Lions fire HC Matt Patricia & GM Bob Quinn; Darrell Bevell to be interim HC

chiefs82

17 minutes ago, Millenhater said:

Yes they should have.

Caldwell was average at best.  Patricia is one of the worst coaches in NFL history.  

I agree there should be some good candidates for GM and HC.

I agree with this. Caldwell wasn’t getting them anywhere. The thought process was correct. The execution of said thought however....

• Like 3

Caldwell was a good coach but wasn't getting us far. We were making the playoffs, a rarity, but still losing. We want continued success and he wasn't bringing it.

Patricia may not be one of the worst coaches in history, but he's certainly on the bottom end of the barrel. The stuff he said to players was incredible. He apparently told A'Shawn Robinson that he'd take his career away. I can't imagine the stuff that hasn't made it into the media.

Edited by nagahide13

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

If the moral of your story is "The Lions need better coaching..." well, that's sort of the point of a thread dedicated to the Lions firing their HC. 

I am 100% right and my iron fist would win multiple Super Bowls.

You and the other guy would win like 1 Super Bowl with your stupid lack of absolutes.

I am also done arguing this.

My point remains... IOL, ILB, WR, TE are all stupid compared to EDGE, OT, QB DL and DB.

Now leave me alone.

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I am 100% right and my iron fist would win multiple Super Bowls.

You and the other guy would win like 1 Super Bowl with your stupid lack of absolutes.

I am also done arguing this.

My point remains... IOL, ILB, WR, TE are all stupid compared to EDGE, OT, QB DL and DB.

Now leave me alone.

Just one more question. Then I'm done.

Based on your rule of absolutes, who would've been the right pick by the Raiders in 2007: JaMarcus Russell, Calvin Johnson or Adrian Peterson?

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Based on your rule of absolutes, who would've been the right pick by the Raiders in 2007: JaMarcus Russell, Calvin Johnson or Adrian Peterson?

...and scene. 

GIF by NBC

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

It’s funny because in theory I agree with Outpost. But team building is a nuanced process that requires adaptability even if you have the formula down otherwise every team would be successful.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

I'm sorry - did they change the meaning of appearance to win? If so, I gotta update my resume.

I mean, they've been to the NFC Championship 3 times since the Packers' Super Bowl win.  The only team with more NFC Championship appearances over that time is San Francisco.  They were man handled in their last two appearances, but it took a colossal collapse in 2014 that kept them from the Super Bowl.

16 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, they've been to the NFC Championship 3 times since the Packers' Super Bowl win.  The only team with more NFC Championship appearances over that time is San Francisco.  They were man handled in their last two appearances, but it took a colossal collapse in 2014 that kept them from the Super Bowl.

I wonder if having an all time, top 5 qb (most likely... if not better) has anything to do with this? If ROdgers finishes with only 1 SB, it will be a travesty given how good he was at his best. He was essentially what Mahomes is now.

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

QB.  Russell was right in theory, but wrong. 

Now let me rest.  It's the best you will get out of me. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

QB.  Russell was right in theory, but wrong. 

Now let me rest.  It's the best you will get out of me. 

Wow. You still went with Russell, despite knowing that he was a horrible pick that set that franchise back considerably, and that both Calvin and Peterson were elite players for a long time.

At least you're consistent.

(Thanks for answering, by the way. I sincerely appreciate the discussion, and the fact that you're willing to form and defend your opinion.)

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

We're not talking about NFCCGs, and it's not like Rodgers had to compete against Brady or Manning to go beyond those moments. People knock the hell out of Manning for not getting past Brady at the height of his run - but Rodgers seemingly gets a pass vs an NFC that never had a Patriots-like dynasty in their way.

That's a double standard, and it's high time it started getting called out for what it is. Either Rodgers is rated properly and he underperformed, or perhaps he is overrated and his shortcomings are appropriate.

We hold Manning to a high standard like this, why shouldn't we hold Rodgers to a similar standard?

Just now, ET80 said:

We're not talking about NFCCGs, and it's not like Rodgers had to compete against Brady or Manning to go beyond those moments. People knock the hell out of Manning for not getting past Brady at the height of his run - but Rodgers seemingly gets a pass vs an NFC that never had a Patriots-like dynasty in their way.

That's a double standard, and it's high time it started getting called out for what it is. Either Rodgers is rated properly and he underperformed, or perhaps he is overrated and his shortcomings are appropriate.

We hold Manning to a high standard like this, why shouldn't we hold Rodgers to a similar standard?

You're making an arbitrary standard, and I'm showing you.  Or at least attempting to show you that it's not a lack of success.  IF you are good 98% of the time, and you fall short because of a single game, why should you think any differently about the success?  The Packers went 15-1 in the year after the Packers won the Super Bowl, but lost in the Divisional Round to the eventual Super Bowl champions.  Does that make the Packers' season a flop?  I mean, if you're using Super Bowl wins as your barometer sure.  But they had a bad game, and they lost.  It's not like they got man handled.  They've had 2 losing seasons since their Super Bowl win.  Maybe disappointing, but certainly not underachieiving.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Maybe disappointing, but certainly not underachieiving.

I'm thinking it's more semantics than anything, but sure. With a QB of Rodgers' calibur, you'd expect more to show for it outside of Regular Season successes.

The general public hold this against Manning - sure, he's a first ballot HoFer and is a legendary QB, but he never did quote what was expected. It's that one blemish to his career, and people are quick to bring it up when discussing Manning.

All I am asking - why does Rodgers not get the same scrutiny? Manning won 2x the SBs, went to 4x the SBs - and that's while dealing with Belly and Brady. Who was Rodgers' great nemesis in that timeframe? Why didn't he become the big bully in the NFC, like Brady?