What movie are you watching?

Forge

I just saw The Exorcist: Believer last night. To no one's shock, it's a mess. It starts out promising enough for the first 40 minutes or so with decent build-up, then for the second half, it takes a complete nosedive with a bunch of wasted characters (and too many characters) that go nowhere and a totally wasted Chris McNeil as a legacy character, who could've easily been written out of the movie and nothing would've changed in terms of plot. As a matter of fact, the movie started going downhill ever since she randomly appeared out of nowhere with dumb moments (I'm not joking when I say characters literally point out obvious shyt, contradict themselves/plot points from moments/minutes ago, flip flop on beliefs, etc.), occasional cringy dialog (there's actually a patriarchy dig in the movie, I'm not joking about that, either) and shyt we've already seen countless times in the dozens of exorcism movies we have already, including the original Exorcist with lazy throwbacks or outright copypastas.

Basically, it didn't know WTF to do, say or be once Chris entered the picture in the most half-arsed legacy appearance I think I've ever seen. 

Jason Blum needs to stop giving this hack work, or at least stop giving him horror projects. He's batting 1 for 4 on horror films, and I really think Halloween 2018 was him catching lightning in a bottle. No shyt he wasn't gonna be the one to finally capture the magic of the classic original (which is still one of the best horror films of all time IMHO) after all the terrible sequels/prequels. DGG should just stick to drama/comedy, his other genre stuff is actually pretty decent, Joe, Pineapple Express, Vice Principals, etc.

Edited by KManX89

16 hours ago, KManX89 said:

I just saw The Exorcist: Believer last night. To no one's shock, it's a mess. It starts out promising enough for the first 40 minutes or so with decent build-up, then for the second half, it takes a complete nosedive with a bunch of wasted characters (and too many characters) that go nowhere and a totally wasted Chris McNeil as a legacy character, who could've easily been written out of the movie and nothing would've changed in terms of plot. As a matter of fact, the movie started going downhill ever since she randomly appeared out of nowhere with dumb moments (I'm not joking when I say characters literally point out obvious shyt, contradict themselves/plot points from moments/minutes ago, flip flop on beliefs, etc.), occasional cringy dialog (there's actually a patriarchy dig in the movie, I'm not joking about that, either) and shyt we've already seen countless times in the dozens of exorcism movies we have already, including the original Exorcist with lazy throwbacks or outright copypastas.

Basically, it didn't know WTF to do, say or be once Chris entered the picture in the most half-arsed legacy appearance I think I've ever seen. 

Jason Blum needs to stop giving this hack work, or at least stop giving him horror projects. He's batting 1 for 4 on horror films, and I really think Halloween 2018 was him catching lightning in a bottle. No shyt he wasn't gonna be the one to finally capture the magic of the classic original (which is still one of the best horror films of all time IMHO) after all the terrible sequels/prequels. DGG should just stick to drama/comedy, his other genre stuff is actually pretty decent, Joe, Pineapple Express, Vice Principals, etc.

The recent trailers really sold me on this being a massive flop, and then I learned the guy behind the new Halloween's was directing? Yeah, no way in hell I'm wasting money on it.

• Like 1

An American Werewolf in London Funny at times, terrifying at others, this horror comedy at times doesn't know what it wants to be.  Awesome practical effects.  It also feels like it just ends.  However, it's entertaining enough.  7/10

Halloween 3: Season of the Witch starts off promising.  A man dies with a halloween mask, and a doctor becomes involved in the mystery mainly because he want to bang that mans young daughter.  Dan O'Herlihy is great as the villain, although his motive isn't really explained.  Some credit for trying something new with the franchise, but the movie is just something to watch.  4/10

The Witch was just ok.  Some creepy parts(the peek-a-boo scene with her baby brother) I liked how the movie is more about mood and atmosphere over blood and jump scares.  I didn't care for the ending.  6/10

Totally Killer on Amazon.  After her mom is murdered by a killer who killed 3 teenage girls 35 years ago, a teenage girl is accidentally sent back in time to 1987 right before the killer strikes.  Scream meets Back to the Future(both movies referenced) in this somewhat entertaining horror comedy.  How would a 17 year old do back in the 80s?  That was the best part of the movie.  Once again, the killer is very predictable.  And that has to be among the least intimidating masks he/she/they wear.  6/10

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bowler1215 said:

An American Werewolf in London Funny at times, terrifying at others, this horror comedy at times doesn't know what it wants to be.  Awesome practical effects.  It also feels like it just ends.  However, it's entertaining enough.  7/10

Halloween 3: Season of the Witch starts off promising.  A man dies with a halloween mask, and a doctor becomes involved in the mystery mainly because he want to bang that mans young daughter.  Dan O'Herlihy is great as the villain, although his motive isn't really explained.  Some credit for trying something new with the franchise, but the movie is just something to watch.  4/10

The Witch was just ok.  Some creepy parts(the peek-a-boo scene with her baby brother) I liked how the movie is more about mood and atmosphere over blood and jump scares.  I didn't care for the ending.  6/10

Totally Killer on Amazon.  After her mom is murdered by a killer who killed 3 teenage girls 35 years ago, a teenage girl is accidentally sent back in time to 1987 right before the killer strikes.  Scream meets Back to the Future(both movies referenced) in this somewhat entertaining horror comedy.  How would a 17 year old do back in the 80s?  That was the best part of the movie.  Once again, the killer is very predictable.  And that has to be among the least intimidating masks he/she/they wear.  6/10

American Werewolf in London... I pretty much am where you are

The Witch I am much higher on than you.. thought it was outstanding although you are completely correct about it being about mood and atmosphere.. I actually think that is what makes it brilliant...

haven't seen the other two, but Totally Killer sounds interesting..

On 10/10/2023 at 9:33 PM, MacReady said:

Watching Leviathan.

There aren’t enough “Group of people set against practical monster effects in a secluded location” movies.

Speaking of...watched The Thing for only the second time ever. It's even better than I remember.

1 hour ago, MacReady said:

Talk To Me was a great, great, great movie. Not perfect, but a solid 8/10. Every fan of horror should watch it. Loved it.

Yep, I can't wait to see what the Philippou's do with horror going forward. It's amazing they came from YouTube and yet had such a technically sound and awesome debut.

• Like 1