Cam Sims

Vladimir L

I think a lot of us have wanted to see this Cam for years now it’s been cool seeing him grab the bull he’s actually opening things up and helping compliment Terry. This could be a huge step for this team and even Wright has looked alittle better. If we can get a stud TE to compliment Thomas I think we could maybe have something. Maybe Sims balls out and gives this team the 2 it needs

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Vladimir L said:

We need to see what he has. Has shown up lately. Love his size and seems to do well in zone coverage.

Steve Sims has been dissapointing though.

Agreed about Cam, he should be our starting WR moving forward and not lose that spot unless he plays poorly which I doubt happen. Inman is a JAG, AGG isn’t ready/healthy or better than Cam at this point and Wright is also a JAG. Cam deserves to start for sure. 

The only reason Steven Sims has been disappointing is bc he got injured which is out of his control. As I’ve said since his injury vs Arizona we’ve missed him in the slot and it’s really not fair to Haskins bc that was clearly Haskins’s #2 option last year after Terry and w/o S. Sims working the middle of the field, it’s clear that affected Haskins and for coaches to not know that is really poor analysis on their parts. Last year Haskins & S. Sims broke out together the second half of the year, the 2nd game of the year S.Sims gets hurt and Haskins has a poor game throwing two bad picks in the middle of the field vs the Browns, I mean the loss of S.Sims to his toe injury during the Cardinals game couldn’t be more obvious on the negative affect it had on Haskins and this offense as a whole in October and now into November.

We need S. Sims back, back into football shape and healthy the second half of this year. He’s a huge upgrade over Wright in the slot. S. Sims would be averaging 3 to 5 recs a game if he was healthy and 3 to 5 more yards per catch than Wright if he hadn’t gotten hurt. SSims is our 2nd best route runner after Terry, a threat to take it to the house every time he touches it and if he hadn’t gotten hurt I think after 8 games his stats would be 30 recs, 300 yards & 3 TDs.

I mean a perfect example is after Isaiah Wright muffed the punt in the first quarter, S. Sims replaced him as the punt returner. To set up our final drive of the game where Alex sadly threw the int, S. Sims had a 12 yard punt return and then on the next play he had a reception which he could’ve gained at least 10 yards on but he ran straight for the sidelines after catching it in the middle of the field and only gained 4 yards.

Both Sims’s should be playing/starting next week and the rest of the year. If they are I expect them both to average 4 recs a game the rest of the year w/ both of them averaging 10 to 13 yards per catch the rest of the year and getting a few TDs each in the second half of the year.

Edited by turtle28

34 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I think a lot of us have wanted to see this Cam for years now it’s been cool seeing him grab the bull he’s actually opening things up and helping compliment Terry. This could be a huge step for this team and even Wright has looked alittle better. If we can get a stud TE to compliment Thomas I think we could maybe have something. Maybe Sims balls out and gives this team the 2 it needs

Agreed about Cam, I think we’ve missed S.Sims - especially Haskins - more than people realize. A healthy S. Sims makes our offense more consistent bc of his work in the slot and his threat to take it to the house every touch. I’m glad he’s back, I hope they start playing him over Wright.

40 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

This is my guy. I think he’s a stud but that’s me. 

It’s not just young many people think that - I don’t think he’s a stud - but I’ve always been hopeful he could develop into a #2 WR that could catch 50-60 balls, 750 yards & 5 TDs for us a year.

36 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Don't tell Turtle this. He thinks Steven Sims walks on water...

*Reads the posts following this*

giphy.gif

😂 I know you’re being sarcastic. And I know you think he’s a jag which I’d argue we don’t even have at WR opposite Terry w/o a healthy S. Sims so, he’s still an upgrade there. I certainly don’t think S. Sims is anything extra special but think he can be an above average slot WR if he stays healthy. He got hurt and has missed 4 games and barely played in 2 others - like last Sunday bc he’s just not back into game shape yet.

I mean do we ignore that the last 7 games he saw starting snaps he had 29 recs, 362 yards & 4 TDs.

Extend that over an entire season and you have a #2 WR, don’t you? Or am I blind here??

Over a whole season that’s 65 recs, 825 yards & 9 TDs. Now that’s his ceiling in my eyes but that’s what his numbers through 7 games w/ starting stats say is possible over 16 games and no one can convince me that Haskins, Allen and now Smith didn’t miss that the first 8 games of the season except weeks 1 & 2 when S. Sims was healthy and he had 6 recs for 103 yards.

S. Sims played starter snaps as our slot WR in weeks 1 & 2 and he had 3 receptions and 50 yards and 53 yards in each game. 

You’re telling me that we don’t need that in our offense? Isaiah Wright’s ypc is 7 yards. Dontrell Inman offers no YAC. He gets open catches the pass and then where he catches it that’s it, he’s either tackled immediately or goes down when he doesn’t need to as he did a few times this year.

Cam Sims was a bright spot last Sunday but I’d put Steven Sims resume up as proving more as S. Sims had his production over 7 games, not just 1 half.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

😂 I know you’re being sarcastic. And I know you think he’s a jag which I’d argue we don’t even have at WR opposite Terry w/o a healthy S. Sims so, he’s still an upgrade there. I certainly don’t think S. Sims is anything extra special but think he can be an above average slot WR if he stays healthy. He got hurt and has missed 4 games and barely played in 2 others - like last Sunday bc he’s just not back into game shape yet.

I mean do we ignore that the last 7 games he saw starting snaps he had 29 recs, 362 yards & 4 TDs.

Extend that over an entire season and you have a #2 WR, don’t you? Or am I blind here??

giphy.gif

My general observations of Steven Sims, take it for what you will.

Steven Sims is a gadget player. He is explosive and shifty. He lacks elite speed, even though he is "fast". He is not a polished route runner. He worked very hard all offseason to improve and he came out looking no different than last year. Unfortunately for him, I think he has already peaked talent-wise. He clearly is more talented than Trey Quinn and is deserving of playing time as a slot WR option (WR3 at best), but NO defense will ever game plan for him or double cover him. He just isn't that guy. ALSO, he needs to never return punts again. I have watched him drop the ball enough to know that he is not cut out for that role. (Yes I know it was Wright that fumbled the punt) He needs to focus on being more than a slant/in/drag route guy. I would rather put McKissic back their returning kicks and punts over Sims/Wright/Johnson. (Hopefully that would free up more offensive snaps for Gibson.)

• Like 1

@Slappy Mc I don’t think I have ever portrayed S.Sims to be much more than what you are describing although I think you’re selling him a bit short on route running and by calling him at first just a gadget player and then contradicting yourself a few sentences later when you said he’s a #3 that defenses won’t game plan for and I agree there.

I certainly don’t think Steve Sims is ever going to be a guy you want as your #2, never be someone Ds game plan for like Terry but I’m fine with that.

I’m perfectly fine with my #3/slot WR catching 50-60 balls a year for 700-800 yards and around 5 TDs. 

I like those stats for a #3 WR.

Edited by turtle28

34 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

by calling him first just a gadget player and then contradicting yourself a few sentences later when you said he’s a #3

45 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

...and is deserving of playing time as a slot WR option (WR3 at best)

Don't misconstrue what I said. The only reason he deserves PT is because there is no one else. Honestly, he isnt much better than Isiaah Wright... also I never claimed him to be a #3, I think at his best he is a #3. I think if we had ANYONE (Maybe another Sims WR that had over 100 yards last week) that could catch a cold in winter that Sims would only see the field on Special Teams (which I have argued he shouldn't be doing either).  

8 hours ago, Vladimir L said:

I like him more than Harmon

6"5 and 220 lbs you cant teach this. He seems like he gets open when being covered by zone.

I like them both.  The great thing about both of them, is they are both willing and decent blockers. 

As you say 6'5" 220 is not something you can teach.  What you really got to hope for with a frame like that is that he becomes a red zone target.  He came out of college underdeveloped competing behind a list of big time WR recruits at a big time program.  He obviously had a lot of developing to do.  And I think he has developed.  But what I really notice is that it seems like every time he gets a few opportunities in a game, he makes a play.  The problem is, they always send him back to the bench or practice squad afterwards.  Hope he shows up if they give him a shot at a repeat performance.

• Like 1