What movie are you watching?

Forge

9 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

that one was great too. i loved everything about it besides the performances from the two leads honestly. they may've played the roles perfectly, like exactly as the director wanted, but a lot of the line reads kinda made me roll my eyes. some of it was just the dialogue/script wasn't for me at all. i remember the theater i was in laughing at some of the more serious moments, which also kinda impacted the watch lol. but yeah i loved the big swing with this one and i think it really well executed. great score. all the pink opaque **** was really cool, the set design stuff it was all really cool. the way it looked and felt it felt like a david robert mitchell movie to me (who did it follow and under the silver lake), which i really love that feel. was like a charlie kaufman concept, filmed by david robert mitchell where greg araki wrote it. 

i saw the tv glow, kinds of kindness and the substance are probably the only 3 films i've seen this year where i was really excited to see the director taking a swing like that. 

gonna go to megalopolis tomorrow. really excited for that one. whenever i see a ratings distribution either all 1 star or 5 star or a completely even distribution of 1,2,3,4,5, i know it's gonna be a good time and trying to do something fun. 

I agree 100% with the bolded, but I think that is actually the way the writer/director intended it to be taken? I was so upset by the ending, like it made me really sad, that I had to go deeper and read about it. And the director said in an interview that they actually chose that as the ending because it is a little funny, at least to them. They put Conner O'Malley in the movie as the manager because he's hilarious, but even his parts come off a little mean and sad. I think you are supposed to take it a little less seriously than I did. If I hear 'Pink Opaque' spoken again though in the next year, it would be too soon lol.

I'm with you, I loved the set pieces and effects and everything like that. I grew up in the tail end of the 90s, so I had a cool personal perspective while watching. Like, I never watched Pete and Pete, but I remember seeing commercials for it all the time when I was watching the Nickelodeon shows I did watch. In that way, it was kind of like The Pink Opaque to me like how it was to Owen in the beginning of the movie. There are definitely lots of references specifically to Pete and Pete in here too; I think I even saw Danny Tamborelli in the movie?

But yeah, great movie. I tried watching Under the Silver Lake, but I couldn't get into it. Maybe it's worth another shot. 

3 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Hit Man:  interesting perspective twisting movie.  A lot more compelling than i expected, but also pretty funny.  Didn't expect that much from it but it takes you on a solid ride imo.

I loved Hit Man. Glenn Powell is awesome.  

I didn't realize how much I didn't like Deadpool and Wolverine until I watched The Fall Guy and Hit Man. Those were super fun, incredibly entertaining, well made movies in ways that D&W just wasn't. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

Greatest testosterone , macho man movie ever made. 

One of the greatest satires on the subject ever made, absolutely. There's a really fantastic piece on Predator on why it is so smart and so amazing.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/72440702?utm_campaign=postshare_fan&utm_content=android_share

What's a modern day equivalent to a movie like Predator or Robocop or The Thing? A movie that appeals greatly to the most base joys of movie watching, but has really cutting social and political commentary oozing out of it for those who want to dig in and find it?

Challengers was good but I had mixed feelings about it.  I don't recall a movie where all 3 leads were both characters I rooted for and against.  All 3 were great and toxic to each other.  The big tennis match that would happen at the end of the movie happens here in present time.  The movie flashes back all over the place from 'a few days ago' to years ago.  I wasn't a fan of the movie jumping the timeline all over like that.  It also felt long.  It's just over 2 hours, it felt double that.  I did like it, I didn't really enjoy it.  I may have liked it more if I was into tennis.  This is a one and done for me.  7/10

22 hours ago, minutemancl said:

One of the greatest satires on the subject ever made, absolutely. There's a really fantastic piece on Predator on why it is so smart and so amazing.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/72440702?utm_campaign=postshare_fan&utm_content=android_share

What's a modern day equivalent to a movie like Predator or Robocop or The Thing? A movie that appeals greatly to the most base joys of movie watching, but has really cutting social and political commentary oozing out of it for those who want to dig in and find it?

Throwing out possibilities with Mad Max Fury Road or Avatar? 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2024 at 9:04 PM, Malfatron said:

As i get older theres nobody i relate to more than the stepdad from Stepbrothers

Bill Simmons had a similar measure of adulthood based on Ferris Bueller. 

Said you know you're an adult when you go from rooting for Cameron when he's destroying the car to being mad at him.