The Technology Thread

UKTexans

16 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

anyone have any good recommendations for a minimalistic wallet?

I can't recommend these types enough. Not this exact one but I can hold 10 cards with ease. I used to have one with a medal cash clip but the elastic band is 100% better.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-ridge-wallet-aluminum-cash-strap-gunmetal/6562657.p?skuId=6562657&extStoreId=266&utm_source=feed&ref=212&loc=20265459052&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAp5qsBhAPEiwAP0qeJujZANYV2ExVU4X-DaVzcGacm4j9j582gc5qG_AueMg604_5h750pBoCzGAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

24 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

damn that's a nice wallet I ended up going with the solax beechwood it has the clip though. I was gonna get the solax pink one for $11 it's similar to what you posted but 1/7th the price.

20 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

anyone have any good recommendations for a minimalistic wallet?

Ridge are awesome and it's easily the best I've ever owned. However, I got mine before the company blew up in popularity and increased their prices by 200%. That same wallet on Best buy for $75 I got 7 years ago for like $25-$30 when they were just a small company lol 

I lost my wallet and when I went to replace it I saw Ridge more than doubled in price so I don't own one anymore 😞 If you found something similar for cheaper than its definitely worth it.

Edited by AkronsWitness

17 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Ridge are awesome and it's easily the best I've ever owned. However, I got mine before the company blew up in popularity and increased their prices by 200%. That same wallet on Best buy for $75 I got 7 years ago for like $25-$30 when they were just a small company lol 

I lost my wallet and when I went to replace it I saw Ridge more than doubled in price so I don't own one anymore 😞 If you found something similar for cheaper than its definitely worth it.

I found one with similar features that's $30 I could of got a metal one same brand pink for $11 I was legit really considering it lol. 63% off just bc it's pink lol.

36 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I found one with similar features that's $30 I could of got a metal one same brand pink for $11 I was legit really considering it lol. 63% off just bc it's pink lol.

Yeah that's crazy just because of color haha Can you link me to the one you found that's $30 because now I'm interested if it's similar to Ridge at that price lol

11 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yeah that's crazy just because of color haha Can you link me to the one you found that's $30 because now I'm interested if it's similar to Ridge at that price lol

Sorax Minimalist Slim Wallet for Men - Carbon Fiber Wallets For Men RFID Blocking - Credit Card Holder with Aluminum Money Clip https://a.co/d/dxK6SIm

pink one is 10.95 crazy. Other than the clip it looks the same to me.

Edited by thebestever6
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, adamq said:

I use my phone case. The ottor box strata series is what I used for years, but they don't make them for my newest phone so I found one on Amazon that I like even better. 3 credit card slots (holds 6 cards easily) and a large pocket for receipts/cash. Added bonus is the flip over style case that has saved my screens from breaking multiple times.  Tucch is the brand of this one

These always just seemed like such a horrendous idea to me.

I feel like they're designed for women who don't have real pockets.  Which is understandable.  But if you're got real pockets...

Why would you not just stratify Wallet/Phone/Keys across three different pockets?  Heck sometimes i'll even throw cash in a 4th pocket just because i can.

Lose one or get one lifted, it's a major nuissance.  Get two lost, it's pretty darn bad.  Three is basically just, your life is over.  Just makes sense to spread things around so even if something bad happens or you lose track of something...you've still got other tools of society to work with.

I'm also a frequent public transit enjoyer though.  Also just strolls in new places enthusiast.  I just make sure to try to protect myself.  Because the system is still very broken.

But i'm also just someone who often carries my phone around in my hand instead of trying to fish it in and out of my pocket sometimes.  One of the best parts of transit tbh.  You can just screw around and do whatever you want until you get where you're going.  But just flashing around a phone wallet in your hand just seems like a bait for real unscrupulous or unfortunately desperate people with nothing to lose.  Not always even thinking rationally about things.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tugboat said:

feel like they're designed for women who don't have real pockets.  Which is understandable.  But if you're got real pockets

I actually wear basketball shorts a good 80% of the time when the weather allows, so generally I don't have real pockets. I also live in a town where the population is ~2500, and the big city we do our shopping in has about 15,000 so that kind of crime is never something I've worried about.

And the biggest upside of the all in one package is, it's nearly impossible for me to lose or forget. I only ever have to worry about my phone and keys, anything else I'd need is in my car or wife's purse 😂

2 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I'm also a frequent public transit enjoyer though.  Also just strolls in new places enthusiast.  I just make sure to try to protect myself.  Because the system is still very broken.

Yep we are in two different worlds when it comes to this.. the only public transportation I've used in my life is the Union Station trolley in Kansas City when we visit my sister 😛

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wallet update I returned the wallet I bought last month there was a crack in the wood where the screws were so I was worried about the long term viability of it.

I just purchased the code118 last night it has a life time warranty, is made of aerospace grade aluminum, and my favorite feature it has a little button that fans up the 7 cards at the touch of a button. Has a cash strap instead of a money clip but for $30 you can't beat the quality. 

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, D82 said:

Looking for a good external HD - any recommendations?

Seagate, Western Digital.  Samsung for SSDs, which i'd recommend for most things anyway.

Depends a little bit on what you're wanting to do with it though.

9 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Seagate, Western Digital.  Samsung for SSDs, which i'd recommend for most things anyway.

Depends a little bit on what you're wanting to do with it though.

Planning on storing scanned documents and videos on it.