2018 NFL Draft Prospects - picks and draft board pg 1

WizardHawk

1 hour ago, resilient part 2 said:

Yes I get it there is an injury difference but if you need me to go back what about Roy Williams the defensive back he was considered a big-time playmaker . there are others as well just trying to make a point, then there is the cornerback from LSU whose name I shall not mention who the Cowboys move up for in a top 5 to get he was also a playmaker

Mo seemed to do well with a change of scenery in New York this year...but again, hampered by injuries. That's something you can't predict, at least in his case, as he was never an injury prone player in college if I remember correctly.

What killed Roy Williams, the defensive back, was losing Darren Woodson and the way offenses started playing. That's not really his fault. The game changed and as such basically took away what he was good at doing. I also don't really remember him being a turnover machine, more so just a big hitter. 

Give Jaylon a chance before writing him off, and go watch film on James. 

On 12/12/2017 at 12:22 PM, WizardHawk said:

Rewinding a little...Desmond King. Remember how badly some of us wanted him?  *sigh*  He's playing awfully well in SD......errr LA

I mean he does have Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram coming off the edges for him...

4 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

Yes I get it there is an injury difference but if you need me to go back what about Roy Williams the defensive back he was considered a big-time playmaker . there are others as well just trying to make a point, then there is the cornerback from LSU whose name I shall not mention who the Cowboys move up for in a top 5 to get he was also a playmaker

The best defenses in the NFL tend to have playmakers at safety and linebacker. Edge/perimeter defenders (DE and CB) make the most money because they have to play one on one and their skill sets are rarer but middle of the field defenders are the guys who are gonna be around the ball the most.

Just because we’ve missed on some picks at those positions in recent years doesn’t mean we can stop swinging. Roquan or Derwin would be a slam dunk IMO.

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

The best defenses in the NFL tend to have playmakers at safety and linebacker. Edge/perimeter defenders (DE and CB) make the most money because they have to play one on one and their skill sets are rarer but middle of the field defenders are the guys who are gonna be around the ball the most.

Just because we’ve missed on some picks at those positions in recent years doesn’t mean we can stop swinging. Roquan or Derwin would be a slam dunk IMO.

Depends who else we get to help out the front 7. 

6 hours ago, Desperado82 said:

Mo seemed to do well with a change of scenery in New York this year...but again, hampered by injuries. That's something you can't predict, at least in his case, as he was never an injury prone player in college if I remember correctly.

What killed Roy Williams, the defensive back, was losing Darren Woodson and the way offenses started playing. That's not really his fault. The game changed and as such basically took away what he was good at doing. I also don't really remember him being a turnover machine, more so just a big hitter. 

I m not writing off Jaylon, just saying a play-maker in college doesn't always equate to pone in the pros. 

2 hours ago, matt79511 said:

Not disagreeing with this and YES we need some play-makers. Just the idea that some of you guys are saying those particular players are a sure thing or close to it is what I am debating I guess. Carry on gents.

8 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

I m not writing off Jaylon, just saying a play-maker in college doesn't always equate to pone in the pros. 

That's certainly fair to say, but that is the thing about the draft...ya never really do know for certain. Have to take what information you have and hedge your bet it'll work out.

12 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Depends who else we get to help out the front 7. 

I think we do something at NT in free agency at least. Dudes like Poe and Logan went for 1-year deals last year, so it seems like guys will be out there and teams won’t break the bank for them. Could be losing Hitchens though.

11 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

Not disagreeing with this and YES we need some play-makers. Just the idea that some of you guys are saying those particular players are a sure thing or close to it is what I am debating I guess. Carry on gents.

I think Roquan is probably a safer bet than Derwin to be fair. And it is kind of hard to trust this staff to get the most out of a DB

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

I think Roquan is probably a safer bet than Derwin to be fair. And it is kind of hard to trust this staff to get the most out of a DB

You're assuming this staff is still around next year...at least the defensive one. 

I'm at a crossroads with what to draft on defense mainly because of the coaching staff.

We don't seem to utilize our secondary in a way to make plays.

If we get a different coaching staff, I would like to see what a lot of these guys can do in a different scheme. We have invested a lot over the last few years and everyone that leaves seems to step up their play.

Couple different outcomes

Option #1:

1st Round: Clelin Ferrell DE, Clemson
2nd Round: Dante Pettis WR, Washington
3rd Round: Dallas Goedert TE, South Dakota State
4th Round: Poona Ford DT, Texas
4th Round (comp): Jordan Thomas CB, Oklahoma
5th Round (comp): Bentley Spain OT, North Carolina
5th Round (comp): Fred Warner OLB, BYU 
6th Round: Kamryn Pettway RB, Auburn 
6th Round (comp): Khalid Hill FB, Michigan
7th Round: Wyatt Teller OG, Virginia Tech 

Option #2:

1st Round: Rashaan Evans LB, Alabama
2nd Round: Josh Jackson CB, Iowa 
3rd Round: Hayden Hurst TE, South Carolina
4th Round: Allen Lazard WR, Iowa State
4th Round (comp): Royce Freeman RB, Oregon
5th Round (comp): Brandon Parker OT, North Carolina A&T 
5th Round (comp): Cortez Broughton DT, Cincinnati 
6th Round: Cece Jefferson DE, Florida 
6th Round (comp): Riley Ferguson QB, Memphis 
7th Round:  Davontae Harris CB, Illinois State

Option #3:

1st Round (via TEN): Roquan Smith OLB, Georgia
2nd Round: Josh Jackson CB, Iowa 
2nd Round (via TEN): Anthony Miller WR, Memphis 
3rd Round: Dallas Goedert TE, South Dakota State
4th Round: Marcus Davenport DE, UT-San Antonio 
4th Round (comp): Poona Ford DT, Texas 
5th Round (comp): David Bright OT, Stanford 
5th Round (comp): Bo Scarborough RB, Alabama 
6th Round: Auden Tate WR, Florida State
6th Round (comp): Kurt Benkert QB, Virginia 
7th Round: Arrion Springs CB, Oregon 

On 12/13/2017 at 4:02 PM, Desperado82 said:

What killed Roy Williams, the defensive back, was losing Darren Woodson and the way offenses started playing. That's not really his fault. The game changed and as such basically took away what he was good at doing. I also don't really remember him being a turnover machine, more so just a big hitter

I think you are being a little lazy with your evaluation. And the bold is interesting. Roy Williams is the closest thing to a ball hawk we've had in decades. He had 5 picks in his rookie year in 2002, and another 5 picks in 2006. Totaling 17 interceptions in that span, while Woodson retired in 2003.

Prime Time Sanders had "only" 14 picks from '95-'99 as a Cowboy.

Williams is 8th all time in franchise history for forced fumbles(2nd all-time among DBs), and the 9th DB all time in franchise history for fumble recoveries. Who has been better than Roy since? And remember he put up all these stats in about 5 years.

Then the Manning\Brady era began coupled with him approaching 30 and it went downhill fast. I agree Woodson was beneficial but Roy continued doing well for about 3 years after Woodson left, and he is the closest thing to a ball hawk we've had in the last 30 years, while being one of the franchise's all time leaders in all turnover statistics. 

I think he was a tad bigger than just a hard hitter. He is better known on this site for his sudden decline and the embarrassment that followed, but for about 5 years he was one of our best turnover machines.... Ever.

On 12/13/2017 at 5:02 PM, Desperado82 said:

Offenses changing definitely hurt Roy Williams, however in the right system today, I think he would be good as the Hybrid Lineback/Safety type role. It worked well for Mark Barron, couldnt see why Roy wouldnt find success in that same system.

A lot of fans wanted to put him at a linebacker role but Tweeners werent the rave back then as they are now.

Archived