Jump to content

2020 Week #8 GDT Steelers at Ravens


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

What would beating the Ravens be without Harbaugh crying about something after the fact?

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/11/john-harbaugh-complains-about-lack-of-answers-about-time-contact-on-final-play-of-game/

Great coach. Biggest...ahem...whiner...in the league.

Minkah was going for the INT, and as was pointed out , the shoulder hit the head. It wasn't a tackle. Harbaugh is wrong about all this, could be emotional or is he like that? Too bad if he is, but it adds to the rivalry, which once again is getting intense since the teams are good again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Yeah, D looked different after Judon got ejected. Allowed you guys to double Yannick and Ben had time to pick us a part and do what he wanted. Fair play to you guys. 

injuries were brutal, but that has been all to common this year, just terrible.   I haven't been into a game like this in years, what a game.  I thought the ravens kept Ben under control for a good part of the game, I thought the run game would have been used more but not so, just enough I suppose.  The rematch will be a game to watch, I expect a lower scoring game next time, maybe some snow as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CKSteeler said:

What would beating the Ravens be without Harbaugh crying about something after the fact?

https://steelersdepot.com/2020/11/john-harbaugh-complains-about-lack-of-answers-about-time-contact-on-final-play-of-game/

Great coach. Biggest...ahem...whiner...in the league.

but should they have put more time on the clock since there was an injury?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 3rivers said:

but should they have put more time on the clock since there was an injury?

I mean, they blew the whistle and called the TO right around the time Baltimore got to the line, so no. Baltimore didn't lose any time as a result of Heyward's injury so no time should go back on the clock.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

I mean, they blew the whistle and called the TO right around the time Baltimore got to the line, so no. Baltimore didn't lose any time as a result of Heyward's injury so no time should go back on the clock.

I would have to watch it again, but I thought there were about 10 seconds questionably lost, romo comments perhaps is what I was hearing.  

nobody has the 5 up 5 down yet, everyone still processing this game 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still very confused about the issues with officiating late in that game. I just don't get it. I mean, I never really understand issues with officiating in 95% of the calls - I cringe anytime refs are listed as a down - but the stuff from yesterday wasn't hard to understand. 

Why should the Ravens benefit from the Heyward injury? Remove him from the situation. The ravens run to the line snap it at 8, spike it, and start the next play at 7. Why does an injury to Heyward get you more time then you would have had? If anything, you benefited from the Steelers having to use a timeout, getting extra time to call your play, and not wasting a down (that probably doesn't matter anyway). I just fail to see how the Heyward injury means you get 3, 4, 5 more seconds. If Heyward wasn't hurt, you get 8 seconds. That's it. That's the end of it. Its not a situation where you got to the line and they let 4 seconds tick away to check on Heyward. You ran to the line, the ref looked around and saw Heyward down, they blew the play dead. I would just need to have it explained to me why you get more time. If you did, Vrable will be teaching his OL to kick all the DL in the shines before running downfield in those scenarios to grab a few more seconds. 

You don't want to only have 8 seconds left? Get out of bounds or keep your time outs. You don't want to have contact in the endzone? Don't throw a 50/50 into double coverage at a better athlete. You don't want the clock to roll on your player whose forward momentum stopped headed towards the sideline? Don't throw it to him inside the numbers. You don't want pass interference called? Don't have your hands on guys down the field with the ball coming. 

This stuff isn't hard to me. But officiating is and the are actually pretty darn good. Even the Heyward play, which I don't believe was a penalty. Don't want to get that penalty that extends what should have been a 3 and out? Don't hit a wrapped up guy that close to the sideline. 

I don't know man. That's my vent. The hatred of officiating is exhausting and stupid when its not officiating that's getting worse, it the way we view replays that is getting better. More people need to officiate in life. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

For all the Ravens fans crying about officiating, 

ElyvFQqWkAAnnR2?format=jpg&name=900x900

That was called Roughing the passer last season. The ball is right above #73's head. You can tell because right behind/next to him our defender (looks like Cam/#97) has his arm up him the air to attempt to deflect the pass which would ultimately fall incomplete on 4th down. He had released the ball at the same time Ola hit him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Dcash4 while I do agree with a majority of your post; I disagree about the part of the Heyward unnecessary roughness. I do thing Romo (much later) hit the nail on the head that it was more an attempt to not let the game get out of control. But guys hitting an already wrapped up player is common. And he was still in bounds and trying to fight for yards. Calling a play like that causes the defense to slow down along the sidelines, which spells danger with a QB like Lamar, and there were a few edge runs by him you could tell the defense was thinking about. 
 

I also don’t like that Judon was ejected for what he was ejected for but there was nothing about coming over and hitting Diontae Johnson the way he did. The offsetting felt weak, especially with refs right there seeing pushing, then two headbutts from Peters, Diontae getting in Peters face, then Judon coming out of nowhere to take DJ into the Ravens bench. While in the end things may have “sorted out” correctly, the process of getting there was weak. 
 

The NFL certainly needs to look at some of these things (IMO) and come up with a bit of a middle ground. Because in the end I look at it this way: Heyward was penalized 15yards for hitting a guy during the play in bounds, Judon was not penalized for hitting a guy after a play was over. 
 

There should be a 5-yard penalty for what Heyward did, Peters should have lost the Ravens field position for two acts vs one act, Judon should have been penalized for his hit on DJ. It can be true that the reffing wasn’t bad because technically it was correct, but was not good because it didn’t truly assess the severity of the penalties. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, warfelg said:

while I do agree with a majority of your post; I disagree about the part of the Heyward unnecessary roughness. I do thing Romo (much later) hit the nail on the head that it was more an attempt to not let the game get out of control. But guys hitting an already wrapped up player is common. And he was still in bounds and trying to fight for yards. Calling a play like that causes the defense to slow down along the sidelines, which spells danger with a QB like Lamar, and there were a few edge runs by him you could tell the defense was thinking about. 

I totally agree that it is not a penalty, but we get the luxury of watching it 7 times in slow motion and reacting later. Refs make a call on a field with players going 100 MPH and things happening in an instant. Watching the live play, yeah its in the realm of possibility that that penalty gets called - whether that's ultimately right or wrong. Lamar is wrapped, 5 yards short of a first, and he stands up straight wrapping his second arm around the football and is accepting going out of bounds with the officially right in front of him to see that. Cam smacks him, but at that point the ref is done with the play. 

Right or wrong of the call doesn't matter to me at that point -- its in the realm of possibility and that's when I stop caring about a "these refs suck" narrative (not saying you are saying that in this instance). They are not going to be perfect and get every little detail right because its impossible to do so. You don't wanna be called for something - don't do something that could be called. 

Again, I agree its not a penalty - and this is why I wish the league would implement a sky judge that could have watched 1 or 2 replays while the refs converse about it and say hey guys, that's probably not a penalty, its a running QB and he is still in bounds. But since we don't have that, the conversation probably went: Did you have him in bounds? I had him at the line giving up on the play. Conversation over. 

Now, if I were Tomlin, I would have been livid a few drives later when Lamar tip-toed down the same sideline for an extra yard. I probably would have called a timeout just to get the time with the official to share with him my thoughts on why cam hit him. And I get it, but I have a near zero tolerance for the "woe is me the refs are against us because they called a penalty". 

The Judon thing drives me crazy, though, because I loath the "contacting an official" thing. To me, that rule needs to account for the contact that officials put on players or isnt directed at the refs. You will get a guy ejected because he is in a scrum with players, a ref will pull on his arm from behind, the player will react by trying to rip his arm free from what he probably assumes is another player and all of a sudden - player ejected because of forcible contact to a ref. Nope. Ref contacted him and player reacted. Judon was trying to rip his arm free and ended up hitting a ref accidently. They need to remove the inadvertent contact that happens from the equation or not allow refs to be the ones throwing themselves in the middle breaking up fights. 

45 minutes ago, warfelg said:

There should be a 5-yard penalty for what Heyward did, Peters should have lost the Ravens field position for two acts vs one act, Judon should have been penalized for his hit on DJ. It can be true that the reffing wasn’t bad because technically it was correct, but was not good because it didn’t truly assess the severity of the penalties. 

I dont know. This is a larger conversation about how to fix a scrum and I don't think anyone would really like the answer to that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

This stuff isn't hard to me. But officiating is and the are actually pretty darn good. Even the Heyward play, which I don't believe was a penalty. Don't want to get that penalty that extends what should have been a 3 and out? Don't hit a wrapped up guy that close to the sideline. 

I don't know man. That's my vent. The hatred of officiating is exhausting and stupid when its not officiating that's getting worse, it the way we view replays that is getting better.

somehow over the years the nfl rules got convoluted and fans  don't always know how the rule at that time actually reads .  The best example of such was the catch rule as my avatar eludes to . Still, the league could simplify rules but they refuse to only until they absolutely are forced to , such as the catch rule which everyone was sick of. Other rules could be made easier and more effective, then they could also allow a few challenges for DPI for example.  This league prefers to keep it in the dark, and instead have a 3 minute explanation from a former official, which is annoying and sometimes he contradicts the eventual decision and results in a live mockery.

I will take the win as a fan but prefer the calls and rules to be made as they should but know the refs are human and make mistakes.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Well it looks like Marlon Humphrey has Covid. Let’s hope he didn’t give it to Juju or anyone else on the offense.

if he didn't then I won't wear my mask in the store anymore, no need to, proven right there👏

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...