Week 7 | Other Games Thread

IDOG_det

GOTW  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which should be the Game Of The Week?

• #24 Texas Tech @ West Virginia
    • #12 Oklahoma @ Texas

Just now, Ragnarok said:

I had late class and then was walking my dog.

Cliff notes on how the hell that happened?

Syracuse played better and Clemson didn't have Kelly Bryant in the 2nd half. Syracuse did solid on defense and Clemson struggled to figure out that offense

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

I had late class and then was walking my dog.

Cliff notes on how the hell that happened?

Clemson's defense was not the machine they had been coming in. Syracuses offense (receivers/QB) was their usual high tempo selves without any turnovers. Clemsons defensive line was the only group which played up to their talent. Also once Kelly Bryant got injured before halftime Clemson's offense became a bit more suspeptible to the Cuse defense.

Just now, PAW said:

There is no chance the loser of the SEC Championship game makes the playoff unless 2 power 5 conference champs have 2 losses.  That's the only way (assuming both undefeated) and they would deserve it in that case.  Georgia will have one good win all year if they lose to Alabama which would be Auburn.  

In this scenario, here would be the "good wins":

Clemson:

• vs. Auburn (currently ranked 10th)
  • at Louisville (currently unranked, is this even a good win at this point?)
  • at Va Tech (currently ranked 15th)

Georgia:

• at Auburn (currently ranked 10th)
  • at Notre Dame (currently ranked 16th)

Then you're comparing losses. Undefeated Alabama vs. Syracuse. 

Georgia > Clemson in that situation. Without a question. 

A one loss Big Ten champ is guaranteed in over Clemson. By the end of the year, with games left to play, the wins are just better. Hard pressed to see the quality of loss not being far better also. If Bama were to lose one and win the SEC, they’d probably make it over Clemson even though their wins wouldn’t be as quality. Same as UGA. They’d be likely to have a more quality loss. Then you have to assume Clemson wins out and is fighting for one of the last two spots with the PAC and Big XII. You still have undefeateds in those conferences. Even if you have one loss champs coming out, there’s still a conversation to be bad. 

Besides, if Clemson did make it, it likely doesn’t end well. They have some glaring weaknesses and are not a championship team this year. 

Just now, IDOG_det said:

Syracuse played better and Clemson didn't have Kelly Bryant in the 2nd half. Syracuse did solid on defense and Clemson struggled to figure out that offense

Even with Bryant, Syracuse was the better team.  Awful coaching all the way around tonight. 

Just now, IDOG_det said:

Just now, MD4L said:

Clemson's defense was not the machine they had been coming in. Syracuses offense (receivers/QB) was their usual high tempo selves without any turnovers. Clemsons defensive line was the only group which played up to their talent. Also once Kelly Bryant got injured before halftime Clemson's offense became a bit more suspeptible to the Cuse defense.

Thanks.

Losing a QB mid-game is a difficult thing to overcome.  

I'm surprised Cuse's OL was able to hold up if the Clemson DL played up to their talent.  Guess Cuse has a better OL than I realized.  

4 minutes ago, PAW said:

There is no chance the loser of the SEC Championship game makes the playoff unless 2 power 5 conference champs have 2 losses.  That's the only way (assuming both undefeated) and they would deserve it in that case.  Georgia will have one good win all year if they lose to Alabama which would be Auburn.  

If Georgia keeps playing like they have all season, they will give Bama problems and I can see Georgia upsetting Bama.

3 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

But if i was Clemson im concerned with run defense. Our running game sucks. Our QB is always our best run offense. We havent been able to run on a D2 squad but we were able to run on freaking clemson

Maybe it was just an anomaly?

Coming into the game Clemson was ranked 8th in YPC allowed.

1 minute ago, RollEagles said:

In this scenario, here would be the "good wins":

Clemson:

• vs. Auburn (currently ranked 10th)
  • at Louisville (currently unranked, is this even a good win at this point?)
  • at Va Tech (currently ranked 15th)

Georgia:

• at Auburn (currently ranked 10th)
  • at Notre Dame (currently ranked 16th)

Then you're comparing losses. Undefeated Alabama vs. Syracuse. 

Georgia > Clemson in that situation. Without a question. 

You're forgetting a ranked NC State team and another ranked team in the ACC Championship in that scenario. 

I’m interested to see what the committee would do if there are a lot of one loss conference champs, and Bama were to lose to UGA. Their strength of wins, outside of Auburn, who would probably then fall to the 10-15 range, would be very poor. But, they might still be viewed on a pedestal. I personally am a believer that the conference title game should be treated as an eliminator/playoff game.

Just now, PAW said:

You're forgetting a ranked NC State team and another ranked team in the ACC Championship in that scenario. 

And Georgia would have Florida, South Carolina, Kentucky, and Georgia Tech as well. Those are all teams with the potential to close the year out ranked. 

I bring those teams up because if we're going to consider Louisville to be a good win for Clemson, those teams I just listed would need to be in that conversation. 

Literally all those teams received votes to be ranked this week but missed the Top 25. Just like Louisville.

Archived