Jimmy G vs Jameis Winston

TecmoSuperJoe

Jimmy G vs Jameis Winston? Which gunfighter do you want under center?   

23 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you rather have as your triggerman?

• Jimmy Garoppolo
    • Jameis Winston

So @jrry32 decided to try and burn down the 49er forum, and there is a pretty clear divide on this question, so I wanted to put it to non 49er fans and see what the result is. On one hand you have: 

Jimmy G is on the books next year for a total of 26.4M cap, with only 2.8 Million in dead money. Helped get the team to a super bowl last year and statistically, was very impressive under Shanny. He has struggled with injuries in the past, and again this year, but if you look at his stats last year, they were very strong. Further analytics also support a very strong EPA last year, I'm pretty sure. 

On the other hand you have Famous Jameis, who had the bad sort of 30 / 30 season with 30 INTs and another 12 fumbles in his first and only year under Bruce Arians. He's long been considered an issue with his turnovers, and frankly, he seems to have maybe regressed in back to back years before signing on to be the back up (or third string, I guess?) in NO. 

This is the important part: Salaries are not equal. So would you rather have Jimmy at 26.4 next year, or Jameis at....lets say maximum 10 million for next year.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

Just to clarify this further because it is not an either / or situation and the money is kind of a big deal

So @jrry32 decided to try and burn down the 49er forum, and there is a pretty clear divide on this question, so I wanted to put it to non 49er fans and see what the result is. On one hand you have: 

Jimmy G is on the books next year for a total of 26.4M cap, with only 2.8 Million in dead money. Helped get the team to a super bowl last year and statistically, was very impressive under Shanny. He has struggled with injuries in the past, and again this year, but if you look at his stats last year, they were very strong. Further analytics also support a very strong EPA last year, I'm pretty sure. 

On the other hand you have Famous Jameis, who had the bad sort of 30 / 30 season with 30 INTs and another 12 fumbles in his first and only year under Bruce Arians. He's long been considered an issue with his turnovers, and frankly, he seems to have maybe regressed in back to back years before signing on to be the back up (or third string, I guess?) in NO. 

This is the important part: Salaries are not equal. So would you rather have Jimmy at 26.4 next year, or Jameis at....lets say maximum 10 million for next year.

Factoring in their salaries this is not even a contest. Mainly because I would rather not have either of these guys on my team.

• Like 1

Considering the money difference, I'd take Jameis. Without the money difference, I'd still probably take Jameis. There's arguably still upside there, and if he doesn't progress, you can cut bait and move on. With Jimmy, he is what he is. And that's QB purgatory imo. 

33 minutes ago, Nightime said:

Put Jameis on the 49ers and the Chiefs win Superbowl 54 in a blowout

My outside opinion, I don't think either QB is capable of elevating a team enough to win a SB, but if I had my choice between them I'm taking JG and it's even a question. Not just because the 49ers made the SB either. But mainly because they are both the quintessential game manager type QB's but are on far different levels in that regards imo. 

There's a big difference between a game manger who manages the game well without taking too many risks that leads to a turn over vs another who does.....and this is the big difference between the two to me.

Even in Shanny's offense, I don't think Winston will ever get away from this. He reminds me so much of Jay Cutler in the regard that I think HE thinks that he is better than he really is.

Looking forward, I personally look at JG as a career low-end starter and Winston as a slightly high career backup.

That's just my opinion. 

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

My outside opinion, I don't think either QB is capable of elevating a team enough to win a SB, but if I had my choice between them I'm taking JG and it's even a question. Not just because the 49ers made the SB either. But mainly because they are both the quintessential game manager type QB's but are on far different levels in that regards imo. 

There's a big difference between a game manger who manages the game well without taking too many risks that leads to a turn over vs another who does.....and this is the big difference between the two to me.

Even in Shanny's offense, I don't think Winston will ever get away from this. He reminds me so much of Jay Cutler in the regard that I think HE thinks that he is better than he really is.

Looking forward, I personally look at JG as a career low-end starter and Winston as a slightly high career backup.

That's just my opinion. 

So you would take Jimmy at 26 rather than have winston at 10? Just curious. Decent difference between backup and starter, so I'm assuming that's the case. 

Op wants to see who is favored in just a straight up skill comparison, but the conversation in the forum is actually based on cost efficiency, so I'm curious on both

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

So you would take Jimmy at 26 rather than have winston at 10? Just curious

Absolutely and not even a question.

JG gives my team the best chance to win. 16M difference for a QB who may help us to the SB vs another QB who I could get on any FA market for cheaper......no brainer.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

That's just my opinion. 

Jay Cutler isn't a bad comparison. But Jameis is 26. He still could grow as a QB. Jimmy is maxed out. Plus, I have to disagree that they're both game managers. For better or worse (often worse), Jameis is a gunslinger. But I'd rather take a shot on a guy who has the tools. If Jameis flames out again, I just move on. Jimmy is the type of guy who is good enough to keep you coming back but not good enough to elevate your team. He's an Alex Smith or Andy Dalton type imo. Plus, Jimmy is injury prone, and availability is everything with QBs.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Absolutely and not even a question.

JG gives my team the best chance to win. 16M difference for a QB who may help us to the SB vs another QB who I could get on any FA market for cheaper......no brainer.

Interesting. I was wanting to see a non niner fan go that direction. It's a mixed bag in the niner forum between the most vocal

7 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Jay Cutler isn't a bad comparison. But Jameis is 26. He still could grow as a QB. Jimmy is maxed out. Plus, I have to disagree that they're both game managers. For better or worse (often worse), Jameis is a gunslinger. But I'd rather take a shot on a guy who has the tools. If Jameis flames out again, I just move on. Jimmy is the type of guy who is good enough to keep you coming back but not good enough to elevate your team. He's an Alex Smith or Andy Dalton type imo. Plus, Jimmy is injury prone, and availability is everything with QBs.

Jimmy also has a turn over rate that is decidedly not "game manager" esque through his first 30 starts with the niners and is almost identical to Winston's first two years. But winston really struggled the last two and with Arians really blew it up. 

• Like 1