Boston Celtics Thread

Deadpulse

12 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

You'd think you'd have to include Brown, but after what Houston got for Harden...

Smart, Thompson, whatever young player Washington likes most, and a bunch of 1sts and swaps.

In that scenario, does Beal play the point? Or do you move Tatum to the 4 and pull a veteran guard from FA?

2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

In that scenario, does Beal play the point? Or do you move Tatum to the 4 and pull a veteran guard from FA?

Package young players/draft assets to bring back Rondo or go after someone like Dragic, Rose, or Mills in free agency. 

3 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I had thought bringing back Terry Rozier wouldnt be a terrible plan either. 

It wouldn't be but he's more of a scoring guard than a PG and it'd be tougher to match his $17M cap hit if you were also making a move for Beal. Rondo was hardly in the Clippers playoff rotation and it looks like they want to bring back Reggie Jackson, plus Beverly will be back as well. 

Even though he's older now I think a Rondo reunion would make sense if you were to land Beal. He only has 1 yr/$7M left on his deal, obviously has ties to Boston, and would bring championship experience to the group. His minutes have decreased but he has still averaged 9+ assists per 36 over the last couple of seasons and is still a decent defender. 

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

It wouldn't be but he's more of a scoring guard than a PG and it'd be tougher to match his $17M cap hit if you were also making a move for Beal. Rondo was hardly in the Clippers playoff rotation and it looks like they want to bring back Reggie Jackson, plus Beverly will be back as well. 

Even though he's older now I think a Rondo reunion would make sense if you were to land Beal. He only has 1 yr/$7M left on his deal, obviously has ties to Boston, and would bring championship experience to the group. His minutes have decreased but he has still averaged 9+ assists per 36 over the last couple of seasons and is still a decent defender. 

Wouldnt hate a Rondo Reunion. There would need to be a lot of veteran depth at the position though. If Beal, Brown, and Tatum are the core though, you really don't need longevity at other positions. 

4 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Wouldnt hate a Rondo Reunion. There would need to be a lot of veteran depth at the position though. If Beal, Brown, and Tatum are the core though, you really don't need longevity at other positions. 

Assuming the package would be Marcus Smart, Aaron Nesmith, Romeo Langford, Tristian Thompson, and Grant Williams, I think a Rondo reunion would make sense. You'd have almost zero depth at that point but I think you'd be able to attract some ring chasers. 

Rondo - Beal - Brown - Tatum - Horford 

That'd only leave you Williams, Parker, Pritchard, and Brown off the bench though. 

12 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Assuming the package would be Marcus Smart, Aaron Nesmith, Romeo Langford, Tristian Thompson, and Grant Williams, I think a Rondo reunion would make sense. You'd have almost zero depth at that point but I think you'd be able to attract some ring chasers. 

Rondo - Beal - Brown - Tatum - Horford 

That'd only leave you Williams, Parker, Pritchard, and Brown off the bench though. 

Pritchard is a strong enough ball handler I would trust him to be the primary backup off the bench to Rondo. I would want scoring wing depth more than anything in that scenario. 

16 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Pritchard is a strong enough ball handler I would trust him to be the primary backup off the bench to Rondo. I would want scoring wing depth more than anything in that scenario. 

tenor.gif?itemid=14179737

Ring chasers assemble. 

In this scenario guys like Carmelo Anthony, Austin Rivers, Lou Williams, Rudy Gay, and Goran Dragic would all be logic fits as vets that can score and likely willing to take a min deal to get a ring. 

So so far: 

Bruno Fernando , Kris Dunn, and a 2023 second round pick after only giving up Tristan Thompson? Whilst picking up a $9+ million dollar trade exception in the process and utilizing the $5 million dollar one that is set to expire this weekend from the Enes Kanter trade last season? 

I can not understate this: MAJOR UPGRADE.

Then you add on top of it ANOTHER veteran with a defensive presence and tools offensively to go with good athleticism that you literally got for nothing in a cash dump by the Mavs in Josh Richardson...?

MAJOR UPGRADE. No more Semi in the rotation? No more Grant Williams? A healthy Romeo Langford back? An improving lottery pick in Aaron Nesmith? I like the wings and guard A LOT better already.

The Celtics got addition by subtraction with Kemba gone. The money freed up, the defensive improvement by default, and then the depth added in return with Moses Brown and Al Horford is a masterpiece.

The Celtics roster is exponentially better than it was before Ainge left. Thank Heavens.

They could enter the season right now and are superior to anything we have seen constructed since the IT/Olynyk/Jae Crowder years when the C's were a cohesive, smart, competitive, resilient, defensive, well-rounded, exciting, fresh, and mentally tough team.

I still expect that we all expect more to be done and players added in free agency. I still wouldn't mind seeing Marcus Smart moved, but it isn't a major necessity now that there is so much less to ask of him offensively.

I am not opposed to trying to acquire Damien Lillard however I am not a huge proponent of giving up what it would take to get him. - specifically Jaylen Brown. I am contnent with rolling with Brown but am not opposed to moving him later this or in the future if a star that fits becomes available and isn't a one/two year vet rental on the decline. Kawhi Leonard if he wanted to join and commit for the rest of his career would be one player worth it to me for example. Highly improbably but an example of the high standards it would take to move on from Brown who is at the highest value of his career right now.

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Exponentially?  Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

What moves have they even made? They've acquired Kris Dunn, Josh Richardson, and Al Horford?

When you're relying on solid rotation minutes from Semi Ojeleye and Grant Williams, those guys are a massive upgrade.