we need to re-sign our dudes at all costs. I don't care if the world comes crashing down on our heads in 2027 or whenever...keep kicking the can, because we are a title contender as long as we keep the core together.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

First Mock of the Year:

2nd: Ja'Tavion Sanders TE Texas
-Freaky athlete who was the BPA and BPA pass catcher on the board.

3rd: Devontez Walker WR North Carolina
-Has some legitimate #1 WR traits. Love his upside and ability as a deep threat.

5th: Will Rogers QB Mississippi State
-Supremely underrated QB. Poised and accurate. Has a good enough arm and good enough mobility. Smart.

5th: Ainias Smith WR/RB/RET Texas A&M
-Swiss army knife that provides quickness and long speed. Kick returning phenom too.

6th: Tony Grimes CB Texas A&M
-Very good athlete who is buried behind some talented players at TAMU. Grimes is gonna climb boards.

6th: Jestin Jacobs MLB Oregon
-Speed and athleticism are elite for a LB. Has some problems diagnosing, but upside is immense. Could play all 3 LB spots.

7th: Jalen Catalon FS Texas
-Truly special centerfielder who has had some major injury concerns. Great instincts and ball skills...just can't stay healthy.

I think we need to re-sign our dudes at all costs. I don't care if the world comes crashing down on our heads in 2027 or whenever...keep kicking the can, because we are a title contender as long as we keep the core together.

Excellent post 

Still really liking safeties with are first pick this will let me trade Thornhill

Then sign 2 fast wr his money.

This wil give us 3 starters with the off season.

Then extend delpit and jok then that sets us up.  Next year with a tackle 1and 2.

But truthfully I would trade Newsome and are second and go get nix qb this would give us a wicked running attack when Watson gets injured next year.

On 11/11/2023 at 11:36 PM, candyman93 said:

I could see Berry drafting offensive line and WR help.

I think the defense is set (franchise Delpit). However, the offense needs help at several places unfortunately.

Yeah our first few picks need to be on the Offensive side of the ball. 
Im more worried about WR than OL. But OL definitely needs a look as well