Texans GM Search

amazingandre

I'm usually pretty dialed in to this side of the biz, but gotta admit I'm not as well versed as usual as I'm just coming out of my self-imposed exile from the O'Brien regime of terror.  I'll throw my boy Jeff Ireland's (Saints #2) name into the ring as by far the most qualified and successful GM candidate out there, but unfortunately the overblown Dez Bryant crack ho mom stuff makes him a bad fit perceptually for this franchise.  As a reminder, Dez's upbringing and family issues (it also wasn't a slur - his mom was actually a crack ho) were absolutely a factor in his truncated career and unfulfilled potential, so I will always maintain that this was a Dallas reporter hit job that coincided with Dolphins fans misdirected anger at crappy ownership that has become clear after a decade of irrelevance while the Saints have been killing it. 

Personally, I think we are way past the Casserly , Ron Wolf, Bobby Beathred type era of GM''s as omnipotent bosses as coaches are the leaders of franchises and the best GM's are the ones who have scouting expertise, player trust, and a voice strong enough to offer a dissenting opinion when coaches are making short-sighted or emotional decisions.  While we are saying the right things about hiring a GM before a coach, the reality is that while an independent voice is preferred, it's the pairing with the Head Coach that will matter most.    

22 hours ago, Apollo Stallion said:

I'm usually pretty dialed in to this side of the biz, but gotta admit I'm not as well versed as usual as I'm just coming out of my self-imposed exile from the O'Brien regime of terror.  I'll throw my boy Jeff Ireland's (Saints #2) name into the ring as by far the most qualified and successful GM candidate out there, but unfortunately the overblown Dez Bryant crack ho mom stuff makes him a bad fit perceptually for this franchise.  As a reminder, Dez's upbringing and family issues (it also wasn't a slur - his mom was actually a crack ho) were absolutely a factor in his truncated career and unfulfilled potential, so I will always maintain that this was a Dallas reporter hit job that coincided with Dolphins fans misdirected anger at crappy ownership that has become clear after a decade of irrelevance while the Saints have been killing it. 

Personally, I think we are way past the Casserly , Ron Wolf, Bobby Beathred type era of GM''s as omnipotent bosses as coaches are the leaders of franchises and the best GM's are the ones who have scouting expertise, player trust, and a voice strong enough to offer a dissenting opinion when coaches are making short-sighted or emotional decisions.  While we are saying the right things about hiring a GM before a coach, the reality is that while an independent voice is preferred, it's the pairing with the Head Coach that will matter most.    

I could potentially see Ireland if we were able to snag Pete Carmichael too. Otherwise, who would we pair him with?

I like Adam Peters from SF, especially if Kelly lights it up and we keep him as OC, then we could grab Robert Saleh as HC.

Mike Borgonzi is the best and logical choice if we are going with Bieniemy as HC. 

I like the track record of John Dorsey and Scott Pioli, but not sure I want a retread as GM. 

Joe Horitz would be the guy if we prefer Greg Roman. 

I think we are actually in a good position trying to pair a GM with a HC this season. There are a few real solid options. 

Just now, Texansfan713 said:

that would be interesting.  tbh i think he would fit better in baseball than football with his analytics.

I don't think we've seen a fully embraced take on analytics in the NFL yet (not from the player/personnel perspective at least).

Much like how Morey was a leap in how people though about basketball, I think he'd build up a nice analytics department that would start drawing up some "new normals" to rely on.

I'd give it a look-see at the least.

• Like 1

Even without a real GM, I’ve read that we might try and trade some of our defensive players before the deadline. 

names mentioned were Mercilius, Cunningham, Roby and even cooks. 

im onboard with any of those, as long as we aren’t stuck flipping the bill in the salary cap. We can replace Mercilius with Greenard, Roby with Reid. Cunningham can be replaced by the waterboy. Cooks can be replaced by Carter or Coutee. 

it becomes an open try out for next years team, and we can probably add a few 3rd-6th round picks. 

I might would consider trading Watt if A. He agreed, B. It was to a legit contender, and C. We got a 1st round pick. 

3 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Even without a real GM, I’ve read that we might try and trade some of our defensive players before the deadline. 

names mentioned were Mercilius, Cunningham, Roby and even cooks. 

im onboard with any of those, as long as we aren’t stuck flipping the bill in the salary cap. We can replace Mercilius with Greenard, Roby with Reid. Cunningham can be replaced by the waterboy. Cooks can be replaced by Carter or Coutee. 

it becomes an open try out for next years team, and we can probably add a few 3rd-6th round picks. 

I might would consider trading Watt if A. He agreed, B. It was to a legit contender, and C. We got a 1st round pick. 

Cunningham would be $6M in dead cap this year; I don't see him getting moved - esp. after he showed up in last game

I could see the others - esp Mercillus.

It depends on this / TN game... as long as we are in the hunt for division championship / playoffs, don't see major deals

That being said... I have been wrong many, MANY, MANY times before... lol

3 hours ago, jch1911 said:

Cunningham would be $6M in dead cap this year; I don't see him getting moved - esp. after he showed up in last game

I could see the others - esp Mercillus.

It depends on this / TN game... as long as we are in the hunt for division championship / playoffs, don't see major deals

That being said... I have been wrong many, MANY, MANY times before... lol

fire sell should begin now....give Watt to the highest bidder....give mercilus and roby to anyone that will take them. Blacklock, Greenard, and Reid should be starting after the bye week

16 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

fire sell should begin now....give Watt to the highest bidder....give mercilus and roby to anyone that will take them. Blacklock, Greenard, and Reid should be starting after the bye week

Sentimentally, I can't trade Watt. But, I understand if you can get a haul for him, do so.

On 10/19/2020 at 7:45 AM, ET80 said:

Sentimentally, I can't trade Watt. But, I understand if you can get a haul for him, do so.

I'm reversing course on this. Watt doesn't want to be here anymore. Not because he doesn't love the city, the fans or his teammates - he hates we're not in a position to win games. 

Get him to a contender, then get the statue commissioned.

• 2 weeks later...

(Post Jags game) If not already done, I would put claims in on:

G/C Stefen Wisniewski (waived by PIT) Senio Kelemete to IR

Sign RB D'Onta Foreman (off TN practice squad) David Johnson to IR

Sign Htown native OL Willie Wright (off ATL practice squad) cut Cornell Armstrong; re-sign him to practice squad