2021 NFL Draft Thread

3 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Pretty Impressive!

My man! I’d love to get him if Pitts, Devonta Smith or Waddle aren’t available when we pick.

He reminds me of Earl Thomas. If he was 2 inches taller and 10-20 pounds heavier he’d be considered a top 10 pick.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 2

On 12/19/2020 at 4:45 PM, turtle28 said:

The only thing I worry about with him is going to the freakin Jets! I hope they don't ruin him how they ruined Darnold.

Amazing what 24 hours difference makes. Now the Jaguars can ruin him!

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Depends on who their next HC is, hopefully they hire a good Oc like Bienemy.

That will be the most lucrative destination in NFL history.... the amount of draft capital and youth on existing roster is amazing. They will have the pick of the litter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/smu-mustangs/2020/12/18/you-have-to-keep-fighting-after-questionable-cfp-rankings-aac-making-best-case-yet-for-revamped-playoff-system/

Cincy is yet another reason why I keep saying that the FBS playoffs have been...and continue to be...a joke to me. I understand @Woz argument and I certainly understand such a playoff would lean more heavily to the P5 teams. But to eliminate a team like Cincy from the "4 team" dog and pony show is ridiculous. I'd much rather see a 16 team or 24 team playoff and let the P5 and top G5 teams have at it.

As I said when I wrote it, I'm not in favor of it, but understand why it continues.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

8 is still too small. It's a cute "playoff" to me. Make it 16. There's gotta be more than just 1 or 2 G5 teams that are worthy if people look past the biases and the flaws in the ranking system.

Ten champions plus six at-large(*)? That would make the most sense. Of course, no byes for any of the teams, but that is probably for the best.

Kind of feel bad for the G5 champions that are almost assuredly going to be forced to go on the road every year.

(*) No, Notre Dame, unless you give up your independent status you can only qualify via at-large method. Same with you, BYU; of course, you have a MUCH harder time of getting an at-large bid.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

Ten champions plus six at-large(*)? That would make the most sense. Of course, no byes for any of the teams, but that is probably for the best.

Kind of feel bad for the G5 champions that are almost assuredly going to be forced to go on the road every year.

(*) No, Notre Dame, unless you give up your independent status you can only qualify via at-large method. Same with you, BYU; of course, you have a MUCH harder time of getting an at-large bid.

If I'm them, I take it. Right now, they have ZERO chance because they aren't even invited to play. And BTW - IIRC the last bunch of bowls the G5 has beaten P5 teams more often than not. Just think what happens when some of these G5 teams pull a 2004 JMU and in on the road and go deep one year. And show up year after year as legitimate playoff teams. I think at that point, you'll see things change in terms of the P5 power and the scheduling. 

Of course, that is exactly what the Alabama's and Clemson's of college football DON'T want to happen.

4 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

If I'm them, I take it. Right now, they have ZERO chance because they aren't even invited to play.

Again, I'm not sure the G5 conferences want to risk destabilizing the entire bowl structure. Yes, getting a team into the playoffs would be nice (two would be super extra special), but if that's all you get, and they don't go very far, how do you divvy up the pie for the other 10-12 teams in the conference? What do they do for the lost bowl revenue?

And BTW - IIRC the last bunch of bowls the G5 has beaten P5 teams more often than not.

In part due to the proliferation of bowls and the conference tie ins. So, a #2 C-USA gets to face a #7 ACC or Pac-12 ... in other words, a good-to-great "smaller" team versus a meh "big" team. Yeah, seeing the "upset" isn't that surprising.

Of course, you don't see a #2 ACC vs. a #2 C-USA since the #2 ACC team is going somewhere to face the #3 Big Ten or SEC. The deck is stacked.

Just think what happens when some of these G5 teams pull a 2004 JMU and in on the road and go deep one year.

Again, if it's a 11-1 or 12-1 conference champion Memphis or Appalachian State, I don't think it would be that surprising. Maybe a 8-5 FAU that surprises said Memphis that does it all? Sure that's a worthy story.

But that's going to be a very limited opportunity.

And show up year after year as legitimate playoff teams.

You mean like Boise State?

That's gotten them, where exactly?

I think at that point, you'll see things change in terms of the P5 power and the scheduling. 

How exactly?

The scheduling is almost entirely in the power conferences control. They've scheduled out of conference games out 6 or 7 years now to get those "marquee" matchups. Sure, they'll play an Old Dominion or someone as a tune up (and yes, occasionally end up with massive egg on their face when they get upset) as a pair of home games along with an away game (which will have a buy out clause).

In fact, if it goes to a seeded tournament, the power conferences will have less incentive to play the top G5 schools. Why help the likely champions get a better seed? If Virginia Tech schedules Iowa for a home-and-home, that makes sense for both teams. Iowa might in turn schedule a Memphis (due to the requirement that the Big Ten has levied of their own accord to only schedule I-A schools ... something that financially hurt I-AA schools), but what's the upside? Iowa wins and everyone is "yawn;" everyone loses and Iowa has to do some serious damage control for their program. Note that Memphis being quality doesn't really come into the equation.

One other thing:

Of course, that is exactly what the Alabama's and Clemson's of college football DON'T want to happen.

Honestly, I don't think Alabama or Clemson would care. They're amongst the pinnacle of teams. If they have to face a Memphis on their turf, so be it.

The mid-tier/hope-to-get-lucky teams in the Power 5 conferences? They would be less enthused.

2 hours ago, Woz said:

One other thing:

Honestly, I don't think Alabama or Clemson would care. They're amongst the pinnacle of teams. If they have to face a Memphis on their turf, so be it.

The mid-tier/hope-to-get-lucky teams in the Power 5 conferences? They would be less enthused.

Until they lose to one of them

If you’re the Jets do you trade down, pass on Fields and continue to build around Darnold? Or would you hit the reset button.

There will be teams who want to trade up for Fields. 

They could trade down with Dallas or Carolina pick up an extra 2nd and future picks while then securing Jamar Chase, Micah Parsons or Gregory Rousseau.

Dallas is in a good spot here. They’re in the range to trade up if the Jets want to trade down and pass on Fields while collecting other picks and future picks, or Dallas can just stay put and take Zach Wilson and let Dak walk. It’s not what I would do, I’d continue to build around Dak but, Dallas could do that. 

Dak as a free agent will have options obviously. We could sign him, the Patriots could sign him. The 49ers could/IMO should move on from Garapolo and sign Dak, leaving Garapolo to return to the Patriots & for Bill to get the QB back that he wanted to keep 3 years ago while moving on from Brady then. 

That leaves  Cam Newton to be available for Rivera/us should Rivera want to go that route. The question then is what would we do with Alex if he still wants to play? I guess he’s trade able even if it’s for just a late round pick. The Broncos could sign Dak even though I’d still build around Drew Lock and the Raiders could move on from Carr and sign Dak.  I’d continue to build around Carr, but not keeping car and moving on to another QB is definitely the Jon Gruden thing to do, that guy goes through QBs usually like I go through underwear.

The Bears could sign Dak for sure, adding him to that offense and then with that defense they’d have a Super Bowl Contender. If Brees retires - and he should after this latest awful injury - then Dak can go to the Saints and they’d remain a contender.

Edited by turtle28

8 hours ago, Woz said:

Again, I'm not sure the G5 conferences want to risk destabilizing the entire bowl structure. Yes, getting a team into the playoffs would be nice (two would be super extra special), but if that's all you get, and they don't go very far, how do you divvy up the pie for the other 10-12 teams in the conference? What do they do for the lost bowl revenue?

I think we're far afield from the original intent of the thread, so I'll drop it after this.

You don't have to get rid of the bowls at all. In FCS, the Celebration Bowl happens regardless if one of the HBCUs goes to the FCS playoffs or not. Same with the bowls. They can still happen and the conferences can still get paid.

In part due to the proliferation of bowls and the conference tie ins. So, a #2 C-USA gets to face a #7 ACC or Pac-12 ... in other words, a good-to-great "smaller" team versus a meh "big" team. Yeah, seeing the "upset" isn't that surprising.

Of course, you don't see a #2 ACC vs. a #2 C-USA since the #2 ACC team is going somewhere to face the #3 Big Ten or SEC. The deck is stacked.

The point is that the G5 isn't a bunch of D3 schools. Is their top tier the same as top of P5? No. Not yet. 

Again, if it's a 11-1 or 12-1 conference champion Memphis or Appalachian State, I don't think it would be that surprising. Maybe a 8-5 FAU that surprises said Memphis that does it all? Sure that's a worthy story.

But that's going to be a very limited opportunity.

And again, you don't think Cincy would like a shot this year?

You mean like Boise State?

That's gotten them, where exactly?

More teams that Boise St. showing up is what I'm referring to. One team here and there is not going to push the needle too much. G5 teams knocking off P5 teams in the playoffs will.

How exactly?

Well, for one. Recruits want to go where they will be on a bigger stage but also where they can start quicker in order to showcase talent. It's why you see 3 and 4 star recruits forego FBS for FCS schools (starting sooner and playing for championship).

The scheduling is almost entirely in the power conferences control. They've scheduled out of conference games out 6 or 7 years now to get those "marquee" matchups. Sure, they'll play an Old Dominion or someone as a tune up (and yes, occasionally end up with massive egg on their face when they get upset) as a pair of home games along with an away game (which will have a buy out clause). 

In fact, if it goes to a seeded tournament, the power conferences will have less incentive to play the top G5 schools. Why help the likely champions get a better seed? If Virginia Tech schedules Iowa for a home-and-home, that makes sense for both teams. Iowa might in turn schedule a Memphis (due to the requirement that the Big Ten has levied of their own accord to only schedule I-A schools ... something that financially hurt I-AA schools), but what's the upside? Iowa wins and everyone is "yawn;" everyone loses and Iowa has to do some serious damage control for their program. Note that Memphis being quality doesn't really come into the equation.

My point is that as G5 teams make more noise in the playoffs and show that they belong, they will grab better recruits. Which affects the talent level at the P5 (fewer top recruits at the P5 as the talent pool expands outward). Right now, the best a recruit for a G5 school can be given is "maybe we might play in the Charmin Toilet Bowl and people will watch it at 2am in late December". If I'm the recruit, I'd rather have that option PLUS the option to play for a Natty AND more likely to start right away.

BTW - I'm not talking short term just 6-7 years down the road, I'm looking 10-20 years later where the stranglehold at the top gets eliminated. And in my vision, that is why the very top teams don't want this to happen. It's all a cartel designed to maintain their hegemony over D1. And anything that threatens it, they need to squash.