Valkyrie Mafia: D8 Ends Saturday at 10 PM EST

The Orca

14 minutes ago, Blue said:

Oh, nobody covers Japanese internment before college, if ever.

Teacher: "Oh Germany bad because holocaust"

Teacher: "Yes, we threw Japanese in camps"

Me, a jew: "Uh wat"?

Teacher: "Moving on"!

14 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Really? I spend a full day or 2 on this. It’s an Ohio standard here.

I'm sure you can probably(hopefully) attest.. But 1 hour isn't enough for that lol

1 minute ago, SwAg said:

Whatever, FDR is a boss.  He had the big balls we need.

Yeah, I agree. That's why he's still number one. And on a topic we've covered before, I think the worst president is James Buchanan. Like bro, just deal with slavery now! Don't make it worse!

Just now, MWil23 said:

10/10 😂 

Which of the four times?

Really any of them. He's one of my favorite political figures of American history. He's like the 90s Bills. I read a great book about him over the summer that just further solidified how much I like him.

Just now, Glen said:

I'm sure you can probably(hopefully) attest.. But 1 hour isn't enough for that lol

As @rackcs said, it’s my job to equip the students to think for themselves and develop the appropriate arsenal of tools for their cognitive lives.

I mean, I have to cover reconstruction through 9/11 in 9 months. So, 145 years in 9 months, a day for a “single event” is a lot.

Granted, I took an entire college course on civil war and reconstruction, another on the US Civil Rights movement, etc. Expecting HS teachers to be the ultimate source of information on this means we have lost sight as a society of what we are here for. It’s my job to create informed thinkers who can have the tools, basics, and other information necessary to do their due diligence.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rackcs said:

Really any of them. He's one of my favorite political figures of American history. He's like the 90s Bills. I read a great book about him over the summer that just further solidified how much I like him.

Ah, good old Populists! I also love silver.

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

As @rackcs said, it’s my job to equip the students to think for themselves and develop the appropriate arsenal of tools for their cognitive lives.

I mean, I have to cover reconstruction through 9/11 in 9 months. So, 145 years in 9 months, a day for a “single event” is a lot.

Granted, I took an entire college course on civil war and reconstruction, another on the US Civil Rights movement, etc. Expecting HS teachers to be the ultimate source of information on this means we have lost sight as a society of what we are here for. It’s my job to create informed thinkers who can have the tools, basics, and other information necessary to do their due diligence.

I don't disagree with your ideology that HS teachers are there to help students become more rational/informative thinkers.

I just don't care for the idea(not yours of course, the Americanized school system we have) that our atrocities deserve/are given less coverage than the atrocities of other nations.