Head Coaching/GM Candidates

lumberjackchris

The McNairs now need to open their checkbook for Eric Bieniemy when the season comes to a close.

Ian Rapoport mentioning that Josh McDaniels might be the guy because of the Easterby connection, but I really would not want that.

Edited by Marco79
  • Like 1

Some GM options

1. Mike Borgonzi, Director of Player Personnel, KC. Mike has been mentored by some of the best evaluators in the business and has extensive knowledge of putting together a winning team. He has experience in systems that fit our offense and has enough connections to be able to put together a legit coaching staff. He would be a first time GM.

2. Elliot Wolf, consultant for NE. At first glance I do not love this. I do not think he has the track record of success that we should be looking for. I do not know as much about him, so please fill me in.

3. Ed Dobbs has a great resume. He was a key cog in the Seattle run and is helping the Colts solidly their team. Rumor has it he is a little gun shy at running his own team, but there is no denying his previous experience As a talent evaluator.

4. Nick Caserio. We all know this guy. I am not a fan of this route.

5. George Paton, Vikings Assistant GM. He has experience, good and bad. He has helped put together a talented Vikings team. He seems patient, looking for a good job offer.

6. John Dorsey (could hire him now, he is unemployed). He has a lot of experience, seems to put together talented teams wherever he goes, but never keeps a job long. Personality issue?

22 minutes ago, Marco79 said:

The McNairs now need to open their checkbook for Eric Bieniemy when the season comes to a close.

Ian Rapoport mentioning that Josh McDaniels might be the guy because of the Easterby connection, but I really would not want that.

I kind of like McDaniels 😬😬😬

But he scares me after what he did in Denver 

4 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

I kind of like McDaniels 😬😬😬

But he scares me after what he did in Denver 

His only problem in Denver was his chasing after Matt Cassell which forced him to get rid of Cutler and draft Tebow. I wouldn’t mind having him with Watson already locked in at QB. 

We are gonna need to hire a good defensive coordinator. I think we should switch to a 4-3. We have the personnel for it. Cunningham can switch outside with McKinney in the middle. 

watt is probably on his way out but Omenihu and Greenard should both be able to play DE in a 4-3. Hall and Blacklock can play DT

doesnt fix our secondary but I’m not sure what will 

17 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

doesnt fix our secondary but I’m not sure what will

Development from both Reid's, Johnson... That bed has been made, no improving it right now.

It's probably top of mind in the '22 draft.

4 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

The official Texansfan713 wish list:

Clemson HC Dabo Swinney

Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy

Saints OC Pete Carmichael

Ravens OC Greg Roman

Panthers OC Joe Brady

Ooooooooo Brady tickles my fancy and could be the next McVay. 

Love what he did at LSU and is doing with TeddyB

Surprised nobody has mentioned 49ers DC Robert Saleh. He got his start in Houston and was with us from 2005-2010 as an assistant coach. What he's done in SF with that defense is damn impressive. With all that said, I want Bieniemy or Roman. Unlock Watson's potential and let's set NFL defenses on fire. 

• Like 1

Very luckily for us, even if we do what the Steelers did last year (well they will have done it better) and round off to a record around 7-9 SOMEHOW, I very much think that RAC's heart isn't in coaching anymore, he is 73 and he most likely would decline any chance to be a HC going into 2021. 

I think we'll genuinely have a new HC before the end of the season, going back to RAC but I don't think he has it in him to even coach an entire season, felt very sluggish last season and HC responsibilities are 10 fold what DC responsibilities are. I think the McNairs and Easterby probably collaborated to fire O'Brien too because they knew Quinn and Gase was going soon and they wanted a head start on potential future HC candidates like Saleh, Bieniemy and Roman. I know Easterby staying is a huge issue but he gave me a fired O'Brien so I am happy there and whatever GM he picks up will be 10x better than Bill O'Brien (I'd honestly take back Gaine at this point lol, he did have a good 2018 & 2019 draft) so that is good. I hope Caserio joins us, hate Belichick disciplines, I think for GM though he'll be perfect, seems to have a good eye for talent but negotiating contracts is the big if and that is the long road ahead of us. I'm sure Easterby noticed this too.

I like Robert Saleh the most, I think we need to move back to being more defensive minded and allow a legitimate OC to run our offense. Saleh got his start here in Houston too and I think he would be GREAT for Weaver's development as Weaver is the only member of this current coaching staff I'd consider keeping honestly. Get rid of everyone. OC choices I wouldn't know tbh, I don't follow football that hard to know all the up and coming OC candidates out of college or the QB coaches or WR coaches you would want to pinch from other teams. Maybe Tim Kelly secretly is a good OC he was just hindered by O'Brien's play calls, I don't want to see aggressive fighting in the trenches, I love the idea of using the run to open the pass, I hate the situations where we use the run and our team knows we don't have a Derrick Henry out there, we have a David Johnson. Tim Kelly hasn't impressed me so far but I definitely hope whatever HC we end up is creative and knows what it takes to win in this era of the NFL, he will recruit staff accordingly. I also like the idea of Bieniemy for the HC role too, loved by his locker room, Reid said he's ready but he is also a big question mark, I've read he doesn't call the plays, I've read he does call the plays, I've read he does scheme, he doesn't. Truth be told, it doesn't matter if he can call plays cause that should hopefully not be his job, his job is to help the person calling the plays to know they are calling the right plays and to help scheme a gameplan, if he is an big part of the Chiefs offense there then that is great.

The only one I've seeing that I don't like the idea of is Greg Roman. I feel like he can unlock parts of Deshaun that were locked away in terms of his scrambling ability, he's a very creative run caller, DJ would definitely have a 1,000 yard season with Greg Roman under the helm but he's a big reason why the Ravens are still stuck with zero playoff wins in the Lamar Jackson era, I've heard many Ravens fans say on Twitter, Reddit, here, Facebook, etc that he is super bland in his passing game and really predictable, elevated mainly by how good LJ is. Our issue rn is that our passing game is so bland, well so is our running game but our passing game is so bland I am done with how we execute it, Deshaun has been coached (sadly) into being a pocket passer who likes to scramble when its only necessary. We need to deal with that now and hire a coach who can help him achieve the MVP numbers he's possible of.

I think the hire we make is Josh McDaniels though. Seems like such a Texans move. Don't know if anyone watched the Pats game yesterday but he was running it on first down in the fourth with 6 minutes left. I realize slightly this is a very Belichick kind of a thing to do and probably why all his disciplines do it but at this point I'm so done with it. I'd probably put a bet on that on Draftkings or something if I had disposable income lol

I am Drained and this was my TedTalk (sorry its so long I just am very excited, ive really only known a season of kubes and 7 of bill)

Edited by Drained

17 hours ago, amazingandre said:

6. John Dorsey (could hire him now, he is unemployed). He has a lot of experience, seems to put together talented teams wherever he goes, but never keeps a job long. Personality issue?

Not personality issue, he's just really bad at hiring coaches, at least thats what happened in Cleveland it seems.

Just now, lumberjackchris said:

We’re not bringing in a defensive minded HC with Watson as the QB. They’ll hire an OC to become a first time HC and possibly keep Weaver as DC or the née HC will bring in a veteran DC probably with some HCing experience to help/mentor

im starting to think people overrating weaver.  whoever the new hc will be need to completely clean house and hire his own guys.