The Eagles are a well-coached team, and it shows on third/fourth downs

Phire

28 minutes ago, nlesthought said:

I'm going to hold judgement until its a game that means something. AZ is beat up, if Carson doesn't slip a few tackles and throw some well placed balls that game is a lot tighter. Playing with a lead makes everything seem greener than what it is. 

Good teams beat teams they should beat. It’s just an indicator. Overall I agree that the sample size is too small. But can you really say this team has looked poorly coached? I think the verdict is in. The team understands the game plan and executes.

31 minutes ago, Phire said:

Good teams beat teams they should beat. It’s just an indicator. Overall I agree that the sample size is too small. But can you really say this team has looked poorly coached? I think the verdict is in. The team understands the game plan and executes.

I don't think jumping up 21 in the first is conducive of the game plan. The PR was a back breaker, now down 2 possessions only got the snow ball moving faster down the hill. 

EDIT: They are playing well. 

19 minutes ago, nlesthought said:

I don't think jumping up 21 in the first is conducive of the game plan. The PR was a back breaker, now down 2 possessions only got the snow ball moving faster down the hill. 

Well you’re focusing on one game. I’m talking about the entire season thus far. Also jumping up 21 in the first is a direct result of executing the gameplan perfectly. And then knowing how to handle a big lead is also indicative of preparation.

1 hour ago, nlesthought said:

How is it not conducive of the game plan???

You do know that the first 15 or so plays are always scripted right? How many TDs did we score while running those plays??

3 hours ago, BAConrad said:

How is it not conducive of the game plan???

You do know that the first 15 or so plays are always scripted right? How many TDs did we score while running those plays??

you know the first 15 were scripted? And never changed at the LOS? As I said they played well meaning execution was good in all 3 phases.  

7 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Well I'd counter by saying we've been doubled up on in the 4th quarter of 3 consecutive close contests (Chiefs, Giants, Chargers). I still have no faith in DP.

Think that has a lot to do with the fact that he is really bad at managing games. I am praising him for his game planning and ability to prepare the guys for games during the week. He has a lot to do when it comes to managing games and making adjustment. 

55 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Think that has a lot to do with the fact that he is really bad at managing games. I am praising him for his game planning and ability to prepare the guys for games during the week. He has a lot to do when it comes to managing games and making adjustment. 

This!! This thread isn’t about his play calling. It’s not about time management or decisions during games.

This is about preparing the team to execute. Can anyone here say the team has looked unprepared? Or confused? Or lacking discipline?

Think about this. Kenjon Barner has been on the team for a matter of days. He took snaps at running back! That is incredibly prepared. Especially in an offense that might check out of plays and audible. They somehow prepared Barner enough to put him on the field with the first team. 

And let’s talk about the audibles. Does anyone else peek at the play clock when Carson starts to audible? I sure do. How many delay of games? How many false starts? How many wrong routes? How many missed assignments? 

We audible at the line and that’s a complex thing to accomplish. Everyone is ready for it. Even guys who rotate in at OL, RB, etc. The entire offense is on the same page. That’s a well coached, well prepared team. 

The players are well coached there's no denying that. 

However that has more to do with the "Entire" Staff, rather then DTM. Yes as a HC he is responsible or at worse Involved in making sure all 3 phases are prepared but outside of maybe Wentz and that too is debatable (Reich,Defillipo) he's not coaching up and making sure these players know their assignments/job.

OL - Stoutland

DL- Wilson

Secondary- Undlin

LB- Flajole

WR- Groh

RB- Staley

ST- Fipp

DC- Schwartz

OC - Reich 

Im not saying DTM gets no credit for being a leader or well liked by the players but the Coaches listed above (1/2 dozen others) are the glue keeping this team competitive and DTM from Killing this team with his horrific play calling. Just saying!

1 hour ago, Phire said:

Doug letting his coaches do their jobs is also a positive quality. Remember when Reid lost control of his staff with Mudd, Washburn, and others doing their own thing? 

Oh god Washburn was such a disaster. Screw him and that ahole Babin

3 hours ago, Phire said:

Doug letting his coaches do their jobs is also a positive quality. Remember when Reid lost control of his staff with Mudd, Washburn, and others doing their own thing? 

Howie put together the staff though. So is Howie our really good head coach/gm?

27 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

Howie put together the staff though. So is Howie our really good head coach/gm?

Howie’s a good GM. But it’s still Doug all those assistants answer to. Just give the guy some credit lol 

Here's the thing people also forget...

How important having a veteran defensive coordinator with head coach experience is to head coaches like Doug (young, inexperienced, solely an offensive mind etc). Schwartz is basically the De facto assistant head coach out there. It's Doug's team, he is the head coach of course. But Schwartz is an elite defensive mind who has been a HC before and I think Doug basically entrusted the defense to him so that he can focus on the offense and not be overwhelmed.   

Essentially Doug just let's Schwartz run the defense and make all the decisions on that side of the ball. Let's just hope that they get along behind closed doors because I will be devastated if we lose Schwartz to a head coach gig, which he is just better off staying at DC. Some guys are like him in that they are elite coordinators but not great head coaches. Because they're two different (very much so) jobs. 

The Rams did it with McVay and Wade Phillips. Houston originally with BoB and Crennel. Atlanta did it last year perfectly by allowing Shannahan to be in full control of the offense, since Quinn is a defensive mind.

Credit should go to every coach in addition to Doug.. Reich and Fillippo for their development of Carson. Duce for what he's managed to do for our RBs.  Stoutland for managing our OL to stay great despite a 35 year old LT, two guys who rotate at LG,  a center who everyone wanted gone not long ago....

And then our defensive assistant who needs mad props is Undlin (Wilson a close 2nd) for what he's done with this secondary. He has helped turn Jenkins into a star over the years, McLeod was borderline elite in 2016 and has been banged up this year, and we've been decimated by injuries at corner yet he is able to get the best out of journeyman Patrick Robinson. 

And of course there's Fipp. IMO he and Schwartz are the two coaches in the entire staff that we HAVE to keep. They basically guarantee to give us elite coaching and play at their positions. 

From top to bottom this is one of the deepest and most talented coaching staff in the league. Guys like Fillippo, Stoutland, Schwartz, Undlin, and Fipp are all ELITE coaches in their respective 

Archived