2021 NFL Draft Thread

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I’m still hoping Lance or Wilson (not likely) fall far enough to where we can trade up for one of them. Nothing crazy, wouldn’t part with a first but we have to get a young QB. 

They're not worth trading up for. I don't think we should overdraft them just because they play quarterback. We should take the best player available when we pick.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

They're not worth trading up for. I don't think we should overdraft them just because they play quarterback. We should take the best player available when we pick.

I mean, we don’t know what they’re worth honestly? I won’t be heartbroken if we don’t pick one. I’d like to get a LT badly though. 

11 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I mean, we don’t know what they’re worth honestly? I won’t be heartbroken if we don’t pick one. I’d like to get a LT badly though. 

Well that's definitely true. I just don't like the idea of trading up unless its for a great QB prospect and while I think Lance and Wilson are good QB prospects, I don't think they are worth trading up for. As of right now I'd put them in the category of if they fall to us at 18 or wherever we end up picking in the teens and they're the BPA's, then take them. If they don't then oh well, we can always draft someone next year or maybe next year the Jets and Jags will still be awful and will want to trade back and we can trade up for the best QB or 2nd best QB in the draft like the Eagles and Rams did back in 2016.

I really just want the BPA - other than DL or taking a RB in round 1 - that certainly could be a LT or it could be a WR, TE like Pitts, Guard like Wyatt Davis, a LB like Dylan Moses, a FS like Parris Ford, or a CB should we lose Darby and Moreau in free agency.

Just now, turtle28 said:

Well that's definitely true. I just don't like the idea of trading up unless its for a great QB prospect and while I think Lance and Wilson are good QB prospects, I don't think they are worth trading up for. As of right now I'd put them in the category of if they fall to us at 18 or wherever we end up picking in the teens and they're the BPA's, then take them. If they don't then oh well, we can always draft someone next year or maybe next year the Jets and Jags will still be awful and will want to trade back and we can trade up for the best QB or 2nd best QB in the draft like the Eagles and Rams did back in 2016.

I really just want the BPA - other than DL or taking a RB in round 1 - that certainly could be a LT or it could be a WR, TE like Pitts, Guard like Wyatt Davis, a LB like Dylan Moses, a FS like Parris Ford, or a CB should we lose Darby and Moreau in free agency.

I feel like we’ve played our way out of the elite prospects. I’ve started paying more attention to Darrisaw and I like Leatherwood a lot. Pitts won’t be there but Moses most likely will so he could be an option. I’ve just started to really focus on OTs. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I feel like we’ve played our way out of the elite prospects. I’ve started paying more attention to Darrisaw and I like Leatherwood a lot. Pitts won’t be there but Moses most likely will so he could be an option. I’ve just started to really focus on OTs. 

I guess we’ve probably played our way out of the elite prospects, but we are in the range of getting a very good prospect and probably a day one starter unless we sign or already have someone who beats our rookie out in that position.

We’re in the range of getting a Da’Ron Payne or Jon Allen type prospect, a guy who’s going to come in be good even as a rookie but probably not make a lot of huge huge plays.

There are OTs as you said who could come in, I too would love to get Leatherwood and I definitely think he’d be a day one starter over Lucas or Christian at LT. It’d be awesome to get him at 18 if we end up picking there.

I definitely think if we drafted Dylan Moses that he’ll be a day one starter at either MLB or WLB for us as a rookie - hopefully MLB and then we move Landon Collins to WLB like I’ve been wanting to do since February and then have Holcomb start at SLB.

Also don’t sleep on Parris Ford or Jevon Holland as FS prospects, they really could come in and make an impact as a rookie.

And, as you know there are several WRs we could take in the teens who will come in and start over Cam Sims or be our slot WR over Wright/S.Sims.

• DeVonta Smith is projected to go in the teens mostly bc of his size I think, other than that he has it all and I’d love to get him to go opposite Terry

• Rashod Bateman from the University of Minnesota is a very good prospect and would complement Terry’s skill well as he’s more of a big possession WR.

And while I wouldn’t love it bc I really don’t want to draft another player coming off an injury, Jaylen Waddle is also projected to go in the teens.

Edited by turtle28

17 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

But I agree he is very similar to AGG. I just think there’s a chance we can steal him with a mid rounder and we get great value on investment

I think someone will definitely take a shot on him in that range, value-wise. 

For WFT, I personally not so much looking for size or contested catch ability in a prospect. We have three young guys on the roster already whose best traits are pretty much exactly that (Harmon, AGG, C. Sims). In fairness, I don’t value size in WRs as much as most people do, because I’m just a sucker for what speed and quickness can do in the modern game where they can’t put their hands on you. But regardless, I think we’ve got a nice stockpile of young big-bodied receivers. 

What I’m looking for is (shocker) quickness and speed, the ability to separate consistently and create the risk of YAC and big plays. What has really changed the nature of this offense over the last two seasons has been the addition of two guys in McLaurin and Gibson who change the game and the way teams have to defend us with their sub-4.4 speed. I want more of that, at least one other receiver who can be a threat to break one at any time. 

I love Waddle at 19 if he’s there. I love Rondale Moore in the 2nd if he’s there (or if we trade down, which I think might end up being wise at 19). And today I’ve been watching another guy who I really like in Amon-Ra St. Brown. 

I don't think he appears to have the really crazy high-end speed, but he does have a lot of quickness and he separates well, especially at the top of routes. I actually think he’ll be even more effective at the NFL level in that respect, as guys really tend to get their hands on him and be physical with him to take advantage of his slighter build under the more lax college DPI rules. The top reason I love watching him, though? Watch this kid block. It’s the damnedest thing I’ve ever seen. He’s giving up 20, 30, 50 pounds to some of these guys he’s blocking, but he’s on them like a rabid animal 😂 You‘ll need to clean some of it up to get him to be a little more consistent and efficient with his blocking, but the effort is A++. Overall, he’s got a little Tyler Boyd in him for me. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, e16bball said:

I think someone will definitely take a shot on him in that range, value-wise. 

For WFT, I personally not so much looking for size or contested catch ability in a prospect. We have three young guys on the roster already whose best traits are pretty much exactly that (Harmon, AGG, C. Sims). In fairness, I don’t value size in WRs as much as most people do, because I’m just a sucker for what speed and quickness can do in the modern game where they can’t put their hands on you. But regardless, I think we’ve got a nice stockpile of young big-bodied receivers. 

What I’m looking for is (shocker) quickness and speed, the ability to separate consistently and create the risk of YAC and big plays. What has really changed the nature of this offense over the last two seasons has been the addition of two guys in McLaurin and Gibson who change the game and the way teams have to defend us with their sub-4.4 speed. I want more of that, at least one other receiver who can be a threat to break one at any time. 

I love Waddle at 19 if he’s there. I love Rondale Moore in the 2nd if he’s there (or if we trade down, which I think might end up being wise at 19). And today I’ve been watching another guy who I really like in Amon-Ra St. Brown. 

I don't think he appears to have the really crazy high-end speed, but he does have a lot of quickness and he separates well, especially at the top of routes. I actually think he’ll be even more effective at the NFL level in that respect, as guys really tend to get their hands on him and be physical with him to take advantage of his slighter build under the more lax college DPI rules. The top reason I love watching him, though? Watch this kid block. It’s the damnedest thing I’ve ever seen. He’s giving up 20, 30, 50 pounds to some of these guys he’s blocking, but he’s on them like a rabid animal 😂 You‘ll need to clean some of it up to get him to be a little more consistent and efficient with his blocking, but the effort is A++. Overall, he’s got a little Tyler Boyd in him for me. 

One Hundred Sgn GIF by SomeGoodNews

On another note, serious question, should the PAC 12 be considered a Power 5 Football Conference anymore? What the hell did I just watch in the PAC 12 Championship game? This conference is not good right now and really it hasn't been good since Mariota was at Oregon. Sure, Oregon was better last year than this year and Herbert was awesome but the conference just isn't that good. I really wish BYU would join the PAC 12 and I've always been an advocate for Boise St. joining the conference as well or the Big 12 and I pray for the day that Nebraska leaves the Big 10 and goes back home to the Big 12 while WVU leaves the Big 12 and joins the Big 10, those moves make too much sense to me and have for as long as the current Power 5 conferences were formed.

Edited by turtle28

7 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

One Hundred Sgn GIF by SomeGoodNews

On another note, serious question, should the PAC 12 be considered a Power 5 Football Conference anymore? What the hell did I just watch in the PAC 12 Championship game? This conference is not good right now and really it hasn't been good since Mariota was at Oregon. Sure, Oregon was better last year than this year and Herbert was awesome but the conference just isn't that good. I really wish BYU would join the PAC 12 and I've always been an advocate for Boise St. joining the conference as well and I pray for the day that Nebraska leaves the Big 10 and goes back home to the Big 12 while WVU leaves the Big 12 and joins the Big 10, those moves make too much sense to me and have for as long as the current Power 5 conferences were formed.

Not a good game. Definitely not a good conference at the moment. 

Slovis got exposed today, and has a little bit all season. I could probably throw for 2000 yards with Pittman, St. Brown, Vaughns, and Drake London as weapons at my disposal. To me, he’s another of these powerhouse school QBs who has a half-dozen awesome players to spread the ball around to, and I just don’t see his numbers as indicative of the talent there. 

I’m not sure what they can do with the Pac 12 at this point. Honestly, if it weren’t for Clemson, we’d probably talk about the ACC in much the same way, though. If USC (or some other school) can re-emerge as a true juggernaut, that would go a long way toward repairing the perception. Because for now, it’s just a bunch of okay teams and somebody has to emerge at the end as the “champion.”

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

Not a good game. Definitely not a good conference at the moment. 

Slovis got exposed today, and has a little bit all season. I could probably throw for 2000 yards with Pittman, St. Brown, Vaughns, and Drake London as weapons at my disposal. To me, he’s another of these powerhouse school QBs who has a half-dozen awesome players to spread the ball around to, and I just don’t see his numbers as indicative of the talent there. 

I’m not sure what they can do with the Pac 12 at this point. Honestly, if it weren’t for Clemson, we’d probably talk about the ACC in much the same way, though. If USC (or some other school) can re-emerge as a true juggernaut, that would go a long way toward repairing the perception. Because for now, it’s just a bunch of okay teams and somebody has to emerge at the end as the “champion.”

True about the ACC too. I don't know if Notre Dame will stay in the ACC, but if they do, that would really help the conference. Also, with Mack Brown back at UNC that really has helped that program rebuild and that's helped the conference, their offense is electric. Miami also had a much better year this year and I can't imagine FSU staying down forever or VA Tech. All in all, this really wasn't a bad year for the ACC, but they certainly aren't on the level they used to be when FSU was awesome under Jimbo Fischer and Clemson was an up and comer 5/6 years ago and playing great too. I don't see them in as bad of a rut as the PAC 12.

25 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

We will see if this continues in the second half. I’m not entirely sure Fields is the #2 pick. 

I’m with you, I also don’t think he’s being helped out by the play calling. Northwestern’s offensive play calling and game planning is way advanced vs Ohio State’s. Ryan Day is getting out coached. There’s no moving Fields around so he’s not a sitting duck vs the blitz in the pocket, most of the passing attempts are more downfield and out breaking routes. I just don’t get it.

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I’m with you, I also don’t think he’s being helped out by the play calling. Northwestern’s offensive play calling and game planning is way advanced vs Ohio State’s. Ryan Day is getting out coached. There’s no moving Fields around so he’s not a sitting duck vs the blitz in the pocket, most of the passing attempts are more downfield and out breaking routes. I just don’t get it.

It's a good point. Playcalling has been pretty poor as well.