Lions fire HC Matt Patricia & GM Bob Quinn; Darrell Bevell to be interim HC

chiefs82

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Thurman Thomas (he was Marshall Faulk before Marshall Faulk in a different era)

Thurman Thomas went to a rival HS of mine (Willowridge HS, out in Alief) met him before (he's much older than me, mind you) and he's a nice and humble dude who legit loves talking football - if you get a chance to have a beer with him, he'll go on about how tough Jim Kelly was, how Andre Reed was the strongest human being alive, how Kenneth Davis was a top 3 RB in terms of pure talent - he'll go on and on, he's really cool like that.

• Like 3

It's easy to blame Patricia and not Quinn, but look at the players drafted in the first two rounds during Patricia's time as coach: Ragnow (C), Kerryon Johnson (RB), T.J. Hockenson (TE), Jahlani Tavai (MLB), Jeff Okudah (CB) and D'Andre Swift (RB). Those are picks that should shape a franchise, and two of them were RBs.

4 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

It's easy to blame Patricia and not Quinn, but look at the players drafted in the first two rounds during Patricia's time as coach: Ragnow (C), Kerryon Johnson (RB), T.J. Hockenson (TE), Jahlani Tavai (MLB), Jeff Okudah (CB) and D'Andre Swift (RB). Those are picks that should shape a franchise, and two of them were RBs.

Non impact players at every pick outside of Okudah (Which was a no brainer IMO). 

24 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Well, Ragnow has been a stud, but the returns on Johnson, Hockenson and Tavai have been underwhelming.

That's because they wouldn't have changed your fortunes if all 3 were All-Pros because they're a RB, TE and ILB. 3 of the least important positions in football. 

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

That's because they wouldn't have changed your fortunes if all 3 were All-Pros because they're a RB, TE and ILB. 3 of the least important positions in football. 

Edit: I completely disagree. If Hockenson was performing like Kelce, Johnson like Dalvin Cook and Tavai like Bobby Wagner, we'd be a much better football team.

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway

1 minute ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I'm confused: the returns on Johnson, Tavai and Hockenson have been underwhelming because they play "3 of the least important positions in football"?

Yes, they could be all pros and the final product on the field would be underwhelming. The Lions problem is that they waste high pick after high pick on RB, WR, TE, IOL, ILB, etc...

The Stafford-Suh-Fairley-Reiff-Ansah run was the last time you consistently picked premiums early, and to no surprise after those picks developed that was the best stretch on the field the team has had for years.

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Yes, they could be all pros and the final product on the field would be underwhelming. The Lions problem is that they waste high pick after high pick on RB, WR, TE, IOL, ILB, etc...

I edited late, so allow me to clarify: I disagree that Hockenson, Johnson and Tavai have been underwhelming because of their positions, which is what you said. They have been underwhelming because they aren't performing well. If Hockenson were playing like Kelce, Johnson like Dalvin Cook and Tavai like Bobby Wagner, the final product would be much, MUCH better, and Patricia would most likely still have a job.

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway

33 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I edited late, so allow me to clarify: I disagree that Hockenson, Johnson and Tavai have been underwhelming because of their positions, which is what you said. They have been underwhelming because they aren't performing well. If Hockenson were playing like Kelce, Johnson like Dalvin Cook and Tavai like Bobby Wagner, the final product would be much, MUCH better, and Patricia would most likely still have a job.

If you put those 3 players on the Lions (Kelce, Cook and Wagner), I think they are still #4 in the North. Maybe they sneak passed Minny and Chi because they're down this year, but 6-5 at best. 

Those positions do not change the fortunes of bad teams. The Lions need to stop wasting premium picks on them, and start building a secondary (Okudah helps), pass rush and OL.

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If you put those 3 players on the Lions (Kelce, Cook and Wagner), I think they are still #4 in the North. Maybe they sneak passed Minny and Chi because they're down this year, but 6-5 at best. 

Those positions do not change the fortunes of bad teams. The Lions need to stop wasting premium picks on them, and start building a secondary (Okudah helps), pass rush and OL.

What? The OLine has been fine. The pass rush has been horrible, although losing Flowers for an extended period of time hurt quite a bit.

But, yes, I completely disagree with your hypothetical. (Frankly, I think it's a bit crazy.) If we had three elite players instead of three average-at-best players, we're a vastly better football team right now, which isn't a hot take or anything: it's probably a true statement for most NFL teams.

2 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

What? The OLine has been fine. The pass rush has been horrible, although losing Flowers for an extended period of time hurt quite a bit.

But, yes, I completely disagree with your hypothetical. (Frankly, I think it's a bit crazy.) If we had three elite players instead of three average-at-best players, we're a vastly better football team right now, which isn't a hot take or anything: it's probably a true statement for most NFL teams.

That's fine, as a team in our division I hope your FO keeps it up too.