Alex Smith out vs Seahawks

notthatbluestuff

3 hours ago, One said:

Smith needs to hang up his cleats for his own health. He's got a lot of guts and should win Comeback Player of the Year unanimously, but risking that leg is not worth it.

I'm a huge Alex Smith fan, but he absolutely should not win comeback player of the year. He simply wasn't that good this year. I understand the feel-good story of it, but he has in no way earned the award.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

I'm a huge Alex Smith fan, but he absolutely should not win comeback player of the year. He simply wasn't that good this year. I understand the feel-good story of it, but he has in no way earned the award.

The problem is, there's no actual criteria to the award I'm pretty sure. There's no requirement that you play well to win; the severity of an injury could easily be worth more than the quality of play to a voter.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Forge said:

The problem is, there's no actual criteria to the award I'm pretty sure. There's no requirement that you play well to win; the severity of an injury could easily be worth more than the quality of play to a voter.

That is entirely possible that they give him a "Greta Nobel Peace Prize", but so yuck if they do. Comeback player of the year, in such a challenging and exclusive sport, should go to the best comeback player of the year. It felt funny to write that 😅.

On 12/19/2020 at 4:52 PM, NudeTayne said:

but hes clearly going to.

just like coach of the year is mostly "team you thought would suck, but didnt"

8 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

but hes clearly going to.

just like coach of the year is mostly "team you thought would suck, but didnt"

See, while I don't entirely disagree, I would suggest you're kinda making my point. Coach of the year might not win the Super Bowl, but they're most likely going to be on a playoff team and even more likely on one of the top five teams or so (as well as how you pointed out them drastically improving a crap team, for example).

A lot of folks want to give the award to Stefanski--great choice--and that is both because the Browns sucked last year and also because they are 10-4, most likely are gonna make the playoffs for the first time in forever, and have fairly consistently played well this year. Alex Smith is a bottom-10 QB right now.