ANTONIO GIBSON update

WED, DEC 23, 12:37 PMROTOWIRE.COM

Gibson (toe) participated in the walk-through portion of Wednesday's practice, Rhiannon Walker of The Athletic reports.

Spin: Per JP Finlay of NBC Sports Washington, Gibson also put in some work during team drills before hitting the sideline to consult with the equipment crew about his shoes. Gibson has missed the past two games due to a bout with turf toe, but his presence on the field both last Friday and to start this week is a decent sign that he's trending in the right direction. Washington will reveal how much work he was able to handle when it releases its first Week 16 injury report later Wednesday
  • Like 1

Dwayne Haskins took first-team snaps at Wednesday's practice. 

Alex Smith was at practice, but watched as Haskins operated with the first team offense. Apparently Haskins is allowed to practice after violating COVID-19 protocols by going maskless to a strip club. Smith was seen throwing to the side of practice. Probably we won't know Smith's Week 16 status until Friday afternoon. Haskins would be a superflex option if he gets the nod. 

RELATED: 
Dec 23, 2020, 1:10 PM ET

17 minutes ago, 4209 said:
WED, DEC 23, 12:37 PMROTOWIRE.COM

Gibson (toe) participated in the walk-through portion of Wednesday's practice, Rhiannon Walker of The Athletic reports.

Spin: Per JP Finlay of NBC Sports Washington, Gibson also put in some work during team drills before hitting the sideline to consult with the equipment crew about his shoes. Gibson has missed the past two games due to a bout with turf toe, but his presence on the field both last Friday and to start this week is a decent sign that he's trending in the right direction. Washington will reveal how much work he was able to handle when it releases its first Week 16 injury report later Wednesday

I don’t see him being very effective if he plays.

6 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t see him being very effective if he plays.

So you think he could be a little rusty and maybe the toe is not quite heal. We will see later how much he will be able to handle. Maybe they will ease him back. Hail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, 4209 said:

So you think he could be a little rusty and maybe the toe is not quite heal. We will see later how much he will be able to handle. Maybe they will ease him back. Hail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the toe won’t allow him to push off correctly. Rust isn’t an issue here, it’s health.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

Then they need to let Leake or someone else carry the ball more.  We need balance on offense this week.

McKissic had 21 touches last week between short receptions and runs, he accounted for 107 yards (5 yards per touch) and a TD. I’d argue we got plenty of production from our starting RB last week.

Also, Leake isn’t the answer. If he was, he’d get snaps and they wouldn’t have signed Lamar Miller. Leake wasn’t even the starter in Maryland; MacFarland was. As @e16bball said, I have no clue why he left UMD. He needed another year in college. He and Funk this year at UMD would’ve been an awesome combo.

Edited by turtle28

22 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

McKissic had 21 touches last week between short receptions and runs, he accounted for 107 yards (5 yards per touch) and a TD. I’d argue we got plenty of production from our starting RB last week.

Also, Leake isn’t the answer. If he was, he’d get snaps and they wouldn’t have signed Lamar Miller. Leake wasn’t even the starter in Maryland; MacFarland was. As @e16bball said, I have no clue why he left UMD. He needed another year in college. He and Funk this year at UMD would’ve been an awesome combo.

We didn't on the ground.  I believe we had 56 yards of rushing from our running backs.  That isn't just kind of bad, it is terrible.  We essentially asked Haskins to win the game with his arm which was the one thing we shouldn't have done to a young developing qb in an important game that was his first start in a long time.  I wouldn't count on the offense succeeding this week if that is the game plan again.  Haskins should be dropping back <40 times, not 60.   If we do that again, I wouldn't be surprised if we see 3 interceptions.  

23 minutes ago, offbyone said:

We didn't on the ground.  I believe we had 56 yards of rushing from our running backs.  That isn't just kind of bad, it is terrible.  We essentially asked Haskins to win the game with his arm which was the one thing we shouldn't have done to a young developing qb in an important game that was his first start in a long time.  I wouldn't count on the offense succeeding this week if that is the game plan again.  Haskins should be dropping back <40 times, not 60.   If we do that again, I wouldn't be surprised if we see 3 interceptions.  

5 yard passes to a running back are an extension of the running game. What’s the difference between Alex/Haskins throwing it to McKissic or Gibby when he was healthy and them taking that 5 yard pass breaking a tackle and going for 10 yards plus? I’d argue nothing. It’s about gaining yards, not how you obtain those yards.

Haskins had McKissic wide open for a 10 yard reception on one of his interceptions in the first half. If Haskins completes that pass, McKissic goes for 5 plus more yards. Those are the plays that Alex makes which Dwayne has to get better at instead of forcing it downfield and then it’s intercepted.

Edited by turtle28

15 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I think he’s going to give it a go. How effective he’ll be is another question.

That is a mistake.

@Thaiphoon, correct me if I'm wrong, but unless you are 100% back from turf toe, you don't "give it a go." This is one of those injuries that just lingers unless you give it tons of rest. As much as I want Gibson on the field, I want him on the team for a long time coming. If his toe isn't ready, don't force him out there.