How hot is Jack's seat going forward?

RaidersAreOne

We all knew who JDR was as a coach when we brought him in years ago. He was a solid yet unspectacular hire. We needed stability and a direction in the worst way while we completely rebuild, and that is exactly what Jack did. Most predicted that he was the right man for the job to get us to a respectable level, but most likely not one to bring us to the Super Bowl due to certain limitations. He is a coach players love and respect. He has been a good mentor for all of our young guns and truly loves being a Raider. However he never has and never will be a great strategist or a creative Coach.

Fast forward to today. JDR has gotten us a respectable 21-16 record, especially compared to what we put up the previous 10+ years. We made it to that playoffs for the first time in ages last season, and had a handful of comeback/close wins. We have good players at a number of positions, with a few elite ones. We have a lot of the makings to be a consistent playoff team and straight up dominate games. However we simply aren't doing that.

Our Defenses quite frankly have been absolutely pathetic under JDR. For being such a Defensive minded guy with tons of experience in the league, we are constantly trotting out horrible units. Miscommunications and giving up massive plays in the secondary, not applying enough pressure, giving up big holes and poor tackling, not adjusting at half time, poor scheming overall, etc. The KNJ hiring was risky and has flopped to this point in time. Letting Musgrave go was shocking and has honestly hurt us. I am a big Downing fan but he looks to be in over his head with the inability to strategize and get our players the ball. We are playing uninspired football, lack any intensity, are getting out coached before and during the game. We are quite frankly playing WAY below our potential.

NOW, we are sitting 2-3 and the world is not ending. Our O has looked lethal, now it looks horrible. Our D looked lame, then decent, then resorted back to disappointing. To be honest, I don't think any Raider fan can sit back and be completely happy with our coaching staff right now and going forward, JDR included. He has had a number of years to get us to a respectable level like we all needed. However if we continue to be overall underwhelming, can't consistently play with effort, get dominated in the first few series to start off the game, can't fix our glaring and continuous woes, and ultimately fall short of the playoffs/first round exit, JDR may be needing to find himself a new job within the next year.

What do you think about our coaching under the JDR tenure? Are you happy with the results we have gotten thus far? Are you optimistic about this staff going froward? How long of a leash do you think Reggie and Mark will give him? Is this his last season in Oakland, or does he get 1-2 more years?

Only way JDR gets fired in the off season is if we finish 6 or less wins which won't happen. Don't get me wrong, I don't think JDR is a great coach and think we'd benefit from a different coach but we did go 12-4 last year and McKenzie/Mark don't give up on their investments so easily. 

KNJ is a goner though. No way he survives the off season if our D keeps playing this way. Should of been gone this off season IMO. 

For fans yeah he's seat is heating up but Mark Davis loves Del Rio, he hired him and then just gave him a new contract. Del Rio isn't going anywhere. The only coach Mark loves more is Jon Gruden, there is always rumor he will coach again and if he does it would probably only be for the Raiders but until that day. Del Rio is still the Captain.

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Only way JDR gets fired in the off season is if we finish 6 or less wins which won't happen. Don't get me wrong, I don't think JDR is a great coach and think we'd benefit from a different coach but we did go 12-4 last year and McKenzie/Mark don't give up on their investments so easily. 

KNJ is a goner though. No way he survives the off season if our D keeps playing this way. Should of been gone this off season IMO. 

You want a sig bet that? I already collected one scalp (even if he is partially welching). I need to add to the belt.

I have to believe JDR and the two Coordinators are on the hot seat.  If not now the team better improve significantly or the heat gets increased.  Can we turn it around?  Yes, but we are playing badly the last three games and I don't understand the justification.  Even Carr was not playing well.  This is a team sport so I blame this on coaching.  We have better talent than what we're seeing.  These losses are affecting my mental health. 

8 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

You want a sig bet that? I already collected one scalp (even if he is partially welching). I need to add to the belt.

Not sure what your obsession with KNJ is.. I will sig bet under the terms if our D keeps on this pace and finishes 20th or worse in Total Defense (YPG) or 20th or worse in DVOA (pick whichever one you want) and he still doesn't get fired in the off season, you win. If he does, I win. 

1 hour ago, OakRaiders3828 said:

Idk, what if we beat LA then beat the undefeated Chiefs on Thursday night? Is his seat still hot? Still early in the year. Let's see what happens. 

That's what's important. If. Honestly I thought that the Raiders would beat a team like the Ravens who have no depth but their offense put 30 points on this team. 30! Even the Browns played them closer. IF the Raider's lose this Sunday then they are tied with Chargers for the basement. A team that lost 4 of their first 5 games. I honestly can't trust the Raiders to beat the Chargers, the Bills, The Dolphins or the Chiefs. Del Rio's seat should be hot, what if there's not change, what if this team goes 7-9 the next 3 years and we waste 3 years of Carr and Mack on this coaching staff.

As a fan I want to see inspired football. I want to see stops on third down. I want to see creativity on offense. That's all on coaching. I mean look at the Rams, they where a terrible team with Fisher, McVay comes along and they are the class of the NFC West. I don't want this coaching staff to hold back the players anymore.

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Not sure what your obsession with KNJ is.. I will sig bet under the terms if our D keeps on this pace and finishes 20th or worse in Total Defense (YPG) or 20th or worse in DVOA (pick whichever one you want) and he still doesn't get fired in the off season, you win. If he does, I win. 

I'm not obsessed with him. Just not out for his head at every turn. It's easy to call for the coordinators to be axed when things don't go right. It's harder to look at the whole picture. I see a defense that is building year by year. They aren't complete yet and I don't believe they are gonna switch up now. Hence, my proposal.

If we were to go by the metrics you put on the bet than 1/4 of the defensive coordinators "should" have been fired last year, in your eyes, regardless of where the team is in the build process of the unit or the injuries suffered or the players that haven't had the chance to develop yet.

I put no limitations on the bet. He stays I win, if he is fired you do. If things are as dire as you say then you should have no issue accepting.

My feeling... unless Carr comes back on fire, this team is in trouble. KC twice, Den, NE, Buf, Philly, Dallas . . . . the defense can't hold any of them (aside from Denver) under 24 points IMO. It's on Carr and the offense to get it right and they will need 28+ per game to win most of their games against some good defenses.

Archived