BDL 2020 Week 2 - Williamsport Soul Reavers @ Hungary Hippos

rackcs

Williamsport Soul Reavers @ Hungary Hippos  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Williamsport Soul Reavers
    • Hungary Hippos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/24/2020 at 04:01 AM

BDL 2020 Week 2

Match:  Williamsport Soul Reavers @ Hungary Hippos

Away Owner: @wwhickok

Home Owner: @PR

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both

Williamsport Soul Reavers

Game Day Roster:
QB: Ben Roethlisberger
RB: Derrick Henry
TE: Vance McDonald 
WR: Calvin Ridley
WR: Allen Lazard
WR: Julian Edleman
LT: Dion Dawkins
LG Quniton Spain
C : JC Tretter
RG: Cody Ford
RT: DJ Humphries 

Bench:
Rb: Frank Gore
Rb: Tarik Cohen
FB: Derrick Watt
TE: Dallas Goedert 
WR; Jalen Reagor
WR Olabisi Johnson 
WR: Miles Boykin
OC: Mitch Morse

DEFENSE:

LDE: Quinton Jefferson 
NT: DJ Reader
RDE: Jordan Phillips
LOLB: Brian Burns
ILB: Devin Bush
ILB: Kwon Alexander
ROLB: Shaq Barrett
CB: Jimmy Smith
CB: Carlton Davis
FS: Quandre Diggs
SS: Adrian Phillips 

Bench: 
DE Leonard Williams
DE: Charles Omenuhu
ILB: Denzel Perryman
CB: Mike Hilton
CB: Cam Sutton
CB: Donte Jackson
CB: Trayvon Mulllen
S: Terrell Edmunds

Hungary Hippos

QB - Dak Prescott

RB - Raheem Mostert

WR - TY Hilton

WR - DK Metcalf

WR - Darius Slayton

TE - Jordan Reed

LT - Eric Fisher

LG - Ali Marpet

C - Graham Glasgow

RG - Daniel Brunskill

RT - Bobby Massie

RB - James Robinson

RB - Leonard Fournette

WR - Larry Fitzgerald

WR - Andy Isabella

TE - Greg Olsen

TE - TJ Hockenson

OL - Donovan Smith

OL - Sam Tevi

DE - Brandon Graham

DT - Danny Shelton

DT - Davon Hamilton

DE - Everson Griffen

LB - Dre Greenlaw

LB/S - Harrison Smith

CB - Casey Heyward Jr.

CB - Shaquille Griffen

NCB - Emmanuel Moseley

FS - Buddah Baker

SS - Chuck Clark

DE - Mario Addison

DT - Jonathan Allen

DT - Trysten Hill

LB - Joshua Bynes

LB - Kyzir White

CB - Logan Ryan

CB - Armani Oruwariye

S - Jabrill Peppers

Edited by rackcs

Williamsport Soul Reavers

OFFENSE: 

I Will be adjusting my gameplan this week given the more dynamic defense I will be playing.
I am going to use schemes heavily involving 2 TE sets and 3WR sets. I will be using both of these schemes to run and pass out of and I will occasionally use a 4 WR set to spread out the defense. The fact that Hungary has a stout is not going to make me run less its going to make me run more with the goal of wearing down the defensive line. I will also throw in I formation and Offset formations to utilize Derek Watt as both a receiver and a lead blocker.

At WR ill have Ridley and Raegor as deep receivers when throwing deep. All of my receivers will have crossing and hook routes. I want Ridley utilizing double moves to attempt to create sedation. 
Ball Control is absolutely the plan again here. Long, methodical, clock chewing, point scoring drives is our goal. Expect a heavy dose of Henry (30+ carries)

Goedert will be utilized on some streak routes, crosing routes, and angle routes. McDonald as a more physical TE will be utilized on level, in and out routes near the edges of the field and behind the Defensive when space is available.

DEFENSE:

We are working under the assumption that Hungary is going to continue the use of an Air Coryell offense. With that in mind we are going to run a heavy blitz defense with the goal of disrupting the offensive timing.  I will be running a 57% blitz frequency in this game. With a weakness at RT in Donovan Smith i plan to often overload that side requiring Hungary to either give him help taking away from their receiving targets or risk giving up a sack. I wany both of my starting safeties maintaining deep coverage to protect getting beat deep. When in dime I'll have Edmunds on the field as the dimebacker to help up front. The goal is to keep everything in front of us.

An Air Coryell offense, as mentioned, is predicated on timing and quick scores. With disruption from my defense rhe goal is to force turnovers and limit scoring opportunities from Hungsry with long, methodical, time consuming drives. 
We will use Cover 2 & 3 with a sprinkle of various other situational fitting schemes. We are going to use disguises on most of our coverages. In fact because their offense is going to require the ability to use motion to see tells on defense it is our intent to show zone on every single play. When someone goes in motion instead of having someone follow them, our Defense will simply adjust coverage assignments based on a zone mentality even if the coverage calls for man. 4ven if it means they're crossing the field on the snap, in man coverage they'll cover whomever is on their side of the field pre snap. This eliminates the tells and we are confident in the speed we have on defense to make this work, especially against an offense that features two aging WRs. When the ball is released i want every single player abandoning their coverage (minus where the ball is going) and going at the ball carrier like a heat seeking missile. If they catch a pass theyll feel the reprecussions on Monday.
Zone/Man will be about a 40/60 split.  They have play makers, there is simply no denying that but their run game isn't as strong as their pass game. So in situations where they're likely running the ball we will have more LBs on the field with the goal of making Hungary one dimensional by eliminating successful runs from the equation. 
Bottom line, we believe we can out muscle and outplay the opposition.

Hungary Hippos

Offense: Looking at Williamsport one of its main weaknesses going into Week 2 is the secondary. Jimmy Smith is a GTD with a hip injury. Donte Jackson is hobbled by an ankle injury and everyone not named Carlton Davis is a risky play in the secondary.

Offensive Play Style - Air Coryell - Main Formation 3WR-1-TE-1RB; additional formations: 2WR-2TE, 4WR, 5WR
Main Attributes of the play style - Passing options are in motion to diagnose Man vs. Zone Coverage. Medium to Long passing routes utilizing the trip-speed receivers. Two WRs will be running deep routes throughout the majority of the game to wear down the corners and find the open man. A strong lean to the interior running game to set up play action. 

WSR is an intriguing defensively schematic person. He has built his team around flexibility, last week for example he wanted his cornerbacks to play sides because he didn’t want them to focus on a specific target. If we start seeing this playstyle again this week, we start running some no huddle trip plays to the side of the field away from Carlton Davis. This will force Davis to adjust and be out of position off the snap and get a receiver open immediately.  This will also impact the safety coverage against the deep pattern.

Hilton, Metcalf and Slayton will not have defined areas of the field and will move around the formation so there isn’t a consistent area one WR will be on.  We will also be heavily utilizing our three headed TE attack both at the line and flexed out. Reed will start, but it will be a TEBC as we want to get the hot hands out there. Last week WSR didn’t gameplan for the opposing TE at all even though they had Mark Andrews on the field so we look to see someone cover at some point… whether it be Bush or Kwon (and if not I guess we will be funneling the ball to the TE for a big part of the game). If a safety is put onto the TE that leaves one of my deep threats at WR on one-on-one coverage with a corner. 

The Mostert/Robinson/Fournette will be the three RBs this week utilized on offense. Mostert will have 70% of the touches while Robinson and Fournette will round out the last 30%. The RBs will be used both with interior run to open up the playaction, as well as in the passing game on the edge and being flexed out. With the defense spread out trying to track the WRs and TE, it should open up some running room at the secondary level. 

Dak will also have designed runs to keep the LBers on their toes. 

Defense:

As said previously, WSR is very strategical when it comes to his game planning. The area he would likely try to pepper is the LBing core that I put on the field last week in Josh Bynes and McMillan. Because of this, we are going in a completely different route this week. This week we will be employing a 3 safety nickel defense. Harrison Smith will move into the LB role, while Buddah Baker lines up at FS. Greenlaw draws the start after have a great game last week especially in pass coverage. In 2 TE sets, McMillan will start on Strong Side as an additional run stuffer at the LBing position (and TE2 coverage on passing down)

Henry and Ridley are WSR’s main threats on offense. McDonald, Lazard and Edleman (knee injury) can be good, but are far from elite playmakers. Our focus will be on neutralizing WSR’s main two threats. We will be playing a man-to-man defense again this week with Heyward and Clark bracketing Ridley, Griffen pulling Lazard and Moseley on Edleman. Griffen and Mosely will be applying bump and run coverage. Harrison Smith will cover McDonald, while Greenlaw will cover the RB. Baker will play single high to guard against the deep ball. 

We will also have our usual three man rotation at DE for our blitzes in Graham/Griffen/Addison. Allen and Hill will come in on obvious passing downs for pass rush.

Run Defense:

With Short out this week, and facing the likes of Derrick Henry, I will have two behemoths of men in the center of the o-line in Davon Hamilton (6’4, 327) and Danny Shelton (6’4, 344) to plug up the interior run lanes and slow down WSR’s running attack inside. Trysten Hill and Johnathan Allen will come in for obvious passing downs. The edge defenders in Graham and Griffen are solid against the run and will be tasked with not overpursuing so they are in the right positions. In 2 TE sets, McMillan will join Greenlaw and Smith at the LB level for an additional run defender off the edge.

• Like 1

Agreed with Ted on going light against a team with a powerful RB, but it's not a game ender for me. But the biggest discrepancy to me is the speed/skill combo of Hungary's receivers vs the corners of WSR. The blitz heavy scheme can probably have some success, but on the instances you don't get home I think Hungary's pass catchers have the ability to cause a ton of damage. I'm gonna go with the Hippos. 

57 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

Not fond of going light against Derrick Henry and WSR going blitz heavy and two deep safeties against a team with a mediocre OL that wants to beat them deep pays off here as Dak doesn't have time to find the right man. WSR 24 17

Ted, (and @Jlash) he is running a 2 TE and 3WR sets. 

In 2 TE you have 

A 4-3 defense with three safeties (2 of them being SS) on the field and only one of them being back. 

In 3WRs, the LBer comes off for the nickel which would be a 4-2-5

You can't stack a box in 3 wide without losing contain overtop or putting Ridley in single coverage all game, and I'm already bringing more people into the box on 2 TE.

• Like 1

Secondly he plans on overloading Donovan Smith's side of the ball. Donovan Smith isn't even playing.

Which means he is planning against Massie? Massie has literally turned around his career since is early days the past two seasons. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29939464/2020-nfl-pass-rushing-run-stopping-blocking-leaderboard-win-rate-rankings

He is the #1 Pass Blocking win rate in the NFL.

6 minutes ago, PR said:

Secondly he plans on overloading Donovan Smith's side of the ball. Donovan Smith isn't even playing.

Which means he is planning against Massie? Massie has literally turned around his career since is early days the past two seasons. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29939464/2020-nfl-pass-rushing-run-stopping-blocking-leaderboard-win-rate-rankings

He is the #1 Pass Blocking win rate in the NFL.

Which makes more sense overloading on your strength? To neutralize it across the board as he believes he can beat you with less on the other side? Can’t speak for him but that’s how I see it.

5 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Which makes more sense overloading on your strength? To neutralize it across the board as he believes he can beat you with less on the other side? Can’t speak for him but that’s how I see it.

He overloaded Smith which he perceives as a weakness, not a strength. He planned to attack the weakness and crash in that side of the line to not give Dak time. Not crash in a strong side of the line especially when neither of his starting rushers have a single sack in 2 games thus far.

Just now, PR said:

He overloaded Smith which he perceives as a weakness, not a strength. He planned to attack the weakness and crash in that side of the line to not give Dak time. Not crash in a strong side of the line especially when neither of his starting rushers have a single sack in 2 games thus far.

Didn’t read it yet just thinking out loud. 

2 minutes ago, PR said:

Also sacks aren’t the whole story with pressure you know that

Regards this what they have doneIn real wise the question is would they succeed against Donovan Smith overloading that side with the deep that say play on in BDL against your offense.

Furthermore why would I attack your strong side when the weakest link on your offensive line is Donovan Smith( who i had no way of knowing would be benched) which is the easiest route to the quarterback and to go even further Brunskill is the help Smith would get who has played pretty terrible for SF. That RT, RG combo would get eaten alive.

Also I get it, you didn't play Smith. Let's stop acting like Massie is a major upgrade. Even if slightly one, his whole night will be trying to cover the arse of Brunskill.

One more point while yes I am running to get a lot of 2 TE Sets I don't feel like Raekwon Mcmillan, who if we are bringing rl into this has 1 tackle this season, helps your case for stopping Henry l, in fact my 2 ILBs have the exact total tackles as your front 4 DL and McMillan combined if we are really going there. Also just because I'm going to use 3 wide receiver sets does not mean I'm taking Derrick Henry off of the field you already know I'm runnin a run heavy so it's fair to say there is going to be several times where out of 3 wide receiver sets I am running the ball with Derrick Henry against a very very light defense.

Edited by wwhickok
  • Like 1