2020 Week #10 GDT Steelers vs. Bengals

Steeler Hitman

Biggest bummer about Ben to me will be his continued missed time with Diontae. They are peppering him with targets, for good reason, but all the missed time to work together between DJs injuries and now a week off of Ben just keeps them apart. 

I have full confidence Ben will be cleared Saturday, but I really want him and DJ to get locked on the field and just work. 

5 hours ago, August4th said:

how do we know Dupree is gone though? If he has a good season, won't they have the cap space to consider signing him? Or is it that you expect there to be a bidding war for Dupree? Too bad if he leaves, seems that he is really getting going after a rough beginning to the career.  Highsmith however , already looks the part and if he improves it will get results comparable to what Bud and TJ have going.  Not just another Jarvis Jones subway backer'  thats for sure. 

4 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Biggest bummer about Ben to me will be his continued missed time with Diontae. They are peppering him with targets, for good reason, but all the missed time to work together between DJs injuries and now a week off of Ben just keeps them apart. 

I have full confidence Ben will be cleared Saturday, but I really want him and DJ to get locked on the field and just work. 

what was the injury to his knee? I thought it would be a sprain somewhere, but nothing said that I know of. If he is out, then Mason will have to be ready.  I don't know how the bungles defence is but Burrow is going to make his plays so this team better be ready this week. If they play like they did vs the cowboys, expect a bad loss

13 hours ago, 3rivers said:

how do we know Dupree is gone though? If he has a good season, won't they have the cap space to consider signing him? Or is it that you expect there to be a bidding war for Dupree? Too bad if he leaves, seems that he is really getting going after a rough beginning to the career.  Highsmith however , already looks the part and if he improves it will get results comparable to what Bud and TJ have going.  Not just another Jarvis Jones subway backer'  thats for sure. 

I think he's going to be way too expensive for us. I think we could sign Bud, but we'd most likely lose Hilton, JuJu, Connor, and Feiler. I think we'll lose Connor anyway, but there's no chance with the Bud signing. Someone is going to pay him a ton, and I'll happily take a comp pick. 

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think he's going to be way too expensive for us. I think we could sign Bud, but we'd most likely lose Hilton, JuJu, Connor, and Feiler. I think we'll lose Connor anyway, but there's no chance with the Bud signing. Someone is going to pay him a ton, and I'll happily take a comp pick. 

What is the type of deal you expect him to get? Also, what would the comp pick be? 

Connor's new deal will be one to observe. He deserves a good deal, but history with injury and a league that has devalued RB's have me left with no real clue as to what he will get.  What RB's are going to be out there in UFA that you would consider?

48 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

What is the type of deal you expect him to get? Also, what would the comp pick be? 

Connor's new deal will be one to observe. He deserves a good deal, but history with injury and a league that has devalued RB's have me left with no real clue as to what he will get.  What RB's are going to be out there in UFA that you would consider?

Trey Flowers signed a 5/90M contract last season. He never topped 7.5 sacks. Bud had 11 last year and will probably get over 10 again. They're about the same age. I would bet Bud's deal will top Flowers', at least in a normal year. Who knows with covid?

ZaDarius is a pretty good comp too, he is around $16.5m/year. Dee Ford is at $17m/year. The biggest difference, though, is that a guy like TJ is looking at a $30M/year thanks to guys like Bosa and Garrett signing for $27m and $25m per respectively. That raises everyone's ceiling, so to think someone could go $20M per on Dupree really isnt out of the realm of possibility. 

I think Clowney is going to be a unique case study for teams though. Big name, good all around player but okay production and no one wanted to pay for it. Going to be interesting if teams take a harder stance on these guys hitting the market on the edge. But I think $16-$20M is probably a good bet for Bud, which I believe would net us a 3rd  

17 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Clowney and Bud had .5 of a sack difference coming into this year.  Bud has improved and Clowney has not.  Clowney wanted paid as a premium pass rusher which he is not.  I totally understand why teams did not want to pay more than $10-12M pr for him

Sacks, yes, but in most other rusher statistic Clowney has been superior to Bud*. Hurries, knockdowns, pressures and done it all while being involved in less blitzing. That's why I make the Clowney comparison. If you answer the question - is bud dupree a premier pass rusher? - the answer is probably no, but he is very well rounded. Last year the only thing that changed from his pass rushing were sacks. His hits, hurries, and pressures were the same YOY. This year has taken a huge jump - he is already at his last years numbers through half the games. 

But are teams going to look at the Steelers and Bud Dupree being good, but not a great pass rusher as part of just an impressive unit? That's Clowney-ish money. If they view him as a top tier pass rusher (something he is really only producing at this year), then its $20M per. 

Its going to be interesting to see how teams differentiate Dupree's situation. But it only takes one team. 

*Edit - Rushing the passer

Edited by Dcash4
  • Like 1

Steelers have 5 major FAs...Conner/Juju/Villy/Feiler/Bud

Conner probably gone and can be replaced worst case by a high pick.

Do I wanna pay Juju with Steelers history of drafting WRs?

Highsmith looks the part so far but no depth of he’s starting.

Best guess they keep Villy and maybe 1 other guy.

Big Ben/Decastro/Pouncey extensions will create enough cap room.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

Steelers have 5 major FAs...Conner/Juju/Villy/Feiler/Bud

Conner probably gone and can be replaced worst case by a high pick.

Highsmith looks the part so far but no depth of he’s starting.

Best guess they keep Villy and maybe 1 other guy.

Big Ben/Decastro/Pouncey extensions will create enough cap room.

I'd add Hilton to that list. I think he's played himself into that conversation this year. My hope is to bring back JuJu and Hilton. I'm hoping for Chuks or an early pick to play LT. Hopefully Dotson steps in at LG, and Highsmith and a FA signing to take over the OLB spot. Villy, Feiler, and Bud will potentially fetch us some nice comp picks. I think JuJu is pretty important for the offense. He provides a lot of toughness. I was iffy on bringing him back but the last couple of games has changed my mind on him. Not just because of his play, but also the play of the other WRs. 

I should also add, I don't think this is what the FO will do, just what I might do. 

5 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

Other side of the coin -- do you want to continue to spend top round picks on players that ultimately are forced to be moved on or only become depth pieces? Since Claypool has taken the 3rd spot, Washington has played 22%, 18%, and 18% of the snaps. James Washington, a 60th overall pick, has been phased out in his third year. That 60th pick could be huge right now in the form of an OT, ILB, S, etc. 

Hilton and JuJu are the top guys on my list. Sutton, Hilton, and JuJu is my dream scenario. 

• Like 2