2020-21 Coach of the Year candidates

Malfatron

16 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

I would agree..  but that titans loss was a bad beat.

The Browns lost 38-6 to the Ravens, 16-6 to the Raiders, and 38-7 to the Steelers but Stefanski is still at the top of the list. Those are all bad beats. It's not realistic that a team will have a perfect season and pointing to (1) loss doesn't discredit a whole season. I'd go 1a and 1b McDermott and Stefanski. 

Idk if it's enough for me to say he should win it but I feel like it's flown under the radar how gutsy the move from Flores was to bench Fitzpatrick in the middle of a winning streak and commit to Tua. At the time it happened, a lot of people said it was a mistake because of how well Fitz was playing, and after Fitzpatrick made some pretty pointed comments about it publicly it felt like the sort of situation that could go south pretty quickly in the locker room.

Flores seemingly navigated that situation really well and solved things internally because no real QB controversy ensued and it has worked out perfectly for Miami where they're both competing for a playoff spot, getting important reps for their franchise QB to help him develop, and seeing him improve week to week as a result. Probably the biggest in-season coaching move made among the big contenders for COY and deserves some credit for that. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, incognito_man said:

That defensive turnaround has been interesting. They went from worst in points allowed in 2019 to best. But they invested HEAVILY in free agency as well. Nice job by the leadership of that team to completely flip that defense from top to bottom this offseason. Makes you wonder how much is coaching and how much is talent though - if Flores lead the worst defense, then got a LOT of a talent in free agency.

I'd say its a bit of both. The players that were signed in free agency, besides Byron Jones, weren't All-Pros: Van Noy, Ogbah, and Lawson were all decent at best. A defense doesn't go from last to #1 by just adding four players. There were few glimpses of what Flores runs now last year but he needed capable players to fully install it. Minkah Fitzpatrick wanted out because he had an issue playing multiple positions so we had to move our next best CB, Bobby McCain, to FS. Our DEs from 19' were backups and or free agents. We lost S Reshad Jones and CB Xavien Howard for the year early in the season having to rely on practice squad players to replace them. Flores didn't have much to work with.

There has been tons of player development too: Eric Rowe was a CB halfway through the 19' season and now he's one of the better safeties in the NFL, Nik Needham was unbearable as UDFA rookie last year and is now excelling at slot corner, and Zach Sieler was on the Ravens practice squad and is now one of our best players on the DL. Jerome Baker's career was in question at the end of last year and now he's the leader of the defense and playing his best ball. Not to mention the improvement from rookies DT Raekwon Davis and S Brandon Jones.

Edited by Ajayii
edit
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Idk if it's enough for me to say he should win it but I feel like it's flown under the radar how gutsy the move from Flores was to bench Fitzpatrick in the middle of a winning streak and commit to Tua. At the time it happened, a lot of people said it was a mistake because of how well Fitz was playing, and after Fitzpatrick made some pretty pointed comments about it publicly it felt like the sort of situation that could go south pretty quickly in the locker room.

Flores seemingly navigated that situation really well and solved things internally because no real QB controversy ensued and it has worked out perfectly for Miami where they're both competing for a playoff spot, getting important reps for their franchise QB to help him develop, and seeing him improve week to week as a result. Probably the biggest in-season coaching move made among the big contenders for COY and deserves some credit for that. 

Bingo! People were making it seem like Fitzpatrick was a top 10 QB when we made the change lol. I was in the same boat with you once Fitz made those comments though, thinking there's no way this doesn't blow up in their face. The offense still isn't where it needs to be, mostly because of personnel and the OC imo, but seeing Tua overcome unfavorable situations week-to-week has been a sight to see. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

If the Dolphins make the playoffs, I'd be surprised if it's not Flores. Else, I'd be surprised if it's not Stefanski.

While Reid and McDermott have been excellent, the award typically goes to a coach that turns around a team. I'd put McDermott as a close 3rd though if Flores and Stefanski both lose out, though.

Basically where I'm at. I think both Flores and Stefanski are pretty equally deserving assuming their teams make the playoffs.

I'd put McDermott third. Everyone knew the Bills were going to be good, but maybe not many expected them to be an arguably elite team.

And then I'd put a guy like Reich as a fairly distant fourth.

3 hours ago, The BILLievers said:

The Browns lost 38-6 to the Ravens, 16-6 to the Raiders, and 38-7 to the Steelers but Stefanski is still at the top of the list. Those are all bad beats. It's not realistic that a team will have a perfect season and pointing to (1) loss doesn't discredit a whole season. I'd go 1a and 1b McDermott and Stefanski. 

Not sure Flores has had a bad beat... i might be forgetting a game.

• Like 1