2018 NFL Draft Prospects - picks and draft board pg 1

WizardHawk

19 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

You are insane. If we can get death ro on this team again we should Sprint to the podium. 

He made some big plays playing within the system. Ro was good and had some tremendous games for us. But he was no star. He had the potential when he was picked (8th overall for a reason) but he never strung it together.

I loved him that year, but dont let that string of tremendous play over a half season overshadow what he was the rest of his career .. and im not talking anout his off field stuff.

Well regardless of how you rate Ro. Point was I dont see star potential in LVE. I see a good, solid, long term contributor. But do you want another Byron Jones type, that above the run of the mill but still pretty.much run of the mill defender...or.do you want someone who will help turn the tides of battle?

1 hour ago, Dallas94Ware said:

He made some big plays playing within the system. Ro was good and had some tremendous games for us. But he was no star. He had the potential when he was picked (8th overall for a reason) but he never strung it together.

I loved him that year, but dont let that string of tremendous play over a half season overshadow what he was the rest of his career .. and im not talking anout his off field stuff.

Well regardless of how you rate Ro. Point was I dont see star potential in LVE. I see a good, solid, long term contributor. But do you want another Byron Jones type, that above the run of the mill but still pretty.much run of the mill defender...or.do you want someone who will help turn the tides of battle?

Tremendous play and he was derailed by off the field issues. There was plenty of talk of him making the pro bowl if not for his injuries. Infact the entire defense elevated when he was on the field. Granted it wasnt Seattle like, but the fact was he had a major impact on a defense that was subpar at it's very best. And him taking over for Lee benifited us more then anything. He showed he could blitz, run stuff, and cover. He could have been a star and a multi pro bowler here.

1 hour ago, Desperado82 said:

A lot of people disagree with you on LVE. They see a player who has just barely scratched his potential.

And I cant argue that a guy who's only started for a season cant improve tremendously. I mean theres certainly room for it. I just dont see that impact player in him though. Hes a very solid, all around player with a lot of good football ahead of him. But superstar prowess? Just dont see it. No real stand out qualities. He will be good. But I want a grand slam this year..not a base hit, or even a double, f-it not even a two run triple. I need a grand slam. Someone whos going to turn the tides of battle. An atomic weapon. A code cracker. Someone to hunt U-boats. Etc etc enter more analogies here.

6 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

And I cant argue that a guy who's only started for a season cant improve tremendously. I mean theres certainly room for it. I just dont see that impact player in him though. Hes a very solid, all around player with a lot of good football ahead of him. But superstar prowess? Just dont see it. No real stand out qualities. He will be good. But I want a grand slam this year..not a base hit, or even a double, f-it not even a two run triple. I need a grand slam. Someone whos going to turn the tides of battle. An atomic weapon. A code cracker. Someone to hunt U-boats. Etc etc enter more analogies here.

Out of curiosity, who do you view as this type of player this year? Other than Nelson, Barkley, Chubb, or any of the QBs

43 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Out of curiosity, who do you view as this type of player this year? Other than Nelson, Barkley, Chubb, or any of the QBs

Derwin James will be a star, and a hof caliber one in the right role (perfect robber role for us)

Courtland Sutton's physical traits make him a potential star but very high risk

Ridley is going to have a long, under the radar Fitzgerald-like career and be a underrated stud 

Of course theres Edmunds and R Smith, but theyre likely going too high to trade up for.

Wynn is going to be a beast with how he comes off the line. 

Hernandez could be a real bulldozer and space maker.

I think theres star potential in some later round prospects but I wouldnt touch them in round 1. Guys like Tim Settle, Anthony Miller, DJ Chark,  Josey Jewell and Deshon Elliott.

5 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

A 6'4" 256 pound Mike LB with a 4.6 and a 40 inch vert has no stand out qualities? 

Physical measurables, sure. But he doesnt play all that fast. More burst than lateral speed and sideline to sideline ability. Good size and strength too. But on tape I just dont see it. Idk. He plays slower than his 40, albeit a nice jump to the hole/burst/first step. But I just, i dont see it? I cant explain it better than just saying on tape, outside of watching some highlight reel where you see only his good stuff, I just dont see that star studded potential.

He pursues fairly average. He hits pretty average. He attacks the ball just about on par with the average backer. On film he doesnt look lost, or bad in anyway. He just doesnt look thunderous or hawking or like he will ever be more than just pretty good. And thats not a bad thing, especially late in the first. And Im not against the pick, actually he is going to be my choice when I do my mock draft for the team later on. And I wouldnt hate it. I just think theres a time for a risk and a time to play safe, and this year, is a time to take a risk. Trade up, get James or Smith or Nelson even if he slides. Or trade out and stock up on safe players in the second and third and fourth rounds, maybe a chance of Sutton in the early second if you trade out...but do something risky and thing big this year. Not safe. LVE is safe. And im bored, and fed up, with safe.

As for LVE, again imnot opposed to the pick. Im going to mock him when I do my mock later, even. But geez. Id like to see movement this year. Go up and get someone. Trade out and stock up on value picks later. Something to break the every flowing slew of safe selections dictated by need!

And if LVE ends up being a star, hey, id be happy to eat my words. I mean Ive been a recruiter, scout and coach but obviously not some NFL GM who makes a fortune on this stuff. I could be just as wrong as any of you could be wrong. And thats the fun in all this stuff as fans. I may not see it, you might, Nd thats ok. Point is, if LVE is the pick (I think it will be) and he bombs out or ends up being another B Jones pick...i will forever say I told you so. And if he is the pick and he becomes the next Mike Singletary, hell, you all can feel free to say I told you so, also :P

8 hours ago, Desperado82 said:

A lot of people disagree with you on LVE. They see a player who has just barely scratched his potential.

Because it's true. There are LB's far less athletic then LVE who have been to the pro bowl many times. Unless D94W is questioning his work ethic and or smarts in order to achieve that potential then fine but I would like to hear that argument. Because physically LVE is one of the more talented LB's in the league the moment he is drafted because there is nothing wrong with him in that department.

8 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Because it's true. There are LB's far less athletic then LVE who have been to the pro bowl many times. Unless D94W is questioning his work ethic and or smarts in order to achieve that potential then fine but I would like to hear that argument. Because physically LVE is one of the more talented LB's in the league the moment he is drafted because there is nothing wrong with him in that department.

Im not knocking his measurables in any way. To be his size and run a 4.6? Thats good stuff.

I just dont see it on the film though. He is supposed to run fast, but he plays slow. He is supposed to be instinctive, but Insee him beat on the stretch. Hes supposed to be a sideline to sideline mike type, but I see him get beat to the corner. 

Not that he looksnbad either though! I mean this is a guy who can really be a tackle machine and really hit the gaps hard. He chases hard and tackles well, is smooth enough to play a zone and shows pretty good awareness on the field.

I guess what im saying is, he is talented, but I dont see him playing that way. He plays well, and hell, again, Im almost certain Dallas selects him if available (I can see him going one pick earlier to Seattle or as high as to the Ravens actually). For good reason. Hes a safe, solid, all around player. I just dont see that extra special something in him when I watch him. He will be a good longterm player. But I dont expect, based solely on watching the entirety of his games, him to be more than that. And if thats all he is, thats still good. But md? This year im banking on a 4 run shot 500 feet to the second level, because thats what the team needs.

Archived