NBA GDT | '20-'21 | KD returns to GS tonight!

11sanchez11

3 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Honestly, if LaMelo is smart he will learn to play D first and foremost. If he can be a steals guy plus an elite passer he can survive in the NBA

This is what blows my mind about Lonzo and LaMelo going in the top 3. They're good passers and thats literally it. Never seen dudes go in the top 3 for that reason alone. LiAngelo is probably better than these bums. I know Theo Maledon is a better PG than LaMelo and OKC got him in the 2nd round.

Maybe Magic (at the time) and Jordan being in charge of their teams has something to do with them getting overdrafted. Usually being that elite of a player doesn't correspond to being a good talent evaluator.

Edited by Kirill

11 minutes ago, Kirill said:

This is what blows my mind about Lonzo and LaMelo going in the top 3. They're good passers and thats literally it. Never seen dudes go in the top 3 for that reason alone . LiAngelo is probably better than these bums. I know Theo Maledon is a better PG than LaMelo and OKC got him in the 2nd round.

Maybe Magic (at the time) and Jordan being in charge of their teams has something to do with them getting overdrafted.

It HAS to be some combo of optics and potential. I mean, even us layman's can tell these kids have some talent. They played at a high level at multiple levels. They just can't get by on pure talent in the NBA. It isn't freaking possible. So franchises see the name value as butts in seats and eyes on the screen. They also see the raw talent and hope they can mold it into something. However, the kicker is these kids grew up full of themselves. Their father and then the media pumped them full of more hot air than naturally exists on planet Earth. They NEVER developed their skills because they believed so wholeheartedly in their pure talent they have the hubris to think they dont need to. Then they get to the NBA and they show flashes because talent will do that but they can't be consistent because they never developed their skills. 

10 hours ago, Kirill said:

This is what blows my mind about Lonzo and LaMelo going in the top 3. They're good passers and thats literally it. Never seen dudes go in the top 3 for that reason alone. LiAngelo is probably better than these bums. I know Theo Maledon is a better PG than LaMelo and OKC got him in the 2nd round.

Lonzo was light years ahead of LaMelo as a prospect though. He was one of the best players in college basketball at UCLA and actually shot the 3 well and scored efficiently. As a freshman he averaged 14.6 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 7.6 apg (2.5 to), 1.8 spg on .551 FG | .412 3FG | .673 FT. He shot over 40% from 3 on over 5 attempts for game at UCLA. 

13 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Cole Anthony >>> LaMelo Ball

Cole looks way better with NBA spacing (shocker) and LaMelo still can't consistently shoot. 1-10 tonight lol. He's gonna MCW with hype his way to a ROY.

Cole Anthony can actually shoot, is quick enough to get past guys off the bounce, and can hit shots off the bounce. LaMelo can do none of those things. 

15 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Like his bro lol

Lonzo can shoot tho, 38% on 6 attempts last year after he got some actual coaching on his shot. Pels shooting coach is goated, got BI splashing 3s too and gave AD a jumpshot early on in his career. 

That's the biggest difference between the two. Lonzo can shoot and space the floor while LaMelo is horrible. He's gotta learn like bro did. Lonzo's also of course a good defender and that's another huge difference, but I think the shooting is the bigger one. Both are elite passers and LaMelo has better handles.

1 hour ago, Spartica4Real said:

That's the biggest difference between the two. Lonzo can shoot and space the floor while LaMelo is horrible. He's gotta learn like bro did. Lonzo's also of course a good defender and that's another huge difference, but I think the shooting is the bigger one. Both are elite passers and LaMelo has better handles.

Yeah, the difference is though that Lonzo shot at a borderline elite level from 3 at UCLA and still struggled as a shooter early in his career. LaMelo has struggled to shoot at every level he has played at and shot like 25% on 7 attempts per game last season. Lonzo was also an excellent defender coming into the league and is a good defender now. LaMelo struggled defensively in Australia and now he has to project as a better defender in the league? 

LaMelo's huge for a PG and can pass but there's not much more to his game. He may score but he'll likely always be extremely inefficient. 

On 12/19/2020 at 10:22 AM, Kirill said:

Thunder rookie Theo Maledon leading all rookies in PPG in the preseason. Pokusevski leading the rookies in rebounds and 3PM and is top 5 in steals.

Poku is the most interesting prospect from the class, he has real unicorn potential. 

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Poku is the most interesting prospect from the class, he has real unicorn potential. 

The last time I saw a rookie this confident was Giannis and he came from the same league in Greece. Dude is 7'1 with a 7'8 wingspan with a stroke that looks like KD's. Last game against the Bulls he had a 1 on 4 fastbreak and he hit Markkanen with a behind the back crossover then hit a running skyhook in transition. Like half the time he touches the ball I'm like WTF is even going on.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kirill said:

The last time I saw a rookie this confident was Giannis and he came from the same league in Greece. Dude is 7'1 with a 7'8 wingspan with a stroke that looks like KD's. Last game against the Bulls he had a 1 on 4 fastbreak and he hit Markkanen with a behind the back crossover then hit a running skyhook in transition. Like half the time he touches the ball I'm like WTF is even going on.

Yeah, he's not a skilled big man, he's legit like a 7'1" guard/forward. He'll need to get stronger but that should come with time. IMO he has the highest upside of any player from the draft, he can be unreal if he hits ceiling. 

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah, he's not a skilled big man, he's legit like a 7'1" guard/forward. He'll need to get stronger but that should come with time. IMO he has the highest upside of any player from the draft, he can be unreal if he hits ceiling. 

Our GM also tried to get Porzingis in the same draft range with a draft promise but then Porzingis held out a year and his draft value went way up when teams learned more about him. Apparently we gave Poku the same type of draft promise, but we still had to give up Ricky Rubio, Danny Green, and two late 1sts to make sure we got him.That says a lot about what they think about this potential.

Theres some tweet I'll have to try and dig up that had an advanced stat spreadsheet comparing guys like Poku, Giannis, Luka and others based on their pre-NBA overseas advanced stats and Poku's entire bar was green where Giannis and Luka were mostly green. He also clearly does not give a single **** what anyone thinks about him. That will serve him well over the long hual cause I'm sure vets are going to be laughing in his face when some of the crazy **** he tries doesn't work. He looks like a superhero in the first act of a movie right now, just figuring out his powers.

Edited by Kirill