College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

To be fair, we all said the same thing about Takitaki last year.

I don’t think it’s crazy to assume a decent progression year one to year two with better back end talent, a second year in the system and hopefully a regular training camp and preseason.

This is why you don’t depend on rookies.

True, but Takitaki at least tested well on the SPARQ. Phillips didn’t and had mediocre college production but “didn’t miss tackles”. 

1 hour ago, big poppa pump said:

I want one of these guys to start opposite Myles next year

Basham

He's a 2nd rounder in my opinion. He's not going test well. I do like him a lot. He reminds me of Ogbah/Shaq Lawson in terms of play style.

Patrick Jones

He's a 2nd-3rd rounder in my opinion. Slippery edge player, but not a very active run defender. I doubt he would play well against TE's opposite Garrett.

Osasi

Ossai is a 2nd-3rd rounder too. The dude is rail thin and is probably a linebacker. Definitely not a guy that will be playing 4-3 LDE.

Paye

He is probably a 1st rounder. He's as strong as an ox. I could see him going in the top 10-15 picks this year just because it's not a great DE draft and he's got the most NFL-ready frame.

Which of these would require a first round pick, and which do you think could be had in the 2nd?

I personally think Jaelan Phillips is better than all of those guys. And maybe even better than the consensus #1 DE, Gregory Rousseau. 

7 hours ago, MWil23 said:

True, but Takitaki at least tested well on the SPARQ. Phillips didn’t and had mediocre college production but “didn’t miss tackles”. 

Philips didnt test that bad. He was 8th in sparq for backer. Taki sparq was around 129 and Philips was around 127

8 hours ago, MWil23 said:

i thought he led the SEC in tackles or something like that. I know he produced more than Patrick Queen

5 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

I want one of these guys to start opposite Myles next year

Basham

Patrick Jones

Osasi

Paye

Which of these would require a first round pick, and which do you think could be had in the 2nd?

Our best bet is that none of these guys have to start but which one we can get and they do the best starting in a pinch as the best guys we can get via FA/Trade in the offseason. 

As far as answering your question, Basham, Jones II, and Paye all will require 1st IMO

I think, getting into that next tier a high upside guy with juice who can develop into a starter 2 years from now but give quality reps in a pinch now would be huge for us.

Jaelan Phillips

Myjai Sanders

Tyreke Smith ( if he declares)

Jayson Owen

Jordan Smith

Joshua Kaindoah

Edited by MSURacerDT55

2 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

i thought he led the SEC in tackles or something like that. I know he produced more than Patrick Queen

He had a lot of tackles and basically nothing else, like sacks, INT, etc. Anthony Schlegel esque for an NFL guy.

19 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I’m more interested in your guys thoughts on the free agency.

Free Agency-

Keep: Sheldon Richardson, Jamie Gillan, Adrian Clayborn, OBJ

Let walk: BJ Goodson, Larry Ogunjobi, Karl Joseph, Andrew Sendejo, Kevin Johnson

Resign: Olivier Vernon, Rashard Higgins, Terrance Mitchell

Sign: Matt Milano from Buffalo

Release: Cody Parkey, David Njoku

Draft-

1. Nick Bolton, LB, Missouri: Him and Milano fix our LB core immediately.

2. Eric Stokes, CB, Georgia: Gives us a more dependable 2nd CB.

3. Richard Lecounte, S, Georgia: Gives us depth behind Ronnie Harrison.

3. Israel Mukuamu, CB, South Carolina: Adds more depth to the secondary.

4. Hamsah Nasirildeen, S, Florida State: Another massive body for the secondary.

4. Dimitri Moore, LB, Vanderbilt: Depth at LB.

5. Cade York, K, LSU: Best kicker in college football.

6. Pookah Williams, RB, Kansas: Will provide depth and challenge D’ernest.

7. Big Kat Bryant, DE, Auburn: Depth at DE.

Pretty sure York is a sophomore.....is he draft eligible?

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

He had a lot of tackles and basically nothing else, like sacks, INT, etc. Anthony Schlegel esque for an NFL guy.

Yikes.....Phillips at least had optimal size and at least above average athleticism. 

I think we take his athleticism for granted, he made a few athletic plays for us this year. 

My mans Schlegs was just all heart with a pinch of instincts

13 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Just another fantastic mid round WR. His game against Alabama was just insane.

0:59 on the first highlight, look at Nick Bolton make the play 1 on 1 though 👀. But he is would be the day 1 punt returner/KR 

Toney reminds me of a baby Percy Harvin

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Just another fantastic mid round WR. His game against Alabama was just insane.

47 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

0:59 on the first highlight, look at Nick Bolton make the play 1 on 1 though 👀. But he is would be the day 1 punt returner/KR 

Toney reminds me of a baby Percy Harvin

41 minutes ago, zelbell said:

Toney would be the perfect mid round WR that can be a deep threat and PR/KR that we need

Hopefully it's my bubble that will be burst and not y'all's, but I'm seeing Toney mostly mocked around early second round. If we could get this guy in the late third-to-late-fourth, *Kool aid guy breaking through wall gif*.

• Like 1

I 100% understand why people get upset when they see us talking about offensive players.

My rationale is this:

I want a top 5-10 offense every year going forward. That’s really hard to do when your depth guys start wanting to get paid. The Steelers, Packers, Falcons, Saints, and Manning led Colts were famous for consistently drafting WRs every single year. Not a bunch, just at least 1 guy. They would also try to get 1 offensive linemen.

None of those guys need to be high picks. They can all be mid to late round players.