Week 7 - GDT - Panthers (3-3) @ Saints (3-2)

Mid Iowa

This is a big game for many reasons.
I could throw out the obvious, like the Bridgewater return to the Bayou, or the return of Michael Thomas, but that's kinda boring.

Or we could dig a bit deeper and talk about Sean Payton's record coming out of the bye week (7-3) or the fact that if the Saints win, they'll be in 1st place in the division...at least until we know the final of the Sunday Night game between the Buccs and the Raiders (which should be a really fun game to watch), but that's the easy stuff.

So the obvious is the Saints are barely above .500. The losses are not overly typical, yet always disappointing (Raiders 3-2, with losses to the Patriots (2-3) and the Bills (4-2) - and the Packers 4-1, with 1 sole loss to the Buccs (4-2) just last week) and I know we'd all like to have had those 2 losses to do over again with a healthy team, but that's just silly, wishful thinking.

If...I stress if, our defensive secondary can compliment the front 7 for a change, and if Brees can find his comfort zone early in the game (like he used to), then we're sitting pretty.

We all know Bridgewater doesn't like pressure, and won't throw a guy open, but if he's comfortable, he'll carve up our secondary. 

So what's the Panther's defense going to do to stop Brees + Thomas + Sanders + Cook? Or Kamara + Murray + Hill? That's a bite to chew.

This is possibly for the division lead. Thoughts?

I should throw out there, our victories are about as "ho hum" as our losses. First the Buccs (4-2) with all new offensive chemistry. I guarantee our next meeting with them in November won't be easy. Brady and Ariens have that offense looking good. Then the Lions (2-3) a team lacking an apparent identity in a crazy, should-have-been blowout with 35 unanswered points,  and finally last week over the Chargers (1-4) and their rookie QB. This game should not have gone to overtime, and we're lucky to have pulled out the W. 

So, our losses are to good teams with a combined 7-4 record, and our wins over 1 good team, and 2 garbage teams with combined 7-9 records.

Where am I going with this:
Payton has tried to run the ball more. Even when he probably shouldn't be, he's trying it. He started 7-8 run vs. pass in the 1st Qtr. against the Chargers, but didn't get much. This has failed to opened up the game for Brees and Co., and then Payton abandons the run. In fact, it has forced Brees to do what he's always been good at, freaking out and making things happen. Last week Emanual Sanders had a career high 12 receptions, gaining 122 yards. This was NOT because of 24 rushing attempts (25 if you count Brees's over-the-top touchdown dive), of which 7 came in the 1st Qtr, this was because Brees finally got comfortable.

I hope we see more comfortable Brees, and I hope our running game can afford us to become more balanced again. Of course, maybe I should be pointing at our swiss cheese defense to take the pressure off Brees, I don't know...

Our losses are against two really good teams.  Raiders beat the Chiefs, and Packers were hot to start the year.  Our wins are decent against the Bucs, Chargers, and Lions.  Lions are bad as always, but Chargers are much better than their record indicates, and I see them upsetting a few teams later in the season.

We haven’t been clicking in peak form on offense, and defense is probably underperforming.  If we can straighten those things up I see us being able to go on a decent run.  At the end of the day, we’re 3-2 without having played a complete game yet.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fray32 said:

so Bucs get Antonio Brown and we're down to Trequan Smith as our top receiver for this week 😴 Not that I even want Brown tbh but damn

Thomas out again?  I really screwed up taking him with my first pick in fantasy :(

1 hour ago, Jlowe22 said:

Receiver depth has been a problem for years.  We finally sign a guy like Sanders and now Thomas misses half the season.  

At least Smith is finally starting to show something.  Also this upcoming draft has quite a few good WRs in it so that might be another option as well.  Maybe another Ohio State guy like Chris Olave even.

• Like 1