Week 5 GDT: 49ers vs Colts, aka: our best shot to win a game?

Forge

12 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Looking at the next three games, you could just put down a L on those games. Only game we have a chance against is the Eagles if they have a bad game. Even then, it's only a slight chance. No chance we beat the Redskins and the Cowboys should beat us with little problem. So we are looking at a 0-8 start. Welp lol.

Definitely. I think the Dallas game is our best chance to be honest. But yeah, should definitely be 0-8

Yeah looks like next 3 will be tough might be able to take cardinals at home before giants but giants is our best shot for a win at this point especially with their injuries piling up. 

Saying that looks like browns will go qb at no 1 with way kizer has looked last couple of weeks. Game is abit too fast for him at this point shouldn't of started him right out the gate.

Yeah, our winnable games come after the Eagles game. Then we have the Cards/Giants/Bears in the next three out of four weeks. We close with the Rams, but before that with three consecutive games against the AFC South. And really, we should lose all those games as well. Looks like another 2-3 win season. 

Didn't see the game yet, but I'm stoked. F meaningless wins. This is the BEST possible outcome so far this season and I'm glad it's continuing. I hope we win just one game (don't want to go winless). Whether we get Cousins or not is irrelevant. I want that number one pick. And this team could easily be 4-1. That's the great news. They aren't getting blown out. I can't remember the last time I've been able to effectively "have my cake and eat it too" as a 49ers fan. 

12 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Didn't see the game yet, but I'm stoked. F meaningless wins. This is the BEST possible outcome so far this season and I'm glad it's continuing. I hope we win just one game (don't want to go winless). Whether we get Cousins or not is irrelevant. I want that number one pick. And this team could easily be 4-1. That's the great news. They aren't getting blown out. I can't remember the last time I've been able to effectively "have my cake and eat it too" as a 49ers fan. 

While I hate seeing us not being able to close out games and get some wins this is kind of my view point right now. We have been in every game, answered offensively when needed at times, have had our defense get some pressure and take aways when needed, seen young guys show up and produce at times. It's almost difficult to be disheartened up to this point in the season from what we've seen on the field. Could we clean up the play? Be a bit more effective on 3rd down? Get some more consistency out of certain players and positions? Execute better on the other teams side of the field? Sure, but I don't believe any one of us thought we were a team with playoff aspirations or a dark horse for anything. We will have 5 picks in the top 100 of this up coming draft, still a boat load of cap space to go after FAs and actually retain some of our teams talent and for the first time in 3 years, minus week 1 have been week in and week out competitive.

2 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

While I hate seeing us not being able to close out games and get some wins this is kind of my view point right now. We have been in every game, answered offensively when needed at times, have had our defense get some pressure and take aways when needed, seen young guys show up and produce at times. It's almost difficult to be disheartened up to this point in the season from what we've seen on the field. Could we clean up the play? Be a bit more effective on 3rd down? Get some more consistency out of certain players and positions? Execute better on the other teams side of the field? Sure, but I don't believe any one of us thought we were a team with playoff aspirations or a dark horse for anything. We will have 5 picks in the top 100 of this up coming draft, still a boat load of cap space to go after FAs and actually retain some of our teams talent and for the first time in 3 years, minus week 1 have been week in and week out competitive.

And this is what was lacking with Tomsula and Kelly's team's. Or maybe I should say Baalke's teams. This current team, although bad...you can tell that folks are on the same page. It's not a shotgun wedding. Lynch and Shanahan are on a course to get to point A to point B. They just need time to get better players. That fact that the team isn't a pushover in their first year with this little amount of talent is impressive. This is what you want a losing team to be. The games are at least watchable. I still haven't watched the game, but I'm excited to go back and watch it even already knowing the result. 

1 minute ago, Fureys49ers said:

Yeah, this kind of sucks...but on the flip side, I love that our guys are constantly fighting. That's probably the one thing that I've been most impressed with from our team this year. We are like a caged animal and we are just clawing and clawing at our opponents. I love that. We refuse to go down without a fight. That's so promising moving forward. Some of this stuff is hard to gauge because we don't know what kind of success we would have with a real quarterback. I have to imagine that our 3rd down effectiveness would go up with a better quarterback. The red zone warts are an issue - that may be a playcalling thing, and even Cousins isn't known as a great redzone guy the last year plus, so I'm hoping that we get that fixed through playcalling. Biggest things I want are less penalties, and some progression from the defense in finishing the pass rush and creating turnovers. The latter is huge to me. I'd settle for forcing fumbles, even if we don't recover them (fumble recoveries being highly variable as they are, I don't take a lot from the recovery part of them). 

Yep, the point differential usually tells a big part of the story. Even though we won five games with Tomsula, that was a garbage team. I think we had the worst or at least bottom 2-3 point differential in the league that year and the same goes for last season. This year we are still a bad team, but not terribly bad if that makes sense lol. 

47 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

I can't stand losing, and I can't root against the 49ers, so I'd much rather be 4-1 as my personal preference.

However, I thought 4 wins was our maximum possibility this year, so the losses aren't as upsetting as they were the last 3 years. And to your point, the team shows it has competitive heart and is competent to good in a lot of areas. Shanahan's offense is starting to show up more consistently (TDs are the problem, not moving the ball). The defense has been strong up front and good at limiting damage.

Really, a better QB could easily be the difference between 4-1 and 0-5. Hoyer was never going to be that. So having the #1 overall pick, a realistic chance at landing Cousins, and having an established competitive team is really the ideal way to enter 2018.

My only concern is that I don't know how the Giants get a win with OBJ gone. We'll allow subpar receivers to look great in that game thanks to our DB situations, but I don't know how we don't win that game or where the Giants can squeak out a win. For every game we win, the Giants need to win one. If we're tied, we'll be fine, as we will almost certainly end up with the strength of schedule tiebreaker as it goes to the team with the easier schedule but still sucked.

But, as it is, since Week 2, I've been happy about how we've kept the games close.

38 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

We will have 5 picks in the top 100 of this up coming draft,

Actually, through 5 games, it is going to be very hard to not have 5 of the top 75 picks. I don't see either Bears or 49ers picking outside of the top 10. So even better.

However, I am thinking/hoping we only end up with 4. There could be a definite trade up into the 1st possibility. 

Although, if we get a top 3 pick AND acquire Cousins, we may get more on a trade down as well.

17 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I can't stand losing, and I can't root against the 49ers, so I'd much rather be 4-1 as my personal preference.

However, I thought 4 wins was our maximum possibility this year, so the losses aren't as upsetting as they were the last 3 years. And to your point, the team shows it has competitive heart and is competent to good in a lot of areas. Shanahan's offense is starting to show up more consistently (TDs are the problem, not moving the ball). The defense has been strong up front and good at limiting damage.

Really, a better QB could easily be the difference between 4-1 and 0-5. Hoyer was never going to be that. So having the #1 overall pick, a realistic chance at landing Cousins, and having an established competitive team is really the ideal way to enter 2018.

My only concern is that I don't know how the Giants get a win with OBJ gone. We'll allow subpar receivers to look great in that game thanks to our DB situations, but I don't know how we don't win that game or where the Giants can squeak out a win. For every game we win, the Giants need to win one. If we're tied, we'll be fine, as we will almost certainly end up with the strength of schedule tiebreaker as it goes to the team with the easier schedule but still sucked.

But, as it is, since Week 2, I've been happy about how we've kept the games close.

Be honest, were you stoked after that week 17 win against the Rams two years ago that F'd up our draft position? :)

Anyways, I expect a diminished Eli without OBJ to still snag at least 4 wins this year. Their last three losses have been close. 

21 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Actually, through 5 games, it is going to be very hard to not have 5 of the top 75 picks. I don't see either Bears or 49ers picking outside of the top 10. So even better.

However, I am thinking/hoping we only end up with 4. There could be a definite trade up into the 1st possibility. 

Although, if we get a top 3 pick AND acquire Cousins, we may get more on a trade down as well.

Let's say we pick 3rd - not unreasonable. And let's say Darnold and Rosen are gone.  Maybe some like the Cardinals, maybe get desperate to pick up Allen or Rudolph. With a trade up for a QB at 3 we should be able to get a lot.  So how about we trade down from 3 to 7 or 8 and also pick up the 7th or 8th in the second round plus a first in 2019.  That would give us pick 7 o 8, three second round picks two of which will be just outside of the first round, plus two firsts in 2019.  Spend the money on Cousins and maybe one or two other stud FAs in addition to all those high picks and we ought to be right back in the thick of things in a couple of yearss.

Archived