2020-21 Coach of the Year candidates

Malfatron

1) Brian Flores if he goes 11-5

2) Andy Reid if he goes 15-1 and Flores falls short of 11-5

3) Kevin Stefanski if he goes 12-4 and Flores falls short of 11-5, and Reid falls short of 15-1

Notes:

- Let’s not forget how absolute 10000% trash that Miami team was. The turnaround has been nuts. If Flores goes 11-5, the award is his IMO. I do not believe in a 10-6 record getting COTY though, so he has to win out. 

- Let’s not forget how impressive 15-1 actually is.... tremendous job by Andy Reid. 

- Stefanski has done a marvelous job with Cleveland. Seriously, great coaching hire. He did have way more to work with than Miami though, and Cleveland could of excelled last year if Kitchens wasn’t such a horrible Head Coach. 

5 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Who’s a better QB, Baker or Goff?

I’m being genuine when I ask this.

These are the 2 QBs that get the most help from their offensive coaching staff and system. I don't mean that as a knock against either of them, but look at both of them in the different (way worse) offensive systems they were in previously.

The more fun question is what quarterbacks, if placed in either the Rams or Browns offense, would have more success than Goff or Mayfield have had? I think someone asked a question like this in the comparisons forum recently about Goff.

EDIT: As for the question, give me Mayfield.

Edited by minutemancl

Stefanski and Flores have both accomplished what they were brought in to do (i.e. turn around the culture of perennial loser franchises) within a 2-year window. I wouldn't be mad if they both got the award. 

I would put McDermott a close 3rd because he's more or less done the same. It's just that he's a defensive coach and the offense has been largely carrying that Bills team. 

4 hours ago, The BILLievers said:

Obviously biased but ill take Sean McDermott.

The Bills have (3) loses this year, 1 vs. KC and the Titans. The other against a lucky hail mary vs the Cardinals. This team could be looking at a 14-2 record without that Cardinals game. 

He has made the post season 3 out of the 4 years he's been here; after the Bills had a drought of 15 years!

I would agree..  but that titans loss was a bad beat.

2 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Who’s a better QB, Baker or Goff?

I’m being genuine when I ask this.

Today? Goff. Before you throw numbers at me, Goff doesn't have the running game or protection Baker does this year. McVay took the Rams from the #32 scoring offense in 2016 to #1 in 2017. Stefanski has engineered an impressive turnaround, but the offensive turnaround pales in comparison to what McVay did in 2017. We more than doubled our PPG numbers (from 14.0 to 29.9). FWIW, I've always liked Baker and stuck up for him earlier in the year when people were trashing him.

5 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Let’s not forget how absolute 10000% trash that Miami team was. The turnaround has been nuts.

That defensive turnaround has been interesting. They went from worst in points allowed in 2019 to best. But they invested HEAVILY in free agency as well. Nice job by the leadership of that team to completely flip that defense from top to bottom this offseason. Makes you wonder how much is coaching and how much is talent though - if Flores lead the worst defense, then got a LOT of a talent in free agency.

Just now, incognito_man said:

That defensive turnaround has been interesting. They went from worst in points allowed in 2019 to best. But they invested HEAVILY in free agency as well. Nice job by the leadership of that team to completely flip that defense from top to bottom this offseason. Makes you wonder how much is coaching and how much is talent though - if Flores lead the worst defense, then got a LOT of a talent in free agency.

It's not just talent. They're well coached, and their scheme can really cause opposing QBs trouble.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Goff doesn't have the running game or protection Baker does this year.

That’s fair, but do you know why our protection is better than last year? Stefanski brought Bill Callahan here and we changed systems.

I will also concede Stefanski had a much better talent base to pool from, but this was still a 6-10 team last year. Very realistic chance he doubles the amount of wins from last year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

That’s fair, but do you know why our protection is better than last year? Stefanski brought Bill Callahan here and we changed systems.

I will also concede Stefanski had a much better talent base to pool from, but this was still a 6-10 team last year. Very realistic chance he doubles the amount of wins from last year.

Trust me, I understand the value of an OL Coach. Kromer (and Whitworth) saved our OL. I gave Stefanski my vote for COY. I'm just saying he hasn't put himself in the McVay offensive tier yet. But he might in the next few years. We'll see.

6 minutes ago, Starless said:

They went 5-4 down the stretch in 2019 and upset the Patriots to close out the season. They were clearly improving after a rough start. This year is just the continuation of that upward trajectory. 

I don't disagree with anything. Just pointing out they added a ton of pieces on that side of the ball and it was an impressive turn-around. Credit to their GM whoever it is.

4 hours ago, ReggieCamp said:

I'd say it's between Flores and Stefanski. They've both exceeded expectations the most.

Reich is a dark horse, since they are trotting out the ghost of Phil Rivers.

Reid and McDermott are great, but their teams came in to the year with high expectations.  Unlikely they win imo.

People keep saying that but he’s been pretty decent last 6-8 weeks. Also he statically has the same stats as Baker who’s having a “breakout” year lol.

Edited by Blackstar12