Week 7 | Other Games Thread

IDOG_det

GOTW  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which should be the Game Of The Week?

• #24 Texas Tech @ West Virginia
    • #12 Oklahoma @ Texas

2 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I’m interested to see what the committee would do if there are a lot of one loss conference champs, and Bama were to lose to UGA. Their strength of wins, outside of Auburn, who would probably then fall to the 10-15 range, would be very poor. But, they might still be viewed on a pedestal. I personally am a believer that the conference title game should be treated as an eliminator/playoff game.

I disagree with the last sentence. 

If two teams from one conference are clearly superior, that shouldn't be an eliminator just because that game comes late in the year. 

Same way that at the time of the Oklahoma - OSU game, that shouldn't have been treated as an elimination game. 

Just now, RollEagles said:

And Georgia would have Florida, South Carolina, Kentucky, and Georgia Tech as well. Those are all teams with the potential to close the year out ranked. 

I bring those teams up because if we're going to consider Louisville to be a good win for Clemson, those teams I just listed would need to be in that conversation. 

Literally all those teams received votes to be ranked this week but missed the Top 25. Just like Louisville.

Clemson also plays South Carolina and GT...

And I don't consider Louisville a marquee win at this point (which is why I didn't list them). 

11-1 Georgia (with a loss in the SEC Championship to an undefeated Bama) is not making it over a 12-1 Clemson.  I would be willing to bet a ton of money on that.

Just now, PAW said:

Clemson also plays South Carolina and GT...

And I don't consider Louisville a marquee win at this point (which is why I didn't list them). 

11-1 Georgia (with a loss in the SEC Championship to an undefeated Bama) is not making it over a 12-1 Clemson.  I would be willing to bet a ton of money on that.

If Clemson's loss wasn't to a team like Syracuse, I'd agree. But that is such a poor loss. Maybe if the loss was to Virginia Tech. But not Syracuse.

2 minutes ago, MD4L said:

Clemson will be fine if this is their only loss.

Yea, it is really no different than losing to a 7-5 Pitt team (at home).  I doubt more than 1 P5 team finishes undefeated.  Alabama the only team last year.  Clemson the only team the year before.  No one the year before.

I think it comes down to how Clemson looks.

If they crush the rest of their schedule and win the ACC, they're probably in.  The committee would view this as a hiccup.

If they struggle to put away less talented teams, even if they win the ACC, I'm not as sure.  

Just now, PAW said:

Yea, it is really no different than losing to a 7-5 Pitt team (at home).  I doubt more than 1 P5 team finishes undefeated.  Alabama the only team last year.  Clemson the only team the year before.  No one the year before.

Florida State was undefeated in 2014.

1 minute ago, RollEagles said:

I disagree with the last sentence. 

If two teams from one conference are clearly superior, that shouldn't be an eliminator just because that game comes late in the year. 

Same way that at the time of the Oklahoma - OSU game, that shouldn't have been treated as an elimination game. 

I get the logic, that you want the four best. So, maybe it’s my personal thinking. I just see it as a situation where you know that in a situation like that, for a conference title game, the stakes are evident. An earlier season loss is slightly different, as it would be in the NFL. I guess there are holes in the CFB setup as a whole, and the subjectivity makes things tough. Right now, my favorite setup to transition towards would be an 8-team playoff with your 5 power five conference winners and 3 at-large teams. For now, I have a hard time leaving out a team that wins their conference title for a team that loses a seemingly playoff type of game. Personal preference.

If Clemson wins out they'll be ACC Champions, and victories over NC State, South Carolina, Georiga Tech, FSU, & and ACC Costal champion. That'll be added to Louisville, VTech, and Auburn. That's a impressive resume.

1 minute ago, NateDawg said:

I get the logic, that you want the four best. So, maybe it’s my personal thinking. I just see it as a situation where you know that in a situation like that, for a conference title game, the stakes are evident. An earlier season loss is slightly different, as it would be in the NFL. I guess there are holes in the CFB setup as a whole, and the subjectivity makes things tough. Right now, my favorite setup to transition towards would be an 8-team playoff with your 5 power five conference winners and 3 at-large teams. For now, I have a hard time leaving out a team that wins their conference title for a team that loses a seemingly playoff type of game. Personal preference.

I understand the personal preference part. 

I think I just don't value conference championships as much. Just because some conferences are just better than others in any given season. 

I like the 8 teams. I think that solves a lot of problems.

Just now, RollEagles said:

Besides discussing hypotheticals, why should anyone have any confidence that Clemson will win out after this game?

I think that’s a central point here. They have showed no evidence that they are a legitimate title team. Things can change I suppose, and there’s always CFB chaos. In the end though, the goal isn’t to make the playoff, it’s to win it. Not seeing the same team as last year.

4 minutes ago, RollEagles said:

Besides discussing hypotheticals, why should anyone have any confidence that Clemson will win out after this game?

Because it was one game (the odds of anyone going undefeated regardless of how good you are are very low).  This is the same team that dominated Auburn, Louisville, and VT.  And the same team that before this game, everyone was saying there was Alabama and Clemson and then everyone else based on this year. 

It won't surprise me if we lose again because I have always thought Tony Elliot is awful and that was highlighted tonight and Dabo prefers rotating players in every game instead of developing a killer instinct.  But we don't just suck because we laid an egg tonight.  Just like we didn't suck last year when we should've lost to NC State, played Troy close, lost to Pitt, etc.

If Bryant is out a while and Dabo sticks with Cooper, we will definitely lose again.  Even with how bad we played today, I think we win if Hunter Johnson played the second half.

Archived