College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

2 hours ago, roger murdock said:

Mike Vrabel sure. I think he will do worse, but I get it. Urban was having panic attacks on the sidelines and had to resign for health reasons, and had a million scandals his last at bat. His heart isnt in it anymore - physically and emotionally. 

You think he’ll do worse?  Okey-dokey then. I’m sold. 

Ryan Day was hired to be the complete opposite of Urban Meyer as a human being. 

Ryan Day is a class act who does things the right way. His biggest “gaff” has been calling out a geriatric pudding eater from South Bend.

Urban Meyer is questionable on his best days.

The problem is that Ryan Day is nowhere close to Urban. You KNOW Urban would do anything to win every single game. Day treats it like a hobby.

Edited by candyman93

10 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Ryan Day was hired to be the complete opposite of Urban Meyer as a human being. 

Ryan Day is a class act who does things the right way. His biggest “gaff” has been calling out a geriatric pudding eater from South Bend.

Urban Meyer is questionable on his best days.

The problem is that Ryan Day is nowhere close to Urban. You KNOW Urban would do anything to win every single game. Day treats it like a hobby.

I think it is always a bad idea at a program that’s a blue chip to bring in anyone who has never been a head coach before at any level. It was a bad idea then and still is many years later.

He will somehow likely do better in playoff expansion than in this model.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

This team has been on the cusp of a title all 5 years. It sucks, but we've been much closer to winning a title under Day than we were in Urbans last 4 years. We needed an ATG college season from Haskins to avoid going 7-5 for gods sake. 

Can you say with confidence that OSU is a title contender next year? How about the year after that? How about the year after that?

Okay, let’s change the topic: Do you think Day will beat Michigan next year? How about the year after that?

Nobody gives a flying f%#^* about winning the Orange Bowl. If you want that to be the highlight of your season, go root for Oklahoma or somebody like Iowa. Make sure you tell recruits your expectation is to compete for a Rose Bowl and watch them go play for Georgia / Alabama.

Edited by candyman93

4 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Can you say with confidence that OSU is a title contender next year? How about the year after that? How about the year after that?

Okay, let’s change the topic: Do you think Day will beat Michigan next year? How about the year after that?

Nobody gives a flying f%#^* about winning the Orange Bowl. If you want that to be the highlight of your season, go root for Oklahoma or somebody like Iowa. Make sure you tell recruits your expectation is to compete for a Rose Bowl and watch them go play for Georgia / Alabama.

What you’ll start seeing is simple:

If he doesn’t get a conference title or home playoff game, people will become irritated.

If he wins a couple playoff games the anger will fade. 

If he starts losing early playoff matchups or loses to UM multiple times with the removal of divisions, it makes it an NFL model where coaches get fired for not winning in the playoffs. He basically becomes Wade Phillips.

If he loses some of these games but wins in the playoffs and goes deep, he probably stays as long as he wants.

The fact is, his big game meltdowns are as big of an issue as the UM stuff. It’s laughable, and no offense Roger, that you can sit here and bang on Tress for not winning big games (which is wrong btw) and yet love Day who is 1-5 vs Top 5 opponents with a solitary playoff win, and embarrassing losses of 20+ points to Michigan, 14 to Oregon (2 of those 3 at home), choke against Georgia, choke against Clemson, destroyed vs Alabama.

You can’t have it both ways by cherry picking a random game vs USC and LSU/UF and ignoring the Miami win and a 9-1 record vs TTUN.

5 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Additionally, I feel like people keep downplaying the teams Tressel and Urban played. Tressel best a #2 Michigan team.  Urban beat a #3 and #4 Michigan team.

Michigan didn’t just have down years on their own, part of that was due to those coaches at OSU whipping them consistently. If they beat OSU in some of those seasons their perception changed significantly.

Im not saying fire Day just because, but if the right guy is available I think it needs to be considered.

27 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

We lost because we have a garbage QB. I'd just like to wait for one bad season before firing a head coach. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

We lost because we have a garbage QB. I'd just like to wait for one bad season before firing a head coach. 

With how recruiting is, you can’t do that. Recruiting is heavily influenced by the perception of your program. If recruits start thinking “these guys can only beat Purdue / Northwestern” they’ll look elsewhere.

NFL comparison- Imagine whiffing on some draft classes because you kept a bad GM.

Michigan isn't a garbage program anymore. Michigan was literally losing to Toledo and having losing records every 3 years. 

Michigan had terrible teams in 2020, 2014, 2013, 2010, 2009, 2008, and 2004. 

Michigan had a great team in 2021, 2022, 2023, 2006, and arguably 2016

The rest of the years they were ok to good. 

Half of Tressel and Urbans years it I was more scared of Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota, etc. Every year of their careers sans 2006 and 2016, I was more afraid of MSU, PSU, and Wisconsin. 

I'd rather beat Michigan and lose to unranked Purdues and unranked Iowas etc... but winning games against top 5 opponents is hard. If Ryan Day got to play Tressels Michigan or Urbans Michigan, he'd be 4-0. 

But I wish that UM overreacted like you children are and fired they great coach over a few games instead of seeing the better picture because we'd be stomping them if not for Harbaugh. Wait for JH to leave for the NFL and our 11-1 coach will be going 12-0 ever year.

I will mention this-

Ohio State is going to be hiring a new athletic director. Just pure speculation on my part, but whoever the new AD is probably won’t feel comfortable making a massive change. 

They probably need to focus on cleaning house in other areas (no idea why Chris Holtmann is still allowed to coach the men’s basketball team). 

So my money says they will not do anything to Ryan Day and give him 1 more year.

I get him being on high alert, but there’s next to 0% chance they get rid of Ryan Day this year. I think next year could be a different story and he could be looking for other pastures if things don’t work out well then. He could even get a decent lifeline next year with them going to a 12 team playoff depending on how things shake out. Regardless, yeah, I don’t have any confidence that we are going to be the team out-coaching the other team in these elite matchups. I’ve said for a couple years now, the style we play is just not conducive to beating elite teams and controlling the game. And I’ve not yet seen positive adjustments.