2021 NFL Draft Thread

I gotta be real UNC has been one of my favorite scouts this year looking ahead to not just this class but the next 2. But their RB paired with Gibson could really wreak havoc in 2 back sets. As would Gainwell from Memphis. I am completely cool with a Devonta Smith selection because of his projected dominance from not just outside but mainly what that guy would do to whoever lines up against him in the slot man there is a lot to love. I still hope that somehow we could double up Florida pass catchers and add a Toney and Pitts. But the Auburn WR Williams is a dog!!! That guy runs super crisp routes in and out of breaks and can go up and snag passes he would be another great option as well

• Like 3

If we wind up winning the division and picking in the late teens or early twenties... it is going to be interesting to see what we do. Because honestly we still have a lot of needs, which gives us flexibility to go BPA and still fill a need. I really want a play making linebacker. I feel that behind this defensive line, a stud linebacker can put us at the top defense in the league. I don’t think we pick QB in round 1 if we make playoffs this year. 

Edited by Umbaugh21
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Umbaugh21 said:

If we wind up winning the division and picking in the late teens or early twenties... it is going to be interesting to see what we do. Because honestly we still have a lot of needs, which gives us flexibility to go BPA and still fill a need. I really want a play making linebacker. I feel that behind this defensive line, a stud linebacker can put us at the top defense in the league. I don’t think we pick QB in round 1 if we make playoffs this year. 

There's a chance that Dylan Moses from Alabama will still be available if we pick 18th and Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah (Notre Dame). Also while there isn't a top 10 safety in this draft there are three that could go late 1st. Parris Ford (Pittsburgh), Trevor Moehring (TCU) and Andre Cisco (Syracuse). Any of those players on our defense would be good IMO, but if we don't retain Darby and Moreau or sign a replacement should we lose one of them, there's a chance we could go CB in round 1 too. This is all of course if we don't take an offensive player, which arguably we could use more such as a WR but, I just hope we take BPA again. Any position BPA for me except DL & RB.

I tell you there’s a LB on Georgia ST defense Hayward JR he’s number 37. I don’t have his first name though it might be Victor but don’t hold me too that. I’ve watched him a lot I think he’s got some real tools to grow. If you look at his numbers their slightly pedestrian but this guy is a thumper with speed and when you watch the game he’s into a lot more then his numbers indicate. More of a late round UDFA type but the 3 times I watched him live he stood out. I’m not saying no Kam Curl flyer but he has some juice. I also don’t think he’s behind the best DL so he’s constantly fighting off blocks but his pursuit and he swims through the pile very well. Almost how Navarro used to swim through the scrum when he’s was running guys down the LOS. By no means am I comparing him to Bowman lol. Just had that feel watching him

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

There's a chance that Dylan Moses from Alabama will still be available if we pick 18th and Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah (Notre Dame). Also while there isn't a top 10 safety in this draft there are three that could go late 1st. Parris Ford (Pittsburgh), Trevor Moehring (TCU) and Andre Cisco (Syracuse). Any of those players on our defense would be good IMO, but if we don't retain Darby and Moreau or sign a replacement should we lose one of them, there's a chance we could go CB in round 1 too. This is all of course if we don't take an offensive player, which arguably we could use more such as a WR but, I just hope we take BPA again. Any position BPA for me except DL & RB.

Holland, Oregon
caleb Sturns Texas is another super talented guy. Though he’s a liability in coverage that guy has some Keanu Neal in him

On 12/16/2020 at 11:45 AM, ripsean21 said:

Holland, Oregon
caleb Sturns Texas is another super talented guy. Though he’s a liability in coverage that guy has some Keanu Neal in him

Yeah, i forgot about Holland. I hear you on Sterns, but I’m becoming weary of safeties who aren’t at least good in coverage in today’s NFL where passing has taken prominence over rushing for most teams. I think definitely in the first 2 or even 3 rounds I’d rather take a safety who is at least average in coverage. If they’re not, I’d rather them be a dime LB or a WLB if they’re able to handle that role as a starter.

Edited by turtle28

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, i forgot about Holland. I hear you on Sturns, but I’m becoming weary of safeties who aren’t at least good in coverage in today’s NFL where passing has taken prominence over rushing for most teams. I think definitely in the first 2 or even 3 rounds I’d rather take a safety who is at least average in coverage. If they’re not, I’d rather them be a dime LB or a WLB if they’re able to handle that role as a starter.

I agree I just mentioned him because I think his size and speed will get him drafted high. He’s great for the fact teams are realizing they can pound these finesse defenses. So guys like Sterns where they are basically a smaller LB/ SS are becoming popular because they can hold up against the run and they do cover better then the 250 plus LB’s. But what teams need for Sterns to be effective are Bigger down lineman to eat blockers so they can attack the ball. I think with coaching he can improve coverage it’s not that he doesn’t cover well he’s just clearly not comfortable when he’s 1-1

• Like 1

On 12/16/2020 at 9:33 AM, ripsean21 said:

But the Auburn WR Williams is a dog!!! That guy runs super crisp routes in and out of breaks and can go up and snag passes he would be another great option as well

I agree with you on the last part, the guy is a terror on back shoulder throws and contested catches. I actually don’t love his routes, though I haven’t really watched him much this year, and I think he’s more bark than bite when it comes to being a dog — he talks when he wins, but I don’t see him playing with force unless he thinks the ball might be coming to him. 

He actually reminds me of Gandy-Golden. Big, solid athlete. Absolutely snatches the ball when it gets near the mitts, loves the contested catch stuff. Not a ton of burst, not really refined, more just overwhelming guys. 

A big receiver I’ve been watching lately and kinda like is Erik Ezukanma from Texas Tech. He’s got great size, but he also has a little snap to his routes that you don’t often see from 6’3 and 220 pounds. Pretty impressive hands catcher too. I don’t know much about his status (think he’s a RS sophomore), but he’s a guy I see on a big upward trajectory. 

• Like 2

We've talked about Darrisaw a bunch, so I won't harp on him.

Bias pick, but if Bryce Love is never going to make it, I'd like to look at the Hokies Khalil Herbert, RB. That well has done decent for us.

He could be a compliment to Gibson's downs, and he's not useless as a pass catching back. He's also a guy that could do at LEAST kickoff returns. He's well rounded, if he doesn't excel at anything. I don't have a GREAT comparison off hand, but I'd say Devin Singletary. My guess is he runs in the 4.5 range, and could be had with our 6th rounder.

Other to note:

James Mitchell, TE - If he declares, he is an interesting prospect. Good size and speed - 6'3"ish, around 250. Probably runs 4.6 range. What you all won't like as much is his blocking. It needs work. That said, he's been working on it a lot in 2020. This is a weaker TE class in the sense that I don't think there's four dozen round 3-5 guys like we had last year. Could be a good idea for him to come out. My guess, if he declares and has a good combine, would be the 5th round range.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

We've talked about Darrisaw a bunch, so I won't harp on him.

Bias pick, but if Bryce Love is never going to make it, I'd like to look at the Hokies Khalil Herbert, RB. That well has done decent for us.

He could be a compliment to Gibson's downs, and he's not useless as a pass catching back. He's also a guy that could do at LEAST kickoff returns. He's well rounded, if he doesn't excel at anything. I don't have a GREAT comparison off hand, but I'd say Devin Singletary. My guess is he runs in the 4.5 range, and could be had with our 6th rounder.

Other to note:

James Mitchell, TE - If he declares, he is an interesting prospect. Good size and speed - 6'3"ish, around 250. Probably runs 4.6 range. What you all won't like as much is his blocking. It needs work. That said, he's been working on it a lot in 2020. This is a weaker TE class in the sense that I don't think there's four dozen round 3-5 guys like we had last year. Could be a good idea for him to come out. My guess, if he declares and has a good combine, would be the 5th round range.

Love it! Great suggestions MikeT

18 hours ago, e16bball said:

I agree with you on the last part, the guy is a terror on back shoulder throws and contested catches. I actually don’t love his routes, though I haven’t really watched him much this year, and I think he’s more bark than bite when it comes to being a dog — he talks when he wins, but I don’t see him playing with force unless he thinks the ball might be coming to him. 

He actually reminds me of Gandy-Golden. Big, solid athlete. Absolutely snatches the ball when it gets near the mitts, loves the contested catch stuff. Not a ton of burst, not really refined, more just overwhelming guys. 

A big receiver I’ve been watching lately and kinda like is Erik Ezukanma from Texas Tech. He’s got great size, but he also has a little snap to his routes that you don’t often see from 6’3 and 220 pounds. Pretty impressive hands catcher too. I don’t know much about his status (think he’s a RS sophomore), but he’s a guy I see on a big upward trajectory. 

See I know there are times his routes get lazy a lot of time it seems like option routes where he’s thinking about what to do instead of reacting like he does when he’s in the red zone digging in and out of the breaks. In the league when he runs the routes hard that he knows are going elsewhere is when this guy will compliment a #1 and have a huge impact. He def has two speeds and I think that gets worked out in the league when you can’t get reps in practice unless your digging in every rep. I just think he needs to be with a staff that can push him and a good locker room with and established #1. We have that. But I agree he is very similar to AGG. I just think there’s a chance we can steal him with a mid rounder and we get great value on investment

2 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

See I know there are times his routes get lazy a lot of time it seems like option routes where he’s thinking about what to do instead of reacting like he does when he’s in the red zone digging in and out of the breaks. In the league when he runs the routes hard that he knows are going elsewhere is when this guy will compliment a #1 and have a huge impact. He def has two speeds and I think that gets worked out in the league when you can’t get reps in practice unless your digging in every rep. I just think he needs to be with a staff that can push him and a good locker room with and established #1. We have that. But I agree he is very similar to AGG. I just think there’s a chance we can steal him with a mid rounder and we get great value on investment

Are you talking about Seth Williams, the Auburn WR? 

I like Anthony Schwartz, their smaller WR who runs better routes and seems like the type of guy who will get open often and have an impact because his route running and quickness will make him more consistent.

And, Maybe I’m wrong about this, but I don’t remember a Gus Malzan WR becoming a good WR in the NFL. I’m not sure that his receivers get developed well in that offense and so what they did in college never translates to the pros.

Perfect example is Sammie Coates, I liked him coming out and the Steelers drafted him but, while he flashed some his first few years he just never developed. Now, that’s not saying that this kid definitely won’t make it but the fact that no one makes it to the pros as a WR from that Gus Malzan offense has to be a red flag for me and it should be for everyone.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Are you talking about Seth Williams, the Auburn WR? 

I like Anthony Schwartz, their smaller WR who runs better routes and seems like the type of guy who will get open often and have an impact because his route running and quickness will make him more consistent.

And, Maybe I’m wrong about this, but I don’t remember a Gus Malzan WR becoming a good WR in the NFL. I’m not sure that his receivers get developed well in that offense and so what they did in college never translates to the pros.

Perfect example is Sammie Coates, I liked him coming out and the Steelers drafted him but, while he flashed some his first few years he just never developed. Now, that’s not saying that this kid definitely won’t make it but the fact that no one makes it to the pros as a WR from that Gus Malzan offense has to be a red flag for me and it should be for everyone.

Yeah. Schwartz is a good player!! I just think Williams has a lot of growth left in his game when I see him I think he ends up being a steal in a system on the outside opposite of a number one. I could see him fitting what this staff seems to be looking for with Cam Simms and AGG. The round I think he gets selected in I think is worth the flier. Especially if we haven’t seen AGG in action come the draft

to your last point I understand that and def associate my projections around that but I really think this guy has the toolbox. Some players are worth a gamble and it’s not really about production. It’s about saying For our team we have this and that and this coach would really improve this and that aspect of his game. Remember Terry’s knock coming out was route running and consistent hands because he was primarily a deep threat. This guy needs to improve his routes but what I’ve seen in situations on tape is he clearly has the ability. You add a promising QB to our team and this guy improves his few things and he’s a foreal number two for years to come. It’s not about what a player is now it’s about what you believe you can coach him into if he has the mental makeup you want to add to the locker room.

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Yeah. Schwartz is a good player!! I just think Williams has a lot of growth left in his game when I see him I think he ends up being a steal in a system on the outside opposite of a number one. I could see him fitting what this staff seems to be looking for with Cam Simms and AGG. The round I think he gets selected in I think is worth the flier. Especially if we haven’t seen AGG in action come the draft

to your last point I understand that and def associate my projections around that but I really think this guy has the toolbox. Some players are worth a gamble and it’s not really about production. It’s about saying For our team we have this and that and this coach would really improve this and that aspect of his game. Remember Terry’s knock coming out was route running and consistent hands because he was primarily a deep threat. This guy needs to improve his routes but what I’ve seen in situations on tape is he clearly has the ability. You add a promising QB to our team and this guy improves his few things and he’s a foreal number two for years to come. It’s not about what a player is now it’s about what you believe you can coach him into if he has the mental makeup you want to add to the locker room.

Terry's knock coming out was route running? Honestly, I don't remember that but that draft I was really busy with work and I didn't do as much research to what others were saying about prospects. I remember people questioning Terry being a one year wonder, because up until that junior season he hadn't done much for the Buckeyes. Well, whoever said that wasn't watching Ohio State games enough because it was clear from the Ohio State games that he was a great route runner.

Either way, doesn't matter now. Terry has proved all the doubters wrong, as have DK Metcalf and AJ Brown. Looking back on that draft, it's amazing that these 3 didn't go in the first round, they definitely had the talent to, each of them just had some questions to their game. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Terry's knock coming out was route running? Honestly, I don't remember that but that draft I was really busy with work and I didn't do as much research to what others were saying about prospects. I remember people questioning Terry being a one year wonder, because up until that junior season he hadn't done much for the Buckeyes. Well, whoever said that wasn't watching Ohio State games enough because it was clear from the Ohio State games that he was a great route runner.

Either way, doesn't matter now. Terry has proved all the doubters wrong, as have DK Metcalf and AJ Brown. Looking back on that draft, it's amazing that these 3 didn't go in the first round, they definitely had the talent to, each of them just had some questions to their game. 

Oh exactly. I mean idk how you run slants, Screens and go’s bad ***** it was a knock and I mean honestly every prospect has lazy tape idc who it is not every day is your best day. What I tend to hold my hat on is the person their working against and as the game goes along do they demonstrate certain things. And then I just reference growth or noticeable effort or even a refined ability twards those traits as they play other games and season to season and so forth. Consistency is amazing but not every prospect has a first round team around them which is why you get these guys later simply because their numbers aren’t up to par with other guys at better programs but they flash on tape.
The reason I enjoy my highlight work is because play to play being someone who still actively plays I like to really see how often I can guess what route release how many steps into their break or cut just off how they line up. Pre snap says a lot about what a WR and DB’s are doing same with TE’s and Edge rushers. Patterns are awesome but it’s also how you can grade if a player is improving their study of themselves which means their putting in extra work. If you can’t interview you have to go off tendencies in their game. It’s why a bad stat line doesn’t carry much weight with me. Plays get called back. Balls aren’t there or a player falls there’s so many things. I’ve really just focused my breakdowns on what I see they can or don’t do well and really translate it to our coaches and their strengths. 
That’s why I mentioned Williams because I feel like he and AGG have similar things they needed to refine and those things our WR coaches in the last 3 years I’d say have shown from what I saw in college there’s noticeable upgrade at this level.

• Like 1