NCAA Basketball Thread: '21-22

NYRaider

4 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Houston getting a week to prepare for that zone is huge. Cannot stress that enough. Houston shouldn't have that shocked look on there face like WV did. 

Yeah, I think Houston wins that game. They'll need a big game from Grimes but as you said they have a week to prepare for Syracuse's zone and Houston averaged almost 2 more made 3P FG per game than WVU this year. 

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah, I think Houston wins that game. They'll need a big game from Grimes but as you said they have a week to prepare for Syracuse's zone and Houston averaged almost 2 more made 3P FG per game than WVU this year. 

Offensive rebounding %:  Houston rank 1st at 39.9%

Defensive rebounding %:  Syracuse rank 331st at 68.3%

18 hours ago, squire12 said:

Offensive rebounding %:  Houston rank 1st at 39.9%

Defensive rebounding %:  Syracuse rank 331st at 68.3%

also its no way in the world syracuse continues this 3 point shooting.  Houston is one of the best defenses in the nation at defending the 3 ball. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

1st round pick, smart move. 

For sure. I'm hoping for a mass exodus tbqh. If Roy's not going to retire, then I hope he flames out. Will be forever grateful for what he brought to the program and the 3 Natty's but it's getting to that point where it's time to move on.

2 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Shaka Smart leaving Texas for Marquette... lol What an odd decision 

He was probably going to get fired either way so he's jumping the gun and leaving on his own accord.

Since Shaka arrived at Texas his recruiting classes have ranked: #6 in 2016, #6 in 2017, #8 in 2018, #17 in 2019, and #101 in 2020 (but he only signed 1 player and it was the #9 recruit). Despite all of his recruiting success in his 6 years at Texas he never won more than 21 games in a season, he had a 52-56 record in the Big 12, and he never won an NCAA tournament game. I mean even looking back to his VCU days in the 10 years since his Final 4 run he has only won 2 tournament games and none of his teams have made it past the first weekend of the tournament. 

Rick Barnes made the NCAA tournament 16/17 years he was at Texas and they went 186-94 in conference games. 

Texas has basically endless resources so I expect them to pursue a big name candidate. Chris Beard or Kelvin Sampson would both make sense as they've had a ton of success at smaller programs in the state of Texas. But Beard is currently making $6M and Sampson is currently making $3M so they'd have to back up the brink truck to hire either one of those guys. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Shaka Smart leaving Texas for Marquette... lol What an odd decision 

Maybe he felt writing was on the wall for him to get canned? Or maybe he’s just a real dude and realized he was not gonna succeed at Texas.

Has to be one of the most underachieving programs over the past 5 years when you look at their recruiting classes. 6, 6, 8, 17, Greg Brown

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

But I'm sure @beekay414 will be happy about this hire. He should be able to get their program back on track. 

He's from Wisconsin so this makes all the sense in the world. Think Marquette will be a better program than Wisconsin in no time. That's how low I am on Greg Gard.